• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairing oxford shoes with chinos

Is it acceptable to pair oxfords with chinos?

• Yes, anytime, anywhere.

Votes: 45 27.1%
  • Whenever you've got that "chino + oxfords" feeling.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • In a pinch (other pants at the cleaners, traveling, Halloween costume...)

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • No, except maaaybe in a life or death situation.

Votes: 55 33.1%

• Total voters

Panama

Reaction score
I feel like there are a lot of people here who think “I and my friends all wear [insert clothing choice], so the forum needs to change and accept that.”

Just because something is in fashion right now doesn’t mean it fits with the classical menswear perspective of this forum. If you want to wear slim grey chinos and blue suede oxfords, go for it, but don’t pretend that it’s classical and don’t expect to be cheered for it around here.
What's your definition?

Panama

Reaction score
exactly…

Especially when they use terms like “informed choice” or “trained eye” or try to justify their aesthetic preference with some authority by claiming a “connection to history” when their preference has no more connection than that which they disavow.

it’s a lot like music. Everyone has certain tastes.
but if one person was saying “Pearl Jam has a better connection to history than Dave Matthew’s band (or Vice versa) for those of us with a trained eye…”
I think people would sort of chuckle and be like “uhhh, neither are Bach, you are just making sh*t up…”
When if that same person said “I like Pearl ham better than Dave Matthews because (insert an actual reason…)”. Most people would say that’s ok, that’s your preference.
If DWW was still posting in this thread, he would love to highlight Pearl Ham...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As to why I wear Oxfords. They are the smartest and most comfortable GYW shoe. Loafers slip off my feet, Chelsea boots look weird and are uncomfortable, Derbies are generally unattractive, Monkstraps are for children. I do.have Desert boots, but I would look like a geriatric Mod if I wore them often. Chukka boots are glorified Desert boots.

I do not wear trainers outside of the gym, but I haven't heard of Keds before so may investigate further.
I thought the same for quite a while but did some experimenting and finally found loafers that fit. Also fell in love with Chelsea boots and wear them with tailoring and also casually in cooler weather. Try a sleeker pair like C&J Chelsea VIII or similar. I wear their chunkier Chelsea V casually.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it’s a lot like music. Everyone has certain tastes.
but if one person was saying “Pearl Jam has a better connection to history than Dave Matthew’s band (or Vice versa) for those of us with a trained eye…”
I have never listened to music with a trained eye ... ear, yes. ;) That said, I can sometimes follow the fingering of an instrument and play the music in my head ... even if I can't actually hear the instrument. I grew up playing the piano, harpsichord, oboe, and flute. I'll listen to a piece while driving and if I'm familiar I'll finger it (typically for oboe) on the steering wheel.

Last edited:

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
. The reason I only wear these is that I am too old for jeans and cannot find 100% machine washable wool…

As to why I wear Oxfords. They are the smartest and most (...) Chelsea boots look weird and are uncomfortable, Derbies are generally unattractive, Monkstraps are for children. I do have Desert boots, but I would look like a geriatric Mod if I wore them often. Chukka boots are glorified Desert boots..
Too old for jeans? Is there an age when you are supposed not wear them anymore?

Probably I am a “geriatric Mod” as I love Chukka and Chelsea boots which I wear quite often, among others.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only wear Chinos and Cords, not because of any recent trend. Both "pants" have been around for over a hundred years. The reason I only wear these is that I am too old for jeans and cannot find 100% machine washable wool trousers/slacks or whatever. I am OCD and wash my clothing generally after one wear, I can wear up to three shirts a day simply because I can. I knew one guy that wore the same suit solidly for two years before having it dry cleaned. I would imagine that the rear of his suit trousers were stained yellow and probably hard and crispy.

As to why I wear Oxfords. They are the smartest and most comfortable GYW shoe. Loafers slip off my feet, Chelsea boots look weird and are uncomfortable, Derbies are generally unattractive, Monkstraps are for children. I do have Desert boots, but I would look like a geriatric Mod if I wore them often. Chukka boots are glorified Desert boots.

Thus they are the perfect combination.
I would avoid stone Chinos with black Oxford brogues, but tan Oxfords. Why not?

I do not wear trainers outside of the gym, but I haven't heard of Keds before so may investigate further.

I would highly recommend Superga canvas tennis shoes if your looking for a good casual summer style, they do some really good reissues of their older 60s models that have a cooler Italian vibe than Converse etc ?

Stone Chinos and Tan shoes is always a great relaxed colour combo, easier to wear than British Khaki which I always find a bit too dark??

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too old for jeans? Is there an age when you are supposed not wear them anymore?

Probably I am a “geriatric Mod” as I love Chukka and Chelsea boots which I wear quite often, among others.

I still like my Jeans at 52 years old, I always think the better dressed Brits I see knocking around have a little bit of a Mod influence in their style

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still like my Jeans at 52 years old, I always think the better dressed Brits I see knocking around have a little bit of a Mod influence in their style
At 69 years old when the photo was taken, jeans, a Harrington Baracuta and Sanders Chukka boots, Too many years wearing tailored clothes, time for trying something different..

52fce01f77639c728509fc6a235f3e8b.jpeg

emptym

Reaction score
...The reason I only wear these is that I am too old for jeans and cannot find 100% machine washable wool trousers/slacks or whatever. I am OCD and wash my clothing generally after one wear, I can wear up to three shirts a day simply because I can. ...
You're in the UK, right? Gurteen sells washable wool pants (flannels, cavalry twills, and tropical wool, iirc). They're "100% machine washable," but not 100% wool. I have their cavalry twills and love them for cold, wet days. If they get muddy, oily gutter water or deicer-laden slush splashed on them, you can just pop them in the washing machine. Luxire has washable wool blend pants too. If you want 100% wool washable pants, then Zegna's Techmerino is an option.

Other than being harmful to the shirts themselves, wearing (and washing I assume) three shirts per day is pretty bad for the environment.

Panama

Reaction score
You're in the UK, right? Gurteen sells washable wool pants (flannels, cavalry twills, and tropical wool, iirc). They're "100% machine washable," but not 100% wool. I have their cavalry twills and love them for cold, wet days. If they get muddy, oily gutter water or deicer-laden slush splashed on them, you can just pop them in the washing machine. Luxire has washable wool blend pants too. If you want 100% wool washable pants, then Zegna's Techmerino is an option.

Other than being harmful to the shirts themselves, wearing (and washing I assume) three shirts per day is pretty bad for the environment.
I have hundreds of shirts so they go through minimal usage. I also use a eco washing detergent and unlike most North Americans do not tumble dry, so I am probably coming out even.

Thanks for the trouser recommendations, but yes it's needs to be 100% wool. Artificial fibres gives me dermatitis or aggravates it.

John Lewis, M&S, and C&A all did washable 100% wool in the 90's. It appears we are going backwards.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
As to why I wear Oxfords. They are the smartest and most comfortable GYW shoe. Loafers slip off my feet, Chelsea boots look weird and are uncomfortable, Derbies are generally unattractive, Monkstraps are for children. I do have Desert boots, but I would look like a geriatric Mod if I wore them often. Chukka boots are glorified Desert boots.

good call

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads