Pantherella socks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cuffthis, Mar 9, 2005.

1. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

my 2 cents.

i don't consider any socks to be of high quality unless they come in specific sizes. i don't mean S, M, L. i mean 8, 9, 10, etc...

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

(globetrotter @ Mar. 09 2005,13:10) I wear all black gold toe thick cotton dress socks. all of my socks are identical, it makes things simple.
    That is almost criminal.
    you should see my underwear

3. FCS

FCS Senior member

Mr. Bateman, I was referring to the generic cotton socks sold at Wal-Mart. At $5 a pair the Pantherella was the most expensive socks I've bought so far [​IMG]. The fabrics is pretty thin but I guess it was probably from the summer inventory.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

For the love of all that is good and holy, please do not post pics.

5. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

GREED - that deserves a topic of its own. [​IMG]

6. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

Hopefully NOT in the "Buying and Selling" section. [​IMG]

7. InfiniteSpree

InfiniteSpree Member

Hi

For what it's worth, I have had the same disappointing experience with the Pantherella socks I have purchased.  I bought about five pairs, all of which have developed holes within 10 wearings or less.

I was originally drawn to Pantherella because of their thin knit and wide variety of colors available, but I won't be purchasing them again.  Lesson learned.

Ryan

8. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I confess that I'm completely mystified by the negative experiences that some have had with Pantherella socks. I've had pairs of Pantherella socks last for year, and I've never had a problem with premature holes, either at the top of the sock or at the heels. They're the only brand of socks that I can say that about, and I've tried a whole lot of different brands of socks. Depending on sales, I'll buy other brands, but Pantherella are my favorites by a significant margin.

9. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I picked up a few pairs of Pantherella over the calf merino dress socks at Sierra Trading Post a couple months ago. They seem to be holding up okay so far.

That being said, I don't believe they are as nice as Gold Toe's over the calf merino wool offering. The only problem with the Gold Toes is that they are only sold retail at a few locations (none of them near me) and there is only one source to mail order them from. To add insult to injury, the minimum order from this retailer is six pair per color. So if I want brown, blue, and grey, I've got to order a minimum of 18 pair at about $18 per pair. But they are worth it.

Montecristo

10. Charley

Charley Senior member

I do the exact same thing - only the OTC Black wool ribbed.
    When one goes off on an adventure - not much lost. I've concluded that roaming socks are what brings about the extra clothes hangers I find.

Anyway, the remaining ones match - I've never had more than ONE unmatched sock with this system. Just buy some new ones occasionally and throw them into the mix.

I will admit that I did break down last year and get three pair in brown.

I'd like to find something that wears as well, without the ribs, and slightly less fluffy around the foot.

11. brescd01

brescd01 Senior member

I threw my Pantherellas from Sierra Trading Post out after about six months. The problem was not wear at all, they looked like they had several years left in them. I did not like their dull finish. I prefer "shiny" finish socks (this is the best word I can think of to describe it) that, and bright colors, which I is why I am enjoying my Bresciani socks so much (also from Sierra). There is a similar sock on Harvie and Hudson's web site and STP is out of Brescianis, so my next sock may be from them. So far, the Brescianis are wearing well.

12. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Byford socks here - for about $14/pr., never a problem and last a good year or so. I also keep it simple - wool OTC and mainly black.

13. hermes

hermes Senior member

i too have had mixed experiences with pantherella socks

pairs that i have both worn and washed equally have worn out differently - some have developed toe and heel wear rather quickly while other pairs look like they're brand new

i too have only purchased mine at nm last call stores on discount (i've gotten them as low as $4.99 a pair) so given the price i pay, i'm not going to complain to much

14. Phil

Phil Senior member

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member