1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pal Zileri suits - among the great Italian suitmakers or a mere second-fiddle?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ricardo Malocchio, Apr 15, 2008.

1. drducky

drducky Senior member

I think like every other clothes decision around here, price becomes a factor of desirability and time constraint
    given enough time, there's a decent likelihood of finding most things at a significantly better price.. that might be several months and a lot of effort
    so if the pattern is right and fit seems pretty close, do what you feel is best
    I find Sartoriale a major step up (as has been mentioned) from mainline white label and comparable in construction with the big hitters.. most of what I've seen is more unusual patterns that I've found very interesting

2. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

I have yet to see a PZ suit not made in Italy. Is it possible that you have been looking at their diffusion line which an earlier poster had mentioned?

I think they are white label, IIRC. I think they were made in Turkey.

3. robasaurus

robasaurus Senior member

I think they are white label, IIRC. I think they were made in Turkey.

As I said, I've never seen nor heard of a white label PZ made anywhere but Italy. For reference, I work in a men's clothing store which carries PZ white label and a bit of Sartoriale. I see dozens of them every season. This is in Canada though, so it may be different in Hong Kong.

4. EL72

EL72 Senior member

I just ordered a PZ MTM suit in black and white houndstooth which will cost me a little bit more than that (I'm getting a serious discount on it) and I'm more than happy with what I feel is an excellent deal.

I only know one store in Toronto that carries a reasonable collection of PZ so I'm curious who does MTM Zileri in Canada.

And I too have never seen any made in Turkey Zileri from any line.

5. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

I have one pair of pants that seem to do a nice job. Certainly as nice as the other regular italian brands. As for the suits here in Calgary there is one store and the prices are just to high to even bother to look. I'll have to go in one day and have a second glance but again SF has ruined the shopping in this town for this member.

6. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Sorry, I think I mixed it up, that is Boss that made in Turkey, sorry again guys.

7. maomao1980

maomao1980 Senior member Dubiously Honored

starting last season they've introduced or re-introduced a new cut in their White Lable, which features high gorge, very soft shoulders, 3 roll to 2, or 2 two button stance and slim waist with a roped shoulder. The trousers are flat front and also on the slim side, though not Borrelli slim. The normal White Lable suit have a drop of 6, this cut has a drop of 8. I rather like this silhouette and have bought a suit and a coat featuring this cut.

8. Ricardo Malocchio

Ricardo Malocchio Senior member

starting last season they've introduced or re-introduced a new cut in their White Lable, which features high gorge, very soft shoulders, 3 roll to 2, or 2 two button stance and slim waist with a roped shoulder. The trousers are flat front and also on the slim side, though not Borrelli slim. The normal White Lable suit have a drop of 6, this cut has a drop of 8. I rather like this silhouette and have bought a suit and a coat featuring this cut.
    That exactly describes the suit I'm considering, including the slightly less slimness/taper to the pants, the roped shoulders, etc. I'm leaning towards making a purchase, or at least an offer. I don't want to lowball the guy if $800 is in fact a fairly respectable price, but perhaps I should make an offer for about $100 less?

robosaurus, thanks for your comments on the quality of the clothing swatch. It looks very nice, but of course pictures don't tell the whole story.

Interesting that the sartoriale line is considered quite high-end. I sorta assumed it might be like the diffusion (but very good quality) "Sartoriale" Attolini/Kiton lines. I think I've seen the label as well - a website address (pz.sartoriale.it or something) - and it just seemed to imply a lower line.

9. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

Pal Zileri is an Italian maker based in Vincenza, Italy.

All their production is based in Italy AFAIK.

It has several lines as ( from low to high ) and from old to new

• Pal Zileri Sport
      Jeans, casual trousers, shirts etc
    • Novecento, pull, concept
      trendy and young line, jackets are fused, trousers semi-curtained
    • Cerimonia
      Tuxedos and other groom clothing, ( some are really hideous others nice)
      fused or half canvased jackets
    • White label
      This is the main line, wide selection of medium and high quality fabrics, Cupro Bemberg lining.
      The cut and fit varies from collection to collection following general trends
      You can know how old is by the size of the labels and tags, the modern ones have smaller tags without the logo or "Gruppo Forall" and paper tags on the sleeve.
      jackets are full canvas, machine made
      trousers are full curtained.
    • Abito Privato, silver label
      This is the MTM line, I'd say it has better fabrics that white label, same construction methods
    • Sartoriale
      Higher quality and selection of fabrics and linings
      Machine made with hand detailing ( collar and sleeves attachment )
      lighter canvassing
      most but not all have canvas napolitanean shoulders.
      unfinished sleeves
      trousers have many tailored details as buttoned zips, buttoned cuffs, non continous waistband, braces buttons.

Now as to answer, how good they are.

White label that is the suit you are asking about are on the second tier, together with Canali, Corneliani, maybe Zegna sartoria and Baldessarini.

Suits retail for around $1300, again same price point as the second tier, fully canvased Italian suits.

Now, about fit and cut. It is a matter of taste. I personally consider them good, I like Canali a bit more, and I like them better than Corneliani.

They fit me right, have nicer buttons and selection of fabrics than the other 2 and I can get them cheaper.

Many people here praise Isaia suits for example, but many of my Zileris are nicer that many Isaias I have seen.

They can be had here in the forum and on ebay very reduced from between $300-$600 depending on the desirability of the item, and I think this is an excellent price range for a good quality, machine made, fully canvased suit.

I'd not pay $800 myself.

Hope this helps.

10. Ricardo Malocchio

Ricardo Malocchio Senior member

That certainly helps, lakewolf! I'm leaning towards purchasing this suit, but I think I'll make a lower offer for it as the price seems to be just above where many think it should be.

11. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

Ricardo,

Keep in mind we here at SF are used to lower prices than the standard market sales or even ebay could offer.

I can offer low priced Pal Zileri suits, because I happen to live in Europe close to an outlet business that carry them.

But somebody living in Oklahoma or Taipei that wants a Pal Zileri suit could be forced to pay retail or maybe 25% reduction ( so around $1000 a suit ).

Another point to consider is that the items you get here heavily reduced are just a little selection of items and are usually not necesarily what you could be looking for. Those are closeouts bought from end of season sales.

So if you want a charcoal PZ in a 38R you'll have to pay a much higher price than what you'd pay for a PZ brown windowpane suit in a 54R here.

That is it.

12. robasaurus

robasaurus Senior member

I only know one store in Toronto that carries a reasonable collection of PZ so I'm curious who does MTM Zileri in Canada.

The only store I've heard of is my own, Henry Singer, which is in Calgary and Edmonton only. That's who A Canucker was referring to in the post below yours.

As for the suits here in Calgary there is one store and the prices are just to high to even bother to look. I'll have to go in one day and have a second glance but again SF has ruined the shopping in this town for this member.

One thing to keep in mind, Canucker, is that distribution is terrible in Canada. We will inevitably higher prices than anywhere in the US solely based on that and regardless of the current strength of our dollar. The prices of PZ suits (and anything else in my store or elsewhere) burns my ass any time I read a thread on here and hear about US prices. We really get the shaft on retail. That having been said, you would be hard-pressed to find better prices locally than when this stuff goes on sale.

13. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

Hate to bring this up from the dead, but can anyone comment on their red label concept line? I purchased a pair of the red label concept cotton pants at a good discount and so far I'm quite happy with them.

14. misterbowles

misterbowles Senior member

15. misterbowles

misterbowles Senior member

I love charcoal gray, and I don't have one in this particular shade nor in a window-pane pattern. In short, there's a lot for me to like about this suit - with the exception of my unfamiliarity with Pal Zileri and inability to try on before buying!

The fit is right on the money, but I can't really speak to the quality of the fabric. The seller claims its super 100s wool. Among the pictures he sent, I think this one best reveals the fabric:

[​IMG]

That is a fantastic-looking suit. Love the windowpane, ticket pocket, pick-stitching, and the fact that it's a 2-button. And the attention to detail with the windowpanes lining up properly on the pocket flaps...

16. merkur

merkur Senior member

17. merkur

merkur Senior member

18. EL72

EL72 Senior member

How does the Pal Zileri Sartoriale line compare to the Corneliani Linea Sartoria line?

Zileri Sartoriale is top notch (much more handwork than Corneliani) and comparable, if not better, than Zegna Couture and Borrelli. Some fabrics details are pretty crazy though and you have to like the fitted and very soft shoulder, zero padding cut. Prices are much higher than Corneliani too.

19. merkur

merkur Senior member

20. Azure

Azure Senior member

Yes, is a second file brand for SF standarts. They do carry them in my area.

I prefer Corneliani by far. but Zileri´s shirts are best of the best.

The picture of the dummy is great but the stuff I see here is by far more fat than that.

Price, 700 -1300 euros for