• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat style - reblock?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a panama hat in my travels throughout South America recently. Oddly enough, it was the only one I could find in the 2 hours I set aside to buy one. It was pretty inexpensive, but of a high enough quality that I bought it. It was hand woven in Ecuador out of Paja Toquilla.

Here are some pics:

It has a rather wide brim of around 8.5cm. I'm considering looking into getting it reblocked to have the brim lay nicer, however I'm not sure if it's meant to look like that. The hat is rather flexible; the brim moves easily. Despite the fact that it's not brown
wink.gif
, this seems to evoke a look of a farmer's hat, considering the wide brim.

What do you think about the style, and what do you think about getting it reblocked?

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
I picked up a panama hat in my travels throughout South America recently. Oddly enough, it was the only one I could find in the 2 hours I set aside to buy one. It was pretty inexpensive, but of a high enough quality that I bought it. It was hand woven in Ecuador out of Paja Toquilla.

Here are some pics:

It has a rather wide brim of around 8.5cm. I'm considering looking into getting it reblocked to have the brim lay nicer, however I'm not sure if it's meant to look like that. The hat is rather flexible; the brim moves easily. Despite the fact that it's not brown
wink.gif
, this seems to evoke a look of a farmer's hat, considering the wide brim.

What do you think about the style, and what do you think about getting it reblocked?

Unless you dress like a farmer, the hat won't make you look like a farmer. A good hat store can reblock your hat.

JohnShaft

Reaction score
As something of a hat person myself, that brim seems rather generous if one isn't a planter or a 1940's Sicilian.
wink.gif
It may just be the picture without a head under it that skews things.

As was mentioned, I would have a good hat shop steam and reform the brim to your taste and then let us judge brim size with the hat on your head.

If nothing else, it's an excellent souvenir.

__PG__

Reaction score
I got someone to bring me back a Panama hat. It had deformed slightly in the plane trip back to Australia, so I managed to re-form it back into shape using a few drops of water rubbed into the straw...a hair dryer (to re-form the dimples in the crown) .. and a gentle iron through a handkerchief to flatten the brim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads