• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pants and shoes problem! Awkward photos inside

spi02

Reaction score
Hey all, So I recently purchased a pair of trousers that flare obnoxiously when seated as so...
img0307rm1.jpg
img0306ud5.jpg
This happens on several trousers I've tried on... any ideas what causes it? Front rise, back rise? Also, I recently received a pair of RL Stantons from GVH that have some strange discolorations that seem polished on. Can a cobbler (or I myself) fix this up with some polishing?
img0310bv5.jpg
img0314iv1.jpg
img0312wh6.jpg
(strange black streak in the last photo ... came with the creases
frown.gif
) Thanks for the help. The forum's been great, but it's been a terrible time for my wallet to discover it
smile.gif
. Regards

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
trousers are made for standing not sitting. if they were made for sitting you would not be able to stand. measure the distance from the fork of the crotch to the top of the waistband, do this standing and sitting. that excess cloth must go some where.
but from the photos it looks as though the rise may be too deep. that would make matters worse.

kjm

Reaction score
Are your pants pulled up where they're supposed to be? It looks like you're wearing them too low. Also, I'd try to exchange the shoes. I like the Stantons a lot, but you should not have to deal with the scuffs and mystery marks.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Italian Polo shoes aren't great for quality control. I don't know that I would send them back, personally, but if it bothers you, you should exchange them. With time and polish, I'd think the marks would fade, but they might not disappear entirely.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks like you just have too much material in the 'rise' area. the pants are pleated and as a tailor stated, your rise is probably too long...

as for the shoes...they're minor and would eventually disappear after several rounds of polish/wear/polish/patina/wear/polish etc.

spi02

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'll keep the shoes. Do you think a tailor can do anything about the trousers or is there simply no easy way to reduce the amount of excess fabric?

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spi02
Thanks everyone. I'll keep the shoes. Do you think a tailor can do anything about the trousers or is there simply no easy way to reduce the amount of excess fabric?

it's doable, but from what I understand, can be expensive.

Unless those pants were ridiculously expensive or a family heirloom, I'd trash them and put that money toward buying flat fronts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads