1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Paleo diet

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Don Carlos, May 23, 2011.

1. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

There is a masterful quote by Gibonius (a most knowledgeable poster, I might add) in the sugar thread that sums up the attitudes perfectly.
    Shouldn't you be off "pumping iron" or something?

2. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Did I make an ad hominem argument there? I see no need for you to respond in kind. And yes, I do lift weights, which is evident to anyone frequently browsing this subforum.

3. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Did I make an ad hominem argument there? I see no need for you to respond in kind. And yes, I do lift weights, which is evident to anyone frequently browsing this subforum.
    Perhaps not, I am just simply sick of being made a mockery of for no actual reason other than the fact that my opinions and views run counter to the groupthink mentality of this forum. I've let it slide before, and now I'm just fed up with it.

4. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Yes. I want a list (compiled alphabetically, please) of arguments I've made, and then the instance of evisceration of said arguments.

You don't even have points. you have hunches backed up by pseudoscience and naked conjecture that you are positing as revelations of some hidden truth. I think you are very young and that one day you will be embarrassed that you used to post nonsense like this.

5. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

What about people living in the third world and the rapidly increasing world population? Won't it be necessary, at some point in time, that people live primarily off of nothing but grain?

Right, but putting that aside, my question is: is it biologically possible for man to one day adapt to a diet of nothing but grains?

These are stupid questions. Cultured protein is easier to grow than grains as is algae. If you're going to go all future apoco on us get your facts straight.

Is there a mammal that lives off of nothing but grain? Then it's biologically possible.

6. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Wait, you forgot the part of spending seven hours a day gathering and hauling firewood to have enough to get your family through another winter's night. Backbreaking toil tends to burn calories.

Good to hear a voice of reason in this thread, btw. Keep it up.

Christ, where do you and JM get your facts? Nobody was spending 7 hours a day just getting firewood. Nor were they in constant starvation. I've read any number of places that the hunter gatherer needed about 4 hours a day to meet their needs. Obviously this would vary but life was as brutal as you seem to think.

7. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    There is a masterful quote by Gibonius (a most knowledgeable poster, I might add) in the sugar thread that sums up the attitudes perfectly.

I really enjoy Gibonius contributions to these topics. Wish he posted more.

8. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

I really enjoy Gibonius contributions to these topics. Wish he posted more.
    Gibonius is one of the few posters who knows how to argue in a respectable and civilized manner. Even if we don't agree on an issue, we've always been able to do so amicably and without the use of name calling and ad hominem attacks: a rarity in these parts. I like Gibonius.

9. Jr Mouse

Christ, where do you and JM get your facts? Nobody was spending 7 hours a day just getting firewood. Nor were they in constant starvation. I've read any number of places that the hunter gatherer needed about 4 hours a day to meet their needs. Obviously this would vary but life was as brutal as you seem to think.

First of all, I said it taking 7 hours a day was an exaggeration. What I said was depending on where they lived with the tools they had, it could be challenging and take a lot of work.

Also, there is plenty of evidence that many were malnourished. This lead to extremely low body-fat levels, infant mortality and even miscarriages among pregnant women. Were they all like this? No, but this idealization of these people is a false one. As I said earlier, it seems some have this vision of them all looking like Daryl Hannah in a loin cloth.

As for how brutal the life was in general, that depends on your point of view. I think the fact that the average lifespan was in the 30's is a fairly clear indicator that times were harsh overall.

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

11. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

Lawl dis thred

Anyone here had biochem? Anyone passed genetics? Anthropology? Highschool?

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i was a biochem TA and took genetics

havent taken anthropology. doesnt sound very fun

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

The interesting thing is that I actually have a reason to distinguish you from other members (constant unprovoked insults toward me and my intelligence), however, any reason you have for separating me from the rest of the board is coming internally from your own imagination, as I have remained calm and composed toward you, trying to be friendly, even after being called an idiot. Going so far as to send you a PM offering my thanks for taking the time to discuss, however rudely, a certain topic with me, which you couldn't even respond to. I'd say you have more of a problem with yourself than you actually do with me.

Oddest response to a compliment I have ever seen.

14. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

15. jarude

jarude Senior member

rippetoe was talking about squatting here, but eh... feels relevant.

16. Jr Mouse

17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i see an article about cannibalism and neanderthals

18. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

19. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is it paleo if you don't kill the animals yourself?

20. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

Is it paleo if you don't kill the animals yourself?

Yes.

Back in the paleo days, it's likely you would have been a gatherer.