1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Panerai

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by InPa, Mar 7, 2005.

1. InPa

InPa Well-Known Member

I've been on a little bit of a watch spree lately. I am looking for a durable, casually focused watch and have become interested in Panerai (PAM48). Back and forth between the 40 and 44mm models I wanted to get this groups thoughts on the make and whether it was more of a "fashionable" purchase vs. a good long-term value. I love the look, the longevity of the brand (which I'm assuming not to be created by some marketing folks) and the perceived durability of the sturdy looking watch. I'm leaning toward the smaller version to avoid jumping into the "big watch" craze. Very interested in the thoughts of those who own the brand and those who know something about it. Thank you.

2. benchan

benchan Senior Member

Debatable.

3. ord

ord Active Member

If you really want a Panerai, then consider getting a 44mm model.  That is really the iconic size for the brand.  The 40mm were only introduced later to widen their appeal.  The larger sized models are generally considered the more desirable among collectors and you are likely to find that they are easier to resell as well.  There are also some Radiomir models that are 42mm, which might be a good compromise, but they lack the crown locking mechanism that Panerais are famous for.

I don't know if the big watch craze will last or not.  Personally, I like smaller timepieces in the 34mm to 38mm range, but there are many men who refuse to wear watches that are less than 40mm.  Certainly, people are getting larger and I don't think we'll see the days of the 30mm men's dress watch return any time soon.

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Stylish Dinosaur

I think that the Panarai 44 mm black faced watch is one of most atractive that I have ever seen. I am concerned about 2 things - first, this is really a brand that was invented by marketing people. the company hadn't produced a watch if 40-some years when the brand was purchased and brought back to life. there isn't a Panarai workshop of little old italian men in florence, as far as I know all the work is outsourced to other, existing, watch factories. so it seems a little bit like a fable driving a huge margin.

the other thing that concerns me is that in 20 years a watch like this will be like one of those silly wide lapel suits from the 70's that instantly dates you, and this won't be the type of watch you can leave your son. for what they charge, you should get 2 generations ofwear.

but it is a very nice watch to look at.

5. armscye

armscye Senior Member

In my opinion as a thirty year collector of watches, the Luminor style is a fad that will look out of date in five years. For the same money you could own a timeless Breitling or Omega. If an oversize watch is your goal the Russians make even bigger, even klutzier looking dive watches at a fraction of the price.

The Luminor's exaggerated proportions and clumsy crown protector both lack classical style. A Luminor interrupts the cuff of a shirt and fails to coordinate with most suits and most leathers.

At any given moment, there is a fad watch of the nanosecond-- just off hand I can think of Sector, the original quartz Swatches, or those egreguious diamond-studded bling bling Rolexes. All look absurd when viewed today, as will those chocolate Paneraris in five years.

6. InPa

InPa Well-Known Member

Is there a Breitling model, or another make in the same price range ($3-4k) that you would recommend in the durable, casually focused watch category?

Thanks..

7. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

If you want to wear it for years to come, get it. It probably wont be a collectors piece. The Rolex Daytona will likely be a collectors piece after the Panerai has faded in popularity. Patek makes stainless steel sports watches for only a little more than the Panerai.

8. ord

ord Active Member

Take a look at the sport models made by IWC, specifically the Spitfire pilot watches and the Aquatimer divers. Â They are well-made and more classically sized. Â Jaeger-LeCoultre also has a new line of sport watches under the name Master Compressor. Â They are more radically styled, but JLC arguably gives the best value for the money of any Swiss watch company.