• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pants are always too small! Tailoring advice please.

cube99

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum, and would like to get your advice on adjustments to suit pants.

I wear size 40R jackets. Usually a perfect fit. Unfortunately the pants that come with the suit are really way to small around the waist (usually 4 to 5 inches), and there isn't enough material in the back of the pants to make up for the difference (usually only 1 or 2" are available).

If I take some extra-material from the the bottom of the pants, i think technically a good tailor could add it to both sides of the waist seams to get my waist fit. But am worried that it might be very noticeable. I have never seen this in person.

Can anybody who has done this comment on the results and would you recommend it? I know an alternative is going bespoke, but was just wondering if the pants adjustments per above is a feasible way to go from a results/appearance perspective. Additionally can anyone recommend a very good tailor in the DC/MD/VA area?

Thanks very much!

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum, and would like to get your advice on adjustments to suit pants.

I wear size 40R jackets. Usually a perfect fit. Unfortunately the pants that come with the suit are really way to small around the waist (usually 4 to 5 inches), and there isn't enough material in the back of the pants to make up for the difference (usually only 1 or 2" are available).

If I take some extra-material from the the bottom of the pants, i think technically a good tailor could add it to both sides of the waist seams to get my waist fit. But am worried that it might be very noticeable. I have never seen this in person.

Can anybody who has done this comment on the results and would you recommend it? I know an alternative is going bespoke, but was just wondering if the pants adjustments per above is a feasible way to go from a results/appearance perspective. Additionally can anyone recommend a very good tailor in the DC/MD/VA area?

Thanks very much!

I don't recommend adding cuff material to the waist. Even with a good tailor, I don't think you will like the results. One option is suit separates. These are suits where you buy the jacket and pants separately, so you can pick your size. Unfortunately, suit separates tend to be low-end and poor quality. There are probably exceptions to this, and maybe someone can recommend some decent separates.

Another alternative (cheaper than bespoke) is Made-To-Measure. While not as customized as bespoke, this option allows you to tweak certain aspects of the suit. Changing the drop (difference between jacket and pants sizes) is one of these tweaks.

The third possibility is getting off-the-rack made-to-order. Most MTM places will let you do this as well. They will place an order for the suit in the sizes you require without any tweaks. This should be the same price as off-the-rack. This may be your best bet over MTM and bespoke. If you are relatively new to suiting and aren't necessarily sure what you like yet, it is better to avoid bespoke and MTM.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be a very bad idea to do as you suggest and would look more than simply noticeable...

Your choices are either go to a shop where jackets and trousers are sold as separates, then MTM or at the the of the tree, bespoke.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
it would work on a plain cloth. because the cut off cloth being narrow, would
need to be used horizontally. so that the pattern would not match.
the plain cloth would show the seams where the extra cloth was added.
the addition would be a large V with a seam down the middle.
it would not show only you kept the jacket on.

heres a thought. talk it over with your tailor.
get a suit with pleated trousers.
since the waist is the only concern have him do this.
let out the waist in back. thats 2"
let out the two small pleats. thats another 2"
if thats not enough the two large pleats can be
partially reduced in depth to make up the difference.
and yes the cut off from the trouser bottom must be used to
extend the waist band. it will hardly show under your belt.
this will work better if the extra waist measure you carry is toward the
front and sides rather than in the back.

Last edited:

cube99

Reaction score
Thank you folks.

hi "msulinski" no I am not new to suits but am kinda tired of getting nice quality suits one size larger than I need only so that the pants fit and then adjusting down the jacket size. I also tried full canvassed bespoke and unfortunately where I am now despite having nice cloths/fabrics, the tailoring is a hit or miss...the other options suggested would unfortunately not work for me.
"a tailor" I did what you suggested with the pleats on one of my canali suit pants and worked out great. Now though most of my suits pants are flat without any pleats, so I will try adding the extra material on the side with one pair of pants and see how it goes. If it really looks horrible, I will stop there and then!

Again many thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads