• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Pants fit and covering shoe opening

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is some information on the forum about this, but still everyone gravitates towards the slimmer cut pant styles. After a trip to the tailer, she pointed out that the hem/ leg opening was really too narrow for my shoe size. I am tall and lean (6' 4", ~190 lbs) with an 11E/11EE shoe size, so the leg of the more tapered pants I think looks better on me, but the bottom opening is I believe too small. If I manually place it in the right spot, it barely covers the shoe opening, but when walking around it catches on the shoe opening and doesn't look right in my opinion. I prefer it to hang over with a bit of a break.

Basically (taken from WAYWRN):

I want this.

This is too narrow.

I mean to rip on no ones style, the latter look just isn't for me. The pics aren't perfect, but you get the idea.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree. Reality is you can taper down a leg that is wider but there are no outlets to make the opening circumference wider.

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
you are clearly too often on SF if you can tell to whom the shoes belong in the pictures....

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also agree. I think an overly narrow opening can exaggerate the size of the foot, and perhaps even the waist of the wearer. I generally like mine to cover about a third of the shoe.

Last edited:

wannabe

Reaction score
I've gotten a lot of shit about this on WAYWT threads. Being short and wanting a slim fit, I've started off with the "too-tight-so-you-basically-see-the-whole-damn-shoe" to what I would interpret as "getting-better-but-not-there-yet".

I'd like to think that at least the top couple shoelaces should be covered, so more or less about 1/3 of the shoe.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ I can't compete at that level.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 59 17.2%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 115 33.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 104 30.2%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.5%
  • 9”

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.0%