• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pants Cuff Size Formula?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is constant debate on here about cuffing/not cuffing, but also with respect to the size of cuffs. Some of the shortest members here wear 2" cuffs; some tall people wear none. With that in mind, is there a standard way to figure out cuff size based on inseam? Do you have a particular way of doing this? I realize that leg opening size, pants slimness, and amount of desired break all play a role as well. I have around a 30" inseam, and am having trouble figuring out the ideal cuff size.

mdesq

Reaction score
I look in the mirror and see what looks right. I've got a ~31" inseam and I often find that a 1.5-1.75" cuff looks nice, but it depends on the fabric weight a pattern a little too. I'd trust your instincts.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1.5" you can't go wrong (with a 30 inseam). I go 2 or more but then again I am 6'4" tall.

The Transporter

Reaction score
I'm with bigbris. At 6'4" the 2" cuffs seem about right for our size and could go deeper. Anything less than 1.5" seems a little narrow, even with a shorter inseam.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do 2". At any height, I think it looks good. As far as formula, I suppose it depends how conservative you want to be. But sometimes adherance to any formula may just not look good to your own eye, even if it is "correct."

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Style of trou or suit has an impact as well as the opening.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PG has a point, I find that bigger cuffs look better when the width of the bottom of the pants are narrower.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that deeper cuffs also look better with no break or a half break. They can look dopey with a full break or the standard way-too-full break.

Also I like deeper cuffs more on mid- to heavy weight fabric. With lightweight cotton pants that I will not iron, I do not get cuffs.

All this stuff is personal taste & prejudice. Try everything and then do what you like, when you know what you like.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Preference and intuitive consideration of what looks correct.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foot length, too. If someone has feet that are very large for his height, he probably should aim for the larger end of the cuff size range for someone of his inseam.

virumque

Reaction score
Brooks Bros. made to measure tailor advises that traditional suit trousers have a 1 3/4 inch cuff.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 inches, no break. It grew on my tailor so much that he now recommends it to everyone.

It is the sexy way to do a cuff.

He still credits me with turning him from a 1.5 inch, slight break guy (for decades) to now being a raving lunatic for 2 inches, no break.

And by no break, in no way do I mean "flood pants." I mean that the front of the pant leg should tickle the top of the shoe.

Try it and be converted forever.

inlandisland

Reaction score
I just ordered some red chinos that should have a tailored fit, little or no break and a 2" cuff... I am 6'1". I am looking forward to getting them and seeing how they look... I don't currently have any cuffed pants, but SF is getting inside my head!
tinfoil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads