• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pantherella sock prices?

Reaction score
My local Marshalls has the thin cotton blend dress socks for $3 and some cashmere blend (seem a little bit thicker than the cotton) for $7. I've never tried these socks before , having purchased most of my socks from Costco - are those good discount prices??

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have picked up a few of these on clearance at Marshall's as well, but I have ended up returning all but the last pair, on which I'm undecided. Do they shrink? All the ones I have gotten except the last have been way too big, i.e. the heel of the sock is up above the back of the shoe. Also, many of them are sheer, so you can see my pasty chicken legs through them. Yuck.

Reaction score
Well, I have big feet so the size shouldn't be a problem, but I do have pasty white skin. Anyway, if that's a good price I will at least try out a few.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, you should be good to go, just try stretching them out a bit to see if you can see light through them easily. I am a size 10-1/2 or 11, and the 10-13 size Pantherellas are way big on me, which is pretty unusual. Maybe that's why they are on clearance and at Marshalls in the first place.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I caught a deal similar to this at TJ Maxx in December. I stocked up on all sorts. Very pleased so far.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a great price for Pantherella socks. Keep in mind, places like Marshall's don't have these in stock most of the time. And, when they recently did have them, the prices for their cotton socks were around $5 and their cashmere blends were for $15.

However, we're still talking about socks and its up to you to decide how much you really want to spend. I bought a pair of their cotton ones, and I really cannot tell the difference between these and some other brands. If it doesn't make a real difference to you, you might instead buy some other brands they carry at Marshall's or TJMaxx where for the same amount of money you might be able to get more socks.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sad.gif
Why must you taunt me. You don't even want to know what they cost here, what with the exchange rate...

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would they be more expensive, if you factor in the exchange rate? I thought that since Pantherella socks were from England, that the exchange rate wouldn't be a factor if you're buying them in London. Or, are you referring to the VAT?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nope, they're just much more expensive here. I remember them being around £10, or $19 at todays exchange rate. [EDIT] That's for cotton. They get more expensive for the cashmere blends. For a whole host of reasons, VAT merely being one of them, consumer goods are significantly more expensive in England. The exchange rate just makes it worse when comparing to US prices. I'm heading straight for a Marshall's when I'm back Stateside.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
chorehose:

Could you please go into more detail why consumer goods would be more expensive in England than America, if we are essentially talking about the same goods produced by the same manufacturer. I wonder if we are comparing apples to oranges. We can't compare Marshall's price to the ones in England unless there are also these same stores in London or some other types of discount retailers. And, from my understanding, the prices in Europe are generally higher than those in America but they are also higher in quailty. A lot of the junk sold here in America wouldn't be bought by Europeans.

If anything, you'd think the socks would be more expensive in America due to shipping and import costs, etc...

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The generally accepted 2005 retail prices for current season Pantherella stock are as follows:

Cotton Lisle or Superfine Merino Plain Color Dress Hose (70% Cotton or Wool/30% Nylon)
Long Anklet: $21 Over-the-Calf: $23

Cotton Lisle or Merino Fancies
Long Anklet: $25 Over-the-Calf: $29

Soft Cotton Casuals, Argyles, Wool Casuals -
Long Anklet Only: $25

Evening Collection Silk Formal
Long Anklet: $35 O.T.C.: $43

Cashmere
Long Anklet: $ 84 O.T.C. $ 100

Boot Sock: $37

Most sock retailers will charge less if you purchase six pairs exactly the same.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
At Turnbull & Asser the calf-length thick cashmere socks (made by Pantherella) were at $145.

Pantherella also makes an 85% cashmere sock that is comparatively affordable (20 quid)

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I bought one pair of cashmere socks, years ago, for about 60 bucks. They wore out so fast I vowed never to do it again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics