• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pantherella wool socks?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What exactly is the difference between wool and cotton socks? (Asked by a person from a tropical country where wool socks are not used.)

I'm told Pantherellas are the best of the lot, and what's a good price for these?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quick search would have revealed that wool socks stay drier and provide better cushioning and that some members prefer them even in tropical climates and summers. Several threads about Pantherellas being bought for cheap at STP and discounters would've also appeared on the computer screen, replete with prices and members' opinions on how much they would and wouldn't pay for socks.

You might want to try it.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, okay. To be honest, I'm a little confused by the old threads. Pretty conservative Pantherellas are on STP for about $17 to 19 apiece, cotton and merino wool ones. However, some old threads say $5 to 12 is the good bargain while others say something below $20 is good.

How do you specifically rate the $17 to 19 price for merino, in mid-2006?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Okay, okay. To be honest, I'm a little confused by the old threads. Pretty conservative Pantherellas are on STP for about $17 to 19 apiece, cotton and merino wool ones. However, some old threads say $5 to 12 is the good bargain while others say something below $20 is good.

How do you specifically rate the $17 to 19 price for merino, in mid-2006?

Jose: I live in a tropical climate and wear Pantheralla wool blends every day, except for Fridays, when I wear Pantherella cotton socks. Their wool blends are great in the tropics and a good bargain at <$20 on STP. Buy without reservation, both in cotton and in the wool blends.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify all those stories about $5 to 10 Pantherella wool socks, might it be accurate to say that these are not common finds in West Coast discount stores like Marshalls and TJ Maxx, or East Coast equivalents like Filene's?

I ask because I have zero wool socks and it occurred to me to invest in several pairs for the colder Boston months. Buying even half a dozen pairs even at STP's discounted <$20 price, however, is a signficant amount, and I'm in no hurry.

Then again, when I was in California last, I only saw one Marshall's with Pantherellas, and they were really zany colors in the 10-13 size.

Also, while I'm asking on the subject anyway, I saw a bunch of complaints from people who were size US 10 and 11 and bought the 10-13 size. I wear US 9, so the regular size should be fine on me?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify all those stories about $5 to 10 Pantherella wool socks, might it be accurate to say that these are not common finds in West Coast discount stores like Marshalls and TJ Maxx, or East Coast equivalents like Filene's?

I ask because I have zero wool socks and it occurred to me to invest in several pairs for the colder Boston months. Buying even half a dozen pairs even at STP's discounted <$20 price, however, is a signficant amount, and I'm in no hurry.

Then again, when I was in California last, I only saw one Marshall's with Pantherellas, and they were really zany colors in the 10-13 size.

Also, while I'm asking on the subject anyway, I saw a bunch of complaints from people who were size US 10 and 11 and bought the 10-13 size. I wear US 9, so the regular size should be fine on me?

Jose, with all due respect, I think you are obsessing too much. These are freaking socks we are talking about. Just go to a Marshalls and stock up.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I hope a thread on the proper &quot;east coast&quot; underwear isnt forthcoming....after all Jose is an asian coming to Boston from a tropical country.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In my experience, Pantherellas are common at both TJ Maxx and Marshalls. Usually they start out at $15, sit there for a good while, then get marked down, first to $12, then $10, then $7. I've seen a few make it down to $5, but they usually go fairly quickly once they get to $7.

Bear in mind that Pantherella has a variety of lines, some better than others.

If you're looking for a less expensive sock to stock up on, Gold Toes are decent, and can often be found in three packs for $5-7.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doc, I'll be in California in the second week of August and I think I'll poke around. I was there last year in November to December, and I guess that's why I couldn't find anything.

Could you elaborate on the variety of lines? From reading the old posts, I got the impression that the cashmere is incredible but wears out very, very quickly. The merino wool socks are probably the best deal. Would this be accurate?

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The merinos are definitely more durable and easier to wash &amp; dry than the cashmeres. I usually wait until there's a 20-30% STP coupon, then stock up. Brooks Brothers merino socks and the NM housebrand socks are also good, so you might score some there on sale in the fall/winter.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To clarify, there are good sales for winter wear even towards the end of summer, right? When might be the last time to score something before it gets cold?

Doc, incidentally, do the markdowns you describe come at a certain time of year, or is it just different for every store?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To clarify, there are good sales for winter wear even towards the end of summer, right? When might be the last time to score something before it gets cold?
Most stores are receiving their Fall/Winter merchandise now. These items will not go on sale until January.

Discounters such as Filene's Basement will be your best bet.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Wait...Jose is an Asian from a tropical country?

Actually, no. . . .

Jose is an Asian lawyer from a tropical country who is going to Boston. It is always important to get our facts correct.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics