• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pantherella socks

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my 2 cents.

i don't consider any socks to be of high quality unless they come in specific sizes. i don't mean S, M, L. i mean 8, 9, 10, etc...

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(globetrotter @ Mar. 09 2005,13:10) I wear all black gold toe thick cotton dress socks. all of my socks are identical, it makes things simple.
That is almost criminal.
you should see my underwear

FCS

Reaction score
FCS, do you mean that you feel no difference between (a) Pantherella socks bought at STP and (non-Pantherella) socks bought at Wal-Mart; or (b) Pantherella socks bought at STP and Pantherella socks bought at Wal-Mart It's just that (b) sounds like such an unlikely scenario...
Mr. Bateman, I was referring to the generic cotton socks sold at Wal-Mart. At $5 a pair the Pantherella was the most expensive socks I've bought so far
smile.gif
. The fabrics is pretty thin but I guess it was probably from the summer inventory.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GREED - that deserves a topic of its own.
cool.gif

InfiniteSpree

Reaction score
Anyone else have this problem? And what other manufacturer of quality dress socks would you recommend?
Hi

For what it's worth, I have had the same disappointing experience with the Pantherella socks I have purchased.  I bought about five pairs, all of which have developed holes within 10 wearings or less.

I was originally drawn to Pantherella because of their thin knit and wide variety of colors available, but I won't be purchasing them again.  Lesson learned.

Ryan

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I confess that I'm completely mystified by the negative experiences that some have had with Pantherella socks. I've had pairs of Pantherella socks last for year, and I've never had a problem with premature holes, either at the top of the sock or at the heels. They're the only brand of socks that I can say that about, and I've tried a whole lot of different brands of socks. Depending on sales, I'll buy other brands, but Pantherella are my favorites by a significant margin.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up a few pairs of Pantherella over the calf merino dress socks at Sierra Trading Post a couple months ago. They seem to be holding up okay so far.

That being said, I don't believe they are as nice as Gold Toe's over the calf merino wool offering. The only problem with the Gold Toes is that they are only sold retail at a few locations (none of them near me) and there is only one source to mail order them from. To add insult to injury, the minimum order from this retailer is six pair per color. So if I want brown, blue, and grey, I've got to order a minimum of 18 pair at about $18 per pair. But they are worth it.

Montecristo

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear all black gold toe thick cotton dress socks. all of my socks are identical, it makes things simple.
I do the exact same thing - only the OTC Black wool ribbed.
When one goes off on an adventure - not much lost. I've concluded that roaming socks are what brings about the extra clothes hangers I find.

Anyway, the remaining ones match - I've never had more than ONE unmatched sock with this system. Just buy some new ones occasionally and throw them into the mix.

I will admit that I did break down last year and get three pair in brown.

I'd like to find something that wears as well, without the ribs, and slightly less fluffy around the foot.

brescd01

Reaction score
I threw my Pantherellas from Sierra Trading Post out after about six months. The problem was not wear at all, they looked like they had several years left in them. I did not like their dull finish. I prefer "shiny" finish socks (this is the best word I can think of to describe it) that, and bright colors, which I is why I am enjoying my Bresciani socks so much (also from Sierra). There is a similar sock on Harvie and Hudson's web site and STP is out of Brescianis, so my next sock may be from them. So far, the Brescianis are wearing well.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i too have had mixed experiences with pantherella socks

pairs that i have both worn and washed equally have worn out differently - some have developed toe and heel wear rather quickly while other pairs look like they're brand new

i too have only purchased mine at nm last call stores on discount (i've gotten them as low as $4.99 a pair) so given the price i pay, i'm not going to complain to much

Phil

Reaction score
I wear all black gold toe thick cotton dress socks. all of my socks are identical, it makes things simple.
What do you do when you wear a brown or tan suit?  In fact, what do you do if you wear a gray or blue suit, and choose to wear brown shoes?  Gray suit, black socks, brown shoes? Im having a tough time picturing that.

I recall reading once, and I cant remember the name of the guy, but there was an old movie star that only wore red socks. With everything.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(globetrotter @ Mar. 09 2005,13:10) I wear all black gold toe thick cotton dress socks. all of my socks are identical, it makes things simple.
What do you do when you wear a brown or tan suit?  In fact, what do you do if you wear a gray or blue suit, and choose to wear brown shoes?  Gray suit, black socks, brown shoes? Im having a tough time picturing that.

I recall reading once, and I cant remember the name of the guy, but there was an old movie star that only wore red socks.  With everything.
I only wear black shoes. I only wear charcoal gray and midnight blue suits. it makes my life simplier. life is to complicated to worry about matching up clothes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads