• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

palm beach

jagela

Reaction score
Just spent a few days in palm beach, and there was much that reminded me of this forum.
Here are a few observations in no particular order.
The clothes: I saw much to enjoy. Nobody wears jeans. Without exaggeration, I did not see a single person, male or female, wearing denim. The women wore dresses, skirts and heels. The men wore tailored clothing. I don't particularly like the predominant style, it is too retro for me, but for perfectly cut clothes, beautifully tied ties, folded pocket squares and ascots worn without a hint of irony, there's nowhere i've been that can compete. You gents would love it.
The cars: if you have an eye for cars there is plenty to admire. And people are driving their cars, enjoying them. I saw dozens of bentleys, ferraris and lamborghinis. There were one or two moments of embarrassment; a woman who was clearly unable to drive her brand new aston martin without stalling every few hundred yards.
The shopping: this is real fun. Just by way of comparison, I live in what may be the best stretch of men's shopping anywhere in the world. Put it this way, every day i walk past berluti and lattanzi. So i am used to the best in window shopping. i think palm beach is as good as anywhere. It's much more fun to explore down beautifully groomed little alleys and discover a vacca, or a borrelli, plus there are a few shops that i had never heard of that are classic old palm beach, anyone here been to maus and hoffman?
The best shopping experience I had was at a men's consignment shop owned and run by Dan Fiore. i bought nothing. But I spent a very enjoyable hour in the company of Mr Fiore. He has double sided cufflinks, sulka silk robes, beautiful old bespoke jackets in a huge range of colours and sizes, dozens of pairs of shoes, including the velvet slippers he commissions from trickers, and blazer buttons he commissions from holland and sherry. He offered me a delicious glass of sherry and we talked while i browsed. How often do you meet someone in a shop who asks you your opinion of Vass and worries that the toe box may be a touch clunky?
The thrifting was not nearly as good as I expected. I was amazed at how little there was. There are some wonderful things, (50 some pieces of beautiful handpainted tiffany china anyone?) but not men's clothes. I don't know why this should be - but I'll admit I had high hopes and was disappointed.
Just one more thing: for all the style on display, for all the glorious chanel suits, and kiton jackets, impeccably tailored, and perfectly combined, the perfect dinner dress, him in single breasted peak lapel bespoke, her in black with diamonds, there was one factor that detracted from all of it - Cosmetic surgery.

There was only one car park my wife and I passed that was full to bursting. So much so that we thought we would double back to find out what the attraction was. A restaurant? An antique fair? Nope. It was a cosmetic surgery place.

Anyway, in order to keep this post on track - i would thoroughly recommend Dan Fiore's shop in Palm Beach. Anyone else have any experience there?

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jagela
Just spent a few days in palm beach, and there was much that reminded me of this forum.
Here are a few observations in no particular order.
The clothes: I saw much to enjoy. Nobody wears jeans. Without exaggeration, I did not see a single person, male or female, wearing denim. The women wore dresses, skirts and heels. The men wore tailored clothing. I don't particularly like the predominant style, it is too retro for me, but for perfectly cut clothes, beautifully tied ties, folded pocket squares and ascots worn without a hint of irony, there's nowhere i've been that can compete. You gents would love it.
The cars: if you have an eye for cars there is plenty to admire. And people are driving their cars, enjoying them. I saw dozens of bentleys, ferraris and lamborghinis. There were one or two moments of embarrassment; a woman who was clearly unable to drive her brand new aston martin without stalling every few hundred yards.
The shopping: this is real fun. Just by way of comparison, I live in what may be the best stretch of men's shopping anywhere in the world. Put it this way, every day i walk past berluti and lattanzi. So i am used to the best in window shopping. i think palm beach is as good as anywhere. It's much more fun to explore down beautifully groomed little alleys and discover a vacca, or a borrelli, plus there are a few shops that i had never heard of that are classic old palm beach, anyone here been to maus and hoffman?
The best shopping experience I had was at a men's consignment shop owned and run by Dan Fiore. i bought nothing. But I spent a very enjoyable hour in the company of Mr Fiore. He has double sided cufflinks, sulka silk robes, beautiful old bespoke jackets in a huge range of colours and sizes, dozens of pairs of shoes, including the velvet slippers he commissions from trickers, and blazer buttons he commissions from holland and sherry. He offered me a delicious glass of sherry and we talked while i browsed. How often do you meet someone in a shop who asks you your opinion of Vass and worries that the toe box may be a touch clunky?
The thrifting was not nearly as good as I expected. I was amazed at how little there was. There are some wonderful things, (50 some pieces of beautiful handpainted tiffany china anyone?) but not men's clothes. I don't know why this should be - but I'll admit I had high hopes and was disappointed.
Just one more thing: for all the style on display, for all the glorious chanel suits, and kiton jackets, impeccably tailored, and perfectly combined, the perfect dinner dress, him in single breasted peak lapel bespoke, her in black with diamonds, there was one factor that detracted from all of it - Cosmetic surgery.

There was only one car park my wife and I passed that was full to bursting. So much so that we thought we would double back to find out what the attraction was. A restaurant? An antique fair? Nope. It was a cosmetic surgery place.

Anyway, in order to keep this post on track - i would thoroughly recommend Dan Fiore's shop in Palm Beach. Anyone else have any experience there?

what is a great hotel to stay in palm beach? anything like the delano in miami? ive never been to palm.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re disappointing thrifting: It's possible that men sell off or give away much of the business wardrobe between retiring and moving.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I'll have to check out Fiore's shop next time I'm down in Florida.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Just curious - the fact that you didn't see any denim makes me wonder what the average age of the population is in Palm Beach. I'm assuming it must be older?

humrepair

Reaction score
The population in Palm Beach is older.Obviously they are very wealthy, going from rich upwards.Plenty of cosmetic surgery but not of the Beverly Hills magnitude,IMHO.People have told me they are staying at the hotel.It is assumed they're speaking of The Breakers.If you haven't seen The Breakers it is worth visiting and spending the bucks for brunch.The Ritz Carlton has a great reputation, if not the history.Thanks for the info on Fiore's.I will take a look next time I cross the bridge.
Neil

jagela

Reaction score
humrepair, mastershake,
i'd be very interested to know what you make of fiore's. and i hope you all have better luck in thrifting than i did.

i think bradford is right about the average age in palm beach. i hadn't really thought of it until now, but the other thing i didn't see, apart from denim, was kids, kids of any age. i guess palm beach is an empty nesters kind of place.
j

jwarri5

Reaction score
i REALLY LOVED PALM BEACH WHEN I WAS OUT THERE!
smile.gif

fatty

Reaction score
It's too hot for denim. Hell it's too hot for clothes.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by *****
It's too hot for denim. Hell it's too hot for clothes.

I really think this statement requires pictures
devil.gif

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jagela
The best shopping experience I had was at a men's consignment shop owned and run by Dan Fiore.

I used to live in Palm Beach County (Wellington) and spent a lot of time browsing at that store. Never bought anything but I too loved it. I remember being tempted by a flawless Kiton cashmere blazer he had there for about $500. Problem was it was a L so it was too long for me. He had a sweet pair of Edward Green spectator shoes in there too one time. It's a fun store to browse through.

Apart from that, though, Palm Beach never floated my boat. M&H is a great store, but I prefer their catalouge. The rest of it, I just have an allergic reaction to people who fly dog groomers in from New York to groom their poodles for a parade and I have a reaction to paying retail.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
That would be like going to a German nudist beach. Once you see it you thank dog that people wear clothes and hope you never have to repeat the experience.

I was actually referring to *****, not the Palm Beach population
tounge.gif

DandySF

Reaction score
One of the gems in Palm Beach is the store that sells embroidered velvet slippers. The locals, of a certain stripe, wear them like sandals. Stubbs and Wootton is located on Via Parigi, a side street off Worth Avenue. http://www.stubbsandwootton.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads