• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panerai or Hublot?

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you trade a PAM0048 for a Hublot Super B? I can wear the 40+mm watches quite well, so the 42mm on the Hublot wouldn't be a problem. If anything the 40mm Pam is a little small (forgive me, I grew up in the subprime generation).
PQY93951921_1.jpg
pam00048_1936_general.jpg
Clearly a difference in retail price, but I've come to more or less disregard that entirely. What are people's opinions on Hublot as a brand?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like the history behind watches so the Pan is more interesting. They were made for the 1930's-1950s Italian navy frogmen. Kinda like how hugo boss made suits/uniforms for hitler. there are even vintage pans that nazi ( used (when they were in cahoots with) : (those babies were powered by rolex pocketwatch movements).
Kampfschimmer+Panerai.jpg
i do like the older military stuff, from hamiltons, omegas, ect...

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
ive been a panerai collector for years....owned over a dozen. Id hang on to it. Im not a fan of Hublots in the least.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I really like my Panerai, and I definitely want at least one in the stable, but wouldn't I be trading the lowest-regarded panerai for a pretty sweet Hublot?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhc905
Yeah, I really like my Panerai, and I definitely want at least one in the stable, but wouldn't I be trading the lowest-regarded panerai for a pretty sweet Hublot?

personally to me, there isnt a pretty sweet hublot.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I suppose it depends on your watch collection. No way would i want a hublot to be my only watch.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lawerence, I got my Panny because of it's cool historical military background, and because it's a nice looking watch. I think I may be too young for a Hublot...I associate the brand with people who appear like the Most Interesting Man in the World. (and that is definitely not me).

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I wouldn't want a 40mm Panny, so I say get rid of it.... but not for a Hublot, get something else. Audemars Piguet? I think AP's suit young guys well, and naturally inverse to that is the fact that few young guys are gonna have AP's on their wrist.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lawerence, I got my Panny because of it's cool historical military background, and because it's a nice looking watch. I think I may be too young for a Hublot...I associate the brand with people who appear like the Most Interesting Man in the World. (and that is definitely not me).

I love the vintage Pans especially the ones with rolex pocket watch movements. I like to think that some crazy/brave italian frogman was diving 200f underwater in the early 30's with that thing as his only way to know if his oxygen was running out.

I had one of my best friends who's jewish show off his Pan to me (the basic one modeled after italian frogman watch). when I explained the history behind the watch he kinda freaked and ended up returning it.

its good to know the provenance behind luxury items for better or worse.

just like my favorite military watches in my collection (Hamilton chronographs used by the royal british air force) might be offensive to Argentinians ect. these are the basis for 80% of the bell and ross stuff out.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, don't know how this all works out (Hamilton = air force) but they have a pretty nice looking Frogman...
Ham1.jpg
. Has a 7750 movement to boot. Impolyt, I think you agree with me that Hublot is kind of an equitorial rich-man's watch. AP does have more a brand I suppose, but the watches look so similar...I think maybe I should just enjoy my 40mm panny.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, when it comes to something like the Hublot Big Bang and then the AP ROO, where the two brands kinda intersect in aesthetic concept (and not by coincidence of course) - I'd prefer the AP because it's the finer of the two in design IMO. Plus, when you're dropping this kind of money, don't you want just a little brand prestige? Nothing wrong with that right?
redface.gif
It's like those really fast kit cars, like the Ultima, vs a Ferrari...

bigbjorn

Reaction score
There is no luxury watch whose finishing and overall visual impact I find less impressive than Hublot. I'd rather have a Seiko 5.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, ok good thing I turned the offer down. So guess the fact that AP > Hublot isn't solely due to the fact that Jay-Z can rhyme Audemars, but not Hublot.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you trade a PAM0048 for a Hublot Super B? I can wear the 40+mm watches quite well, so the 42mm on the Hublot wouldn't be a problem. If anything the 40mm Pam is a little small (forgive me, I grew up in the subprime generation).

Are you serious?

A Panerai is a classic watch; a Hublot...I really don't think they're that well-considered.

I would say no, not for a Hublot; there are many possible trades for a Panerai, but Hublot would be one I would never even think of, along with AP.
snork[1].gif
to both....

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I wouldn't want a 40mm Panny, so I say get rid of it.... but not for a Hublot, get something else. Audemars Piguet? I think AP's suit young guys well, and naturally inverse to that is the fact that few young guys are gonna have AP's on their wrist.

You don't hang out with enough rich Russians then. AP's more expensive (we are talking about the RO or RO offshore) than Hublot or Pannys. Personally, I would go for the Panny.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't... but I knew that. My friend visited last week and he had a ROO on, changed my opinion on AP RO's in general after seeing the Offshore live. It's not for everyone but it suited his style well and has a unique look to it that you can't substitute for if you have any eye for detail. BTW he is not a rich Russian either.
redface.gif
plus OP wears a 40mm watch, was considering a 42mm - the ROO is right in that range and wearable by guys with smaller wrists.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics