• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panerai watch

Baby Pink

Reaction score
I have my eyes on a Panerai GMT lumino model (44m). Does anyone have any experience and know what movement the watch uses?
dozingoff.gif
It's retailing for about US$4,100. I really like the design and the fact that it's bulky as I have a big wrist. I know it's a watch used by the Italian navy and it's quite popular in Europe. The usual feedback is that it's overpriced and quirky stylish among a few.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not really overpriced (demand/supply etc
wink.gif
) and it is a very popular watch in Europe. But i'd buy it as a fashionable watch. Not so much as primary watch.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
first, I think that it is a very very nice looking watch.

here's the downside - this is a marketing masterpiece, not a technology or art masterpiece. about 10 years ago some people (I have heard that Swartzeneger was the driving force, but that may be PR bullshit) heard about the watch, that was used in WWII. the origional factory, which was started in the late 19th century in florence, had closed in the late 40's, early 50's. this group of businessmen bought the rights to the name and started producing the watch, outsourcing all the parts and labor, and using the story of the watch being used in WWII as a marketing lever.

so the bottom line is this - it is a very nice watch that uses its "story" to overcharge for standard movement and workings. I don't believe that in 20 years it will be a classic, I think that it will date itself to a 5 year period.

I actually thought this through alot myself, thinking about buying one, and decided against it, so I am a little prejudiced.

ViroBono

Reaction score
Panerai made watches primarily for the Italian Navy, though some others, such as the Egyptian Navy also used them. They only started selling to the public in 1993. However, the original firm, based in Florence and making its own movements, was bought by Richemont, a luxury brands company, some years ago, and they now use modified Valjoux movements. Purists claim that modern Panerais are not the 'real thing'. Some of the original Panerai staff started their own brand, Anonimo; their range includes some striking watches. Famous Panerai wearers (outside of films) include Sylvester Stallone (who has been known to wear one on each wrist.), Arnold Schwarzenegger, who was also given one by Sly, and Hugh Grant. That said, I like Panerai - if only I could afford one. More info: Paneristi Anonimo

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Panerai made watches primarily for the Italian Navy, though some others, such as the Egyptian Navy also used them. They only started selling to the public in 1993. However, the original firm, based in Florence and making its own movements, was bought by Richemont, a luxury brands company, some years ago, and they now use modified Valjoux movements. Purists claim that modern Panerais are not the 'real thing'. Some of the original Panerai staff started their own brand, Anonimo; their range includes some striking watches. Famous Panerai wearers (outside of films) include Sylvester Stallone (who has been known to wear one on each wrist.), Arnold Schwarzenegger, who was also given one by Sly, and Hugh Grant. That said, I like Panerai - if only I could afford one. More info: Paneristi Anonimo
Anonimo looks promising. Jon.

minimal

Reaction score
[snip...]
Famous Panerai wearers (outside of films) include Sylvester Stallone (who has been known to wear one on each wrist.), Arnold Schwarzenegger, who was also given one by Sly, and Hugh Grant.

[snip...]

If there was ever a reason NOT to buy an article of clothing or a fashion accessory, this has to be it.

[though I really, really like the watch.]

Brian SD

Reaction score
I like what I see on the Anonimo page (particularly the racing and militare watches), but I assume that they are as unaffordable as Panerai. Over $1000 is completely unaffordable for me.

tdial

Reaction score
I have the 40mm Panerai Luminor Marina watch that I wear everyday. I'm not a watch person, so I can't comment on the movement, etc. other than to say that the watch is a gorgeous watch and I've gotten a lot of compliments about it. The only thing I'd say about the watch you're talking about (44mm) is that is a HUGE watch. The 40mm I wear is easily the largest watch I've ever worn. Some of my shirts will hardly button over it, so try on the 44mm beforhand to make sure you're comfortable with a watch of that size. For that much $, you want a watch you can wear on all occasions. I believe the 44mm watch is entirely too large for more formal occasions, since the 40mm is almost at that point.

That's just my two cents.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Know what you mean, Brian SD. I'm jonesing for a vintage Omega automatic, or (more affordably) a vintage waltham military watch. Course, I know nothing about watches.

Both the Panerais and Anonimos are v nice, but likely a little big for me.

A few more important things to do between now and watch buying status...

ViroBono

Reaction score
I believe the list prices of Anonimo are around $2,500 for the DDate and $3,400 for the Militare, but I have seen them on US websites for considerably less. I have handled them (there are only 10 dealers in UK - rarer than Panerai.), and they have a great 'feel' - good weight and shape, if that makes sense.

Whilst I cannot speak for the US, slightly used Panerais are good value here - there are a couple of dealers here who offer them at just over half price. If (when) I get one, this is the route I'll probably follow.

An alternative to a Panerai may be an RXW Marina Marinare - a good quality Japanese homage watch with ETA movement. Panerai took legal action because they felt it was just too close to the original, so RXW don't make them anymore. They come up on watch forums and Ebay quite regularly for about $800.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads