• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Palm Pre

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you have heard of this, looks like potentially the best iPhone competitor in the pipes at the moment.

Looking forward to boobs on PALM.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/13/p...anted-to-know/

pre_06.png

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
I dislike the curvy shell.
Wait... do you mean the roundness of the form factor? Or the curve it has when open?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The roundness of the form factor. I couldn't really think of a good way to describe it.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
The roundness of the form factor. I couldn't really think of a good way to describe it.
I think it will look less round in person than in the press photos. When compared to the iPhone, it looks a little better, I think. Then again, I think the iPhone is sort of ugly. Its a little shapeless IMO. So maybe its just a fundamental difference in taste.
smile.gif
pre-first-hands-on-24.jpg
pre-first-hands-on-21.jpg
I can't wait for the posts to start appearing "Well it doesn't have an annoying, clumsy, virtual keyboard as your only option, but after a certain 'breaking in' period, or learning curve, you will be able to type on actual keys with letters on them that represent the letters that spell words - JUST AS FAST AS ON YOUR iPHONE!"

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been out of a contract and have been using Sprint's insurance plan to replace all my phones for the past 5 years. I don't think I'll get this phone....may, may not....I want a stronger camera personally....I do a lot of phone/photo-blogging for my personal archive. 3 megapixel...might be nice. There are some 5 and 8MP cameraphones on the horizon.

Also depends how the web browser and outlook sync is.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
I've been out of a contract and have been using Sprint's insurance plan to replace all my phones for the past 5 years. I don't think I'll get this phone....may, may not....I want a stronger camera personally....I do a lot of phone/photo-blogging for my personal archive. 3 megapixel...might be nice. There are some 5 and 8MP cameraphones on the horizon.

Also depends how the web browser and outlook sync is.

Well 5mp cameraphones are pretty common in the higher end phones now. There are 10mp cameraphones with optical zooms in Asia. Personally, I think that the Pre's ability to shoot pictures without automatically saving them is a great feature. It sounds like it has a sort of continuous shot mode as well, which is pretty sweet.

I dunno, I guess we'll have to see how useful it all is when it gets here.

As far as the browser and email goes - I think the fact that its basically an open dev platform like Android can only help it. I mean, you should be able to load and use any browser you want.

I want to know what battery life is like, and how much built in storage its going to come with.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, really wish it had a 5MP camera+. I guess it depends on how strong the flash is.....it'll take a lot for me to sign a new contract and actually pay for a new phone though. Pretty happy with my HTC Mogul at the moment, but I like the form factor of this.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
continuous shooting would be nice too. hate how it takes long to save photos on my phone now.

Zandros

Reaction score
I think its weakest point is that you allegedly will have to develop apps to run on the WebKit engine, ie. running web apps locally, and not writing native code.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zandros
I think its weakest point is that you allegedly will have to develop apps to run on the WebKit engine, ie. running web apps locally, and not writing native code.
...? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is a weakness, why hasn't anyone ever mentioned it about the iPhone, who's Safari browser is a Webkit browser just like this one is going to be? Or Android, which has a webkit browser? Or any of the Nokia phones running S60? Not to mention Google Chrome, which a few people will probably use to read this very message...
smile.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a demo of this on CNBC's coverage of CES a few days ago. Some of the apps are a little Big Brother. For instance, if you have an appointment somewhere, and you're running late based on your location, it sends an automatic message to the person telling him that you're running late.
tinfoil.gif
Otherwise, I welcome any real competitor to the iPhone. I might consider this for my next phone.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I saw a demo of this on CNBC's coverage of CES a few days ago. Some of the apps are a little Big Brother. For instance, if you have an appointment somewhere, and you're running late based on your location, it sends an automatic message to the person telling him that you're running late.
tinfoil.gif

Carnivore is has tagged your post and queried your personal history as that of a potential dissenter. You will be contacted by the Dept. of Homeland Security shortly. Prepare for re-education.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
...?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is a weakness, why hasn't anyone ever mentioned it about the iPhone, who's Safari browser is a Webkit browser just like this one is going to be? Or Android, which has a webkit browser? Or any of the Nokia phones running S60? Not to mention Google Chrome, which a few people will probably use to read this very message...
smile.gif

The problem is that Mojo (the Pre's programming framework) is only Web-based: all the apps 3rd parties can write must run inside the web browser, which severely limits what an app can do. In contrast, Android and iPhone programmers can write either native apps or browser apps.

--Andre

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim

I can't wait for the posts to start appearing "Well it doesn't have an annoying, clumsy, virtual keyboard as your only option, but after a certain 'breaking in' period, or learning curve, you will be able to type on actual keys with letters on them that represent the letters that spell words - JUST AS FAST AS ON YOUR iPHONE!"

If you struggle with the iPhone keyboard for more than a day or so, you either have fat fingers or lack motor function.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads