• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairing oxford shoes with chinos

Is it acceptable to pair oxfords with chinos?

• Yes, anytime, anywhere.

Votes: 45 27.1%
  • Whenever you've got that "chino + oxfords" feeling.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • In a pinch (other pants at the cleaners, traveling, Halloween costume...)

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • No, except maaaybe in a life or death situation.

Votes: 55 33.1%

• Total voters

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stylewords

Reaction score
Yes! The only thing that could possibly make this thread worse is a debate about music. Please continue so I can just swear the thread off for good.
It wasn't me who brought it up. But anyway, discussions develop and if a thread isn't isn't busy being born, it's busy dying.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I hope this is not to suggest that by switching my "oxfords with chinos" answer from when hell freezes over to wearing the suede oxfords and derbies interchangeably that I'm playing easy with the enemy.

I believe this falls under the Aid and Comfort statute. I'm sorry, but the penalty is death.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Forget oxfords and chinos. If you don't like Dylan, you have no taste and no soul.
The other night I put on some Beethoven. My spouse shared "I am not fond of this 'modern' music."

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Budapester is really nice, but I take it to be a dressier shoe. What I liked about the Pembroke is exactly that it is quite rugged and rustic. It's an English country shoe, and given that it is quite different from most of what I wear, I really like the contrast.

The Pembroke also is really wonderfully resistant to everything. I've been caught in some serious downpours here in Illinois from thunderstorms, and my Pembrokes were like "lol, we're fine, don't worry. In fact, we'll look better once you're home". Excluding getting mud stuck in the dainite, they really don't take a beating from the weather at all.

I think derbys should also be recommended for grain leathers. Smooth box calf is more of an oxford thing for me.

The Pembroke in grain is definitly more rustic. I posted the Pembroke in calf vs the Budapester primarily because the last shapes are differently. The Budapester in P2 is a much more rounded, continental, countryfied shape to me.

I think on its own the Pembroke is more modern/aggressive in shape.

I think you are right that grain is more casual/rustic than the smooth calf Budapester. So in a way to me its somewhat a wash.

I think taking all things in, I would agree the grain Pembroke is more rustic than the calf Budapester, but I lean to thinking the Budapester in calf is more country than the Pembroke in calf by dint of shape.

(Talk about overthinking...wipes brow).

I mean, double monks were really popular for a time, so I don't think you can be faulted for falling into a trend that was literally everywhere. In fact, I consistently still see double monks out there in the world. Some of them still look nice.

I actually don't hate double monks as much as many on the forum do at this point. I own a pair of C+J Lowndes still.

I specifically was referring to my now donated AE Chili double monks. Very loud color on a loud shoe. Got rid of for a reason.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Pembroke in grain is definitly more rustic. I posted the Pembroke in calf vs the Budapester primarily because the last shapes are differently. The Budapester in P2 is a much more rounded, continental, countryfied shape to me.

I think on its own the Pembroke is more modern/aggressive in shape.

I think you are right that grain is more casual/rustic than the smooth calf Budapester. So in a way to me its somewhat a wash.

I think taking all things in, I would agree the grain Pembroke is more rustic than the calf Budapester, but I lean to thinking the Budapester in calf is more country than the Pembroke in calf by dint of shape.

(Talk about overthinking...wipes brow).

I actually don't hate double monks as much as many on the forum do at this point. I own a pair of C+J Lowndes still.

I specifically was referring to my now donated AE Chili double monks. Very loud color on a loud shoe. Got rid of for a reason.

I'd have to check out the last more thoroughly.

I am not seeing a gigantic difference in the lasts between:

And

The main difference seems to be the depth of the shoe. The budapest is definitely more rounded from the side, but not by a substantial amount.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have to check out the last more thoroughly.

I am not seeing a gigantic difference in the lasts between:

And

The main difference seems to be the depth of the shoe. The budapest is definitely more rounded from the side, but not by a substantial amount.

Thats the 3636! Even more rounded! The 3636 is so roomy that generally you have to size down.

Agree from the top they aren't that different. From the side the Vass lasts to me look more rounded, less tapered, and not as tall.

VegasRebel

Reaction score
I specifically was referring to my now donated AE Chili double monks. Very loud color on a loud shoe.

Wait, these? (Or something like them?)

ETA Link: https://www.allenedmonds.com/cyber-monday/st.-johns-double-monk-strap/2927-115-E.html

1632164490645.png

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I think they're house slippers. In which case, they're more subdued than the kilim slippers that were popular back then (I confess I have a pair, bought as a laugh, though these days I mostly wear Friulian velvet slippers at home in the morning).

i think they are outdoor opera pumps/loafers? They aren’t advertised in the pajamas/slippers/robe section.

not that I like them, but thought it was funny when fashion forward shoes were being criticized as some new now thing but then saw those in The Bible.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

VegasRebel

Reaction score
That's them. They were even the nice ones before AE got sold and started making uppers in DR. But still not a fan of them now and would have been better wearing something else back when I wore them.

If those are "very loud," I do hope ranch doesn't burn your mouth too much.

(This has been a hostile thread - I mean this jokingly, I'm not taking an actual shot.)

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If those are "very loud," I do hope ranch doesn't burn your mouth too much.

(This has been a hostile thread - I mean this jokingly, I'm not taking an actual shot.)

I don't like ranch much. I am constantly astounded when I see people putting it on protein or pizza. Ranch is like the "bacon on everything" craze to me - a sign of the plumpening of America.

The St. John in person to me is quite loud. Double monk to begin with. Loud light brown "chili" color. Medallion on the toe. I would posit that a shoe like this:
1632165299566.png

Would be less loud.

I already know I'm committing sacrilege by still thinking double monks are ok shoes, ever, but the AE Chili one is really best left unworn.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've lived in Southeast Asia for a decade and I don't think it ever was fiction nor will it become so. @Riva could comment if he were still around. Well, punkkah wallahs are gone I guess. And the quarter million bayonets is now a quarter trillion US dollars...

Alas freedom to tell people what they do not want to hear is fiction in this site.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Not meaning to come at you personally here, so please don't take it as such.

But I think this thread is illustrative of some of the points being made here.

JFWR is in the chinos w/ oxfords camp, and thinks that oxfords w/ jeans (in some situations) can work. Yet doesn't wear jeans.

Similarly, other vociferous posters on the thread who support oxfords w/ chinos, or jeans, have expressed generalizations that they prefer suits or don't wear denim.

I feel like the people who are generally against the look of chinos/denim w/ an oxford have much more exposure to denim/SWD in general.

I, for example, do operations for a private label denim company (I know, Chihuahua will be upset I'm neither a famous dead painter nor a wedding planner). We ship tens of thousands of jeans and chinos in 100's of sku's every week. I walk into our showrooms both in LA and NY and see what our designers are pairing with chinos and denim. Oxfords are just, not in the wheelhouse. Not even stylistically adjacent.

I also wear denim, mostly Japanese selvedge with a higher rise and thicker hand feel. I have left the Diesel abominations behind in my 20's (though I liked them quite a bit back then - live and learn).

I did chuckle a little bit at the part where you point out that not everyone in favor of the Oxford + chinos or jeans look even wears them. I would obvious fall I to that camp. And I actually don’t even think that they are a great (or even good) combination.

I just took humor in king troll making up rules, and claiming his superior training as his justification for why he is the rule making authority. The absolute “oxfords shall only be worn with suits” made up rule.
But there are so many good examples of oxfords with wool trousers and sports coats and such, both historically and modern, that such a made up rule is laughable. So I had some fun laughing at it.

I think it’s pretty simple in a soorts coat situation.
if you are trying to dress the sports coat look up, like that huntsman photo or some of simons’s examples, a pair of oxfords workgreat. As do sleeker derbies and loafers and even monk straps.
if you are trying to blend in more with a casual vibe, then maybe go with a more casual shoe.

but there is no rule against either. And both work fine. Also, each person has a different body shape and overall look, and the way the shoe style compliments each individual will be different.

it’s not complicated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads