• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pants/Jeans become baggy over time.

AB01

Reaction score
They start off skin tight, especially jeans, and then a month later the hip area is baggy and a belt is necessary. I don't want them skin tight, but I don't want the baggy look either. I'm also worried about buying stuff too small incase it does not stretch.

Should I be buying jeans super tight? Is that what you guys do to offset stretching?

Just ordered some jeans in size 30w. Store called to say 30w is gone nationwide and if I'll like the 29.

If the 29w is too tight, especially in the testicle area
ffffuuuu.gif
, is this the right size anyway since they stretch? My most recent jeans was a 7 for all Mankind size 30w, though the 31w was right for me if jeans didn't stretch.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
you obviously have a belt so just wear a belt every time you wear them starting with day 1?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AB01
They start off skin tight, especially jeans, and then a month later the hip area is baggy and a belt is necessary. I don't want them skin tight, but I don't want the baggy look either. I'm also worried about buying stuff too small incase it does not stretch.

Should I be buying jeans super tight? Is that what you guys do to offset stretching?

Just ordered some jeans in size 30w. Store called to say 30w is gone nationwide and if I'll like the 29.

ffffuuuu.gif
, is this the right size anyway since they stretch? My most recent jeans was a 7 for all Mankind size 30w, though the 31w was right for me if jeans didn't stretch.

if your buying raw denim (especially shrink to fit) you need to buy whatever size corresponds to your actual waist ... generally this means you size down 1 or 2 sizes in most raw denim to account for stretching. if your jeans are to large after a few wears you need to go down a size or two or three.

if you buying **** denim (7 for all mankind, etc) the trick to buying is to first find a size that fits you the way you like and then buy a size down to account for stretching.

AB01

Reaction score
So what I am hearing is to get skin tight jeans and not worry about the testical pain as the jeans will be a couple sizes bigger after wearing. Confirm?

I'm just surprised this isn't the most common issue on the SW section.

Edit: Just noticed the post above. No, they are not raw. Just middle-end.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeans shouldn't hurt, esp if they're not raw

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So what I am hearing is to get skin tight jeans and not worry about the testical pain as the jeans will be a couple sizes bigger after wearing. Confirm?

I'm just surprised this isn't the most common issue on the SW section.

Edit: Just noticed the post above. No, they are not raw. Just middle-end.

if you have ball cleavage you clearly have the wrong cut. go with a higher-rise cut and use the info from my earlier post to figure out your size.

no jeans should be skin tight, no matter what it is. if you have this issue you need to look at another cut, have a ball removed or buy sweatpants and call it good.

AB01

Reaction score
Well, I'd like to try the dressing room trick, but they only have a 32 and a 29 which hasn't come in yet. Straight leg, medium rise.

It must be really popular and the reason it is selling out in all locations at regular price. The wash/colour is unique and yet dressy. Nothing I can find anywhere else. The 29 should arrive in a few days and I'll know if I can handle them or have to pass of them.

Vaio

Reaction score
Just get your actual waist for 7FAM. They don't bleed like raw denim does and you can just wash it to shrink it back to size.

Also, your legs might be too buff/fat for slim jeans. They shouldn't be crushing your testicles unless you're wearing them too high/too short of a rise.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vaio
Just get your actual waist for 7FAM. They don't bleed like raw denim does and you can just wash it to shrink it back to size.

Also, your legs might be too buff/fat for slim jeans. They shouldn't be crushing your testicles unless you're wearing them too high/too short of a rise.

7FAM, and typically most designer jeans and/or mall brands are sanforized, prewashed or preshrunk. So they won't shrink when you wash and/or tumble dry them, other then shrinking them back to original state after the denim has been stretched out. You could opt to take a size down from your true waist (not tagged, since measurements don't always correspond to what tag implies) to account for stretch. Another optionis to buy a belt that prevents your waist from stretching, this way you don't have to suffer pain when you decide to wash your jeans.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ffffuuuu.gif

Originally Posted by tween_spirit
you obviously have a belt so just wear a belt every time you wear them starting with day 1?

I agree. If you just wear a belt from day 1, you'll minimize the amount that the waist stretches out going forward.

If you get into higher end Japanese denim, some of the denims are woven tightly enough so that they stretch less.

AB01

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Okay, I'll just come out and say it.

The jeans I am looking to get are "crappy" Hugo Boss jeans. Not a brand I associate with quality, but like I said, these are somehow unique. Any experience with HB, please let me know.

My previous jeans were 7FAM size 30 which has stretched to a good size (could go with a bit tighter) and 31 Ernest Sewn which is baggy now after 2 years. Washing didn't help, but then again, I didn't use the dryer.

All jeans are different. 7s in grey rather than blue of the same standard fit were baggy compared even to already stretched standards of the same size. It's like a guessing game.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
this is like one of the most frequenly asked newb questions around SW&D. The short answers are:
all jeans will stretch. in most cases what you're dealing with is preshrunk so they will only get bigger from the size you originally bought them at. Most pants are vanity sized by 2 inches, so for example I have a 30'' actual waist. I buy size "28" pants, ie I've 'sized down' to account for the vanity sizing, for wool pants or khakies that don't stretch, that's fine. Then I take into account the fact that these will stretch in the case of jeans, and size down another 1-2 depending on the cut and denim weight. Something like Diors or Nudies are slim to begin for me so I only go down 1 or maybe even keep true size and just wear a belt so the waist doesn't stretch too much. For something like 7FAM I know it's so loosely woven (but it's so soft!) that it's going to stretch like a mofo so i'd go down 1-2. So I would wear APC's in a 26, ie I can't close them when I buy them since hte waist is 28-29inches and my waist is 30 but within a week they've done a lot of stretching... I think 7FAM's fits are a little all over hte place IIRC.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Okay, I'll just come out and say it.

The jeans I am looking to get are "crappy" Hugo Boss jeans. Not a brand I associate with quality, but like I said, these are somehow unique. Any experience with HB, please let me know.

My previous jeans were 7FAM size 30 which has stretched to a good size (could go with a bit tighter) and 31 Ernest Sewn which is baggy now after 2 years. Washing didn't help, but then again, I didn't use the dryer.

All jeans are different. 7s in grey rather than blue of the same standard fit were baggy compared even to already stretched standards of the same size. It's like a guessing game.

I've worn Hugo Boss jeans before, though I have to admit, not since 2002 or 2003. I remember that those had a fair amount of stretch to them, so definitely wear a belt from the get-go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads