• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairing oxford shoes with chinos

Is it acceptable to pair oxfords with chinos?

• Yes, anytime, anywhere.

Votes: 45 27.1%
  • Whenever you've got that "chino + oxfords" feeling.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • In a pinch (other pants at the cleaners, traveling, Halloween costume...)

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • No, except maaaybe in a life or death situation.

Votes: 55 33.1%

• Total voters

Sir Jack II

Reaction score
How about this look?

what do you guys think?

Trigger warning: I really dislike fancy denim with the little roll. It just looks so twee. I predict that five years from now, if not sooner, it’ll be generally clucked at.

I think a pair of bluchers would fit this outfit so much better. Oxfords don’t belong here.

Last edited:

jack webb

Reaction score
To my eye an untucked shirt works best if both it and the pants run more towards fitted than loose. I think generously-cut untucked shirts paired with relaxed-fit trousers look sloppy. Just a preference.

Stylewords

Reaction score
Trigger warning: I really dislike fancy denim with the little roll. It just looks so twee. I predict that five years from now, if not sooner, it’ll be generally clucked at.

I think a pair of bluchers would fit this outfit so much better. Oxfords don’t belong here.
I don't get it. People have been wearing it selvedge denim with turn-ups/rolls for decades.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No bueno.

The no-socks with a black cap toed oxford?

cringeworth-socially-awkward-anime-characters.jpg

I think he could have pulled off some socks and some brogues in an oxford, but why pick the most formal oxford?

Honestly, I would probably suggest that it is not the wisest thing in the world to wear oxfords with jeans, though I think you can sometimes pull it off, but definitely not black cap toes in the normal course of affairs. I think you can more reliably wear oxfords with chinos, and I think it's insane to say you can't wear them with a sport coat/trousers combo.

I'm not really a "jeans guy", though. I am thinking of buying a pair for the first time in 20 years, but then again, also "no".

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think he could have pulled off some socks and some brogues in an oxford, but why pick the most formal oxford?

Honestly, I would probably suggest that it is not the wisest thing in the world to wear oxfords with jeans, though I think you can sometimes pull it offm, but definitely not black cap toes in the normal course of affairs. I think you can more reliably wear oxfords with chinos, and I think it's insane to say you can't wear them with a sport coat/trousers combo.

I'm not really a "jeans guy", though. I am thinking of buying a pair for the first time in 20 years, but then again, also "no".

Not meaning to come at you personally here, so please don't take it as such.

But I think this thread is illustrative of some of the points being made here.

JFWR is in the chinos w/ oxfords camp, and thinks that oxfords w/ jeans (in some situations) can work. Yet doesn't wear jeans.

Similarly, other vociferous posters on the thread who support oxfords w/ chinos, or jeans, have expressed generalizations that they prefer suits or don't wear denim.

I feel like the people who are generally against the look of chinos/denim w/ an oxford have much more exposure to denim/SWD in general.

I, for example, do operations for a private label denim company (I know, Chihuahua will be upset I'm neither a famous dead painter nor a wedding planner). We ship tens of thousands of jeans and chinos in 100's of sku's every week. I walk into our showrooms both in LA and NY and see what our designers are pairing with chinos and denim. Oxfords are just, not in the wheelhouse. Not even stylistically adjacent.

I also wear denim, mostly Japanese selvedge with a higher rise and thicker hand feel. I have left the Diesel abominations behind in my 20's (though I liked them quite a bit back then - live and learn).

reidrothchild

Reaction score
I don't like that jeans/oxford look at all.

To the extent there's this fascination with it, I personally think Paul Stuart does an excellent job both of pushing boundaries in terms of blending casual/streetwear-type clothing (I'm not going to say "caj" because, if you say "caj" five times while looking in the mirror, Chihuahua will appear behind you and call you a "loafer guy") and Classic Menswear.

Here are two looks I quite like from the Fall '21 catalogue. I don't think I could pull either off myself because they're too bold for my personal style--and I don't have the money to put together $10,000 outfits.

The first look is probably fairly within the range of CM, just with bolder patterns/colors/textures. Would the first look be just fine with some suede or pebble-grained brogue oxfords? Sure? I guess. But it looks much better with Chelseas.

The second one has some CM elements (a sport coat, anyway) and probably shouldn't work. I'm sure many on here don't think it does, but I like the suede trainer with that outfit more than I'd like any oxford because the model is wearing entirely textured knit/jersey fabric. It's about as casual a look from the ankles up as you can get and still be arguably within the realm of CM. So I think the look is more coherent sneakers than if Paul Stuart decided to throw some black oxfords in there. And look #2 is more "dressed up" than the dude above in camo and jeans.

1632158715938.png

1632159204124.png

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
loafers or slip ons or opera pumps or whatever

I think they're house slippers. In which case, they're more subdued than the kilim slippers that were popular back then (I confess I have a pair, bought as a laugh, though these days I mostly wear Friulian velvet slippers at home in the morning).

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honestly, I would probably suggest that it is not the wisest thing in the world to wear oxfords with jeans, though I think you can sometimes pull it offm, but definitely not black cap toes in the normal course of affairs. I think you can more reliably wear oxfords with chinos, and I think it's insane to say you can't wear them with a sport coat/trousers combo.

No socks with black cap toe oxfords is pretty silly. No socks with black cap toe oxfords and denim is ridiculous, imo. This would have been much better with some loafers.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they're house slippers. In which case, they're more subdued than the kilim slippers that were popular back then (I confess I have a pair, bought as a laugh, though these days I mostly wear Friulian velvet slippers at home in the morning).

Definitely house slippers. I wear these guys:
1632160215354.png

around the house b/c my wife does not allow shoes. But those are just backless versions of:
1632160197015.png

Which is consonant design and shape wise w/ the slippers you correctly identified as house slippers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads