• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Panerai

Willie5566

Reaction score
I have loved the look of Panerai watches for years now. I am considering buying one and want to make sure I do not make an expensive mistake. The style I am considering is the Luminor. Looking for feedback on the following-

1. How are these watches compared to other watches in the $6k-$9k range?
2. How are they to maintain? My wife has a Tissot (I know slumming it) and anytime it need anything it has to be shipped back to the manufacturer. I would expect a watch of Panerai's caliber to be relatively maintenance free.
3. Thoughts on versatility? I do not plan to own a watch for every occasion. I want something that I can wear casual and one that can holds its own if I get dressed up.

mak1277

Reaction score
I would say, in general, Panerai are not the best options for a versatile watch that looks good dressed up...unless you're a big dude. The watches (even the 42mm versions) wear large. The luminors have the added bulk of the crown guard. None of this calls out to me as something that I'd ever want to wear with a suit.

And don't get me wrong, I wear my submariner with a suit now and then, even though it's also against the "rules".

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is a watch thread that you should ask this on. You will get loads of feedback.

FYI...I DON’T see that watch a show a dress watch. It’s too large...unless you are a very large individual.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The one Panerai Luminor model that could do double duty as a dress watch is the new Due in 38mm. The water resistance of that model is a shameful 30m, however, which seems to contradict the very essence of Panerai.

Willie5566

Reaction score
There is a watch thread that you should ask this on. You will get loads of feedback.

FYI...I DON’T see that watch a show a dress watch. It’s too large...unless you are a very large individual.
I now see the error of my ways. I should define dress up. I have not worn a suit in years. Dressing up is vague at best. What about with a sport coat? Think business casual or a skosh more.

mak1277

Reaction score
I now see the error of my ways. I should define dress up. I have not worn a suit in years. Dressing up is vague at best. What about with a sport coat? Think business casual or a skosh more.
99% of people won't bat an eye in that situation. Only you can decide if you're in that 99% or not.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To answer your second question, no mechanical watch is maintenance free. I think Panerai recommends maintenance every 2-3 years with a full service every 5 years. It will likely cost 1-2k for a full service depending on whether you have it done at Panerai or elsewhere.

TomTom

Reaction score
Got given a Panerai as a present a couple of years back and I have to take it back. My wrists are small and although the watch is beautiful and of very high quality it looked comical on my wrist.The watch wears BIG, well it was designed for the Navy as a divers watch... You would not be be able to wear that as a dressed up watch, not even with a sports coat. .I eventually took it back and replaced it with a Omega Seamaster 38mm..

Willie5566

Reaction score
So there is one Panerai dealer within 2 hours of me. I have inquired about a watch and they do not have it. Plan B has me considering buying one online. Are there any sites you guys have used and can recommend? Should I avoid buying online?

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unsure what size you want, but Mr. Porter is a stockist. Would have zero qualms about buying there.

mak1277

Reaction score
If you go to the Panerai forums on watchuseek you can probably find a trusted online seller there.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 279 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40