1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Panta: a first peek at a new high quality pants line

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voxsartoria, Mar 24, 2010.

1. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

carrying your wallet opposite your dominant hand makes zero sense to me.
    When I was a kid my dad told me it was so you could punch the thief while still holding onto you pocket. That's why I do it.

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Vox, missed it above: How doe we order? and can we submit cloth? B

thanks everyone and thanks Bill for the review.

I am at work and can't get into the whole spiel but Bill pretty much hit on all the points, pants are made here in NYC, the waistband, tacking, pick stitching are done by hand. My goal is to make a quality product for a reasonable price. Will have a full launch in the fall of this year but between now and then will be offering various pants on the forum and also working on two other products which I hope to have shortly. Everything will be made in the NY/NJ area and the people I am using have made/make for many of the big names that we discuss here.

to answer a few questions asked on this thread, the pants are lined to to the knee, a 34 inch waist will be an exact 34 (no vanity sizing), have a 10.5 inch rise, an 8 inch leg opening (and the leg opening will still be 8 inches even after you hem the inseam) and there will not be an option to have button cuffs, sorry, these are not in the Ambrosi league [​IMG]

In terms of fabrics, the next batch (10-12 days) will have more summer/year round stuff, including a cotton/cashmere khaki (Zegna fabric) and some very nice wool along with some GTH pants.

In terms of these, if you are interested, yuo can PM me and I will send you measurements and you can buy a pair if you like. I will have an official threak hopefully by next week but this set of pants are ready to go (pants will come with tape/fabric for heel guard and two extra buttons).

- B

3. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

carrying your wallet opposite your dominant hand makes zero sense to me.

+1. I hope the "like all intelligent people" bit was tongue in cheek, because it sounds completely opposite of what I would do, and I am highly intelligent.

4. forex

forex Senior member

It would be nice to have MTM service for the pants,I think a lot more people would be interested in purchasing. I'd be in for bunch of pairs.

5. Sterling Gillette

Sterling Gillette Senior member

... the thing...what's it called?...pancerina?..you see on certain Italian bespoke pants...
    The Austrians call it a Bauchspange. There you have a new term to use and make new Forvmites tremble in admiration.

Matt

You raise an interesting question. You don't I assume? That seems slightly odd as the Ambrosi trousers you so eloquently described in your original blog had two. A fine pair (plural actually I think)) of trousers I might add which you presumably choose two back pockets as well as the TWO fob/watch style pockets.

Maybe this was a decision of looks. Remember, Matt did not say he dislikes the look of back pockets but merely that he doesn't use them. If I remember correctly, he stated elsewhere that he finds the look of a pocketless trouser seat distrubing. I went for a single back pocket (on odd trousers) for similar reasons. As these pants get worn without a jacket from time to time, I felt they looked better this way.

Vox,there is something wrong in the front,don't know what. It doesn't look balanced. Is that the infamous Allen Edmonds belt?
    That's not the trouser front. It's Vox's gigantic, incredibly large, well-trained... gotta go now.

6. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

Will there be a long-rise available for those who need it?

7. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Will there be a long-rise available for those who need it?

and an high one for us too?

8. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

and an high one for us too?

isn't long-rise the same as high-rise?

9. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Ed,

Very nice trousers

10. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

I've just received two pairs from Ed - the dark gray herringbone and the birdseye flannel in cashmere. They are really nicely made - as nice or nicer than any top end RTW pants that I own. My dress (office) pants are Borrelli, Incotex sartoriale and Attolini and Ed's "Panta" line is certainly their equal in construction and detailing but at a much lower price. There is a fair bit of handwork and the skirted waist band is very comfortable. The fabric selections are very nice too - Ed's good eye for detail extends to yummy fabrics too.

They fit true to size (no vanity here) and are the slimmest dress trousers I own so if you plan on ordering, and you should, pay careful attention to the measurements that he provides.

Ed lives up to his reputation as a quality seller with good communication and prompt shipping, even to provincial backwaters in Canada. For international buyers, they are marked in a customs/duty-friendly way.

I'm looking forward to his next run and will be buying more.

11. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Thanks for the feedback tattersall.

I assume a PM to edmorel is the best way to get our orders in / sort out measurements etc.?

12. paisley_red

paisley_red Active Member

I assume a PM to edmorel is the best way to get our orders in / sort out measurements etc.?

+1. How to order? (if i missed it, can someone please link me to the info page)

13. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Yep - PM to edmorel.

14. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've just received two pairs from Ed - the dark gray herringbone and the birdseye flannel in cashmere. They are really nicely made - as nice or nicer than any top end RTW pants that I own. My dress (office) pants are Borrelli, Incotex sartoriale and Attolini and Ed's "Panta" line is certainly their equal in construction and detailing but at a much lower price. There is a fair bit of handwork and the skirted waist band is very comfortable. The fabric selections are very nice too - Ed's good eye for detail extends to yummy fabrics too.

They fit true to size (no vanity here) and are the slimmest dress trousers I own so if you plan on ordering, and you should, pay careful attention to the measurements that he provides.

Ed lives up to his reputation as a quality seller with good communication and prompt shipping, even to provincial backwaters in Canada. For international buyers, they are marked in a customs/duty-friendly way.

I'm looking forward to his next run and will be buying more.

Thanks sir, glad you liked them and thank you for the generous comparisons.

Just a quick note (and not putting words in tattersall's mouth), they are slim pants, but not constricting and I think they seem slimmer than others not so much because they are drastically slimmer but because of how we cut the back rise, the thigh and the whole calf area. I think these are the areas were most pants seem a bit too big and those are the areas I "cleaned up" on these pants.

You can PM me, I have a few of these in 30-32 (no 34's). I am picking up my second batch this weekend, early next week . Will then have an official sales thread in B&S and they will be priced the same as these. Also hope to have the website up in 2 weeks or so, will have other products at that time but the prices on the pants at that time will be a bit higher (although will have a standing 10% of for SFer's).

15. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i cant use photobucket now, but here is a real quick draw up of what i like in the fit of a dress pant

the left one is how i like them. taper in from the seat area, in. and then more or less a gradual taper from there. mabitex and rlbl is like this.

the right side are the typical dress pant silhouettes i dont really care for.

sounds like from panta's measurements , they would look like the one on the left.
    [​IMG]

16. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

i cant use photobucket now, but here is a real quick draw up of what i like in the fit of a dress pant

the left one is how i like them. taper in from the seat area, in. and then more or less a gradual taper from there. mabitex and rlbl is like this.

the right side are the typical dress pant silhouettes i dont really care for.

sounds like from panta's measurements , they would look like the one on the left.

do you mind if I use this illustration on the website?

17. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Just a quick note (and not putting words in tattersall's mouth), they are slim pants, but not constricting and I think they seem slimmer than others not so much because they are drastically slimmer but because of how we cut the back rise, the thigh and the whole calf area. I think these are the areas were most pants seem a bit too big and those are the areas I "cleaned up" on these pants.

This is true, they are slim through the legs but they're neither ass-grabbers nor nut-cuppers - for me the leg opening is the most telling at around 8" which makes for a very neat appearance around the shoe particularly when there is no break (which is how mine are being tailored right now.

18. Sander

Sander Senior member

Aw, come on, that would be a ripoff. At least employ him as graphic designer.

19. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

sure ed. it is a very bad scribbled drrawing though. i can draw a nicer one tonite.

20. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Aw, come on, that would be a ripoff. At least employ him as graphic designer.

uhh.. no.