• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairing oxford shoes with chinos

Is it acceptable to pair oxfords with chinos?

• Yes, anytime, anywhere.

Votes: 45 27.1%
  • Whenever you've got that "chino + oxfords" feeling.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • In a pinch (other pants at the cleaners, traveling, Halloween costume...)

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • No, except maaaybe in a life or death situation.

Votes: 55 33.1%

• Total voters

emptym

Reaction score
... a poll which was itself worded to ridicule these clothing choices,...
...Currently yes. That's why I was asking if there is a way to see who voted yes and no. I'm far more interested in seeing who has an opinion and why...
I made the poll, and I didn't do it to ridicule the choices. I did want to inject some humor for fun though. Basically, I intended it to be a scale from definitely yes, to probably yes, probably no, and definitely no. As mentioned, I wish I'd made a middle option of "depends on the chinos and/or oxfords." And I wish I'd made it public. There didn't seem to be an option for that.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made the poll, and I didn't do it to ridicule the choices. I did want to inject some humor for fun though. Basically, I intended it to be a scale from definitely yes, to probably yes, probably no, and definitely no. As mentioned, I wish I'd made a middle option of "depends on the chinos and/or oxfords." And I wish I'd made it public. There didn't seem to be an option for that.

It amused me, thanks ???

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The intent of the choices is perfectly clear to anyone actually engaging honestly.

My real wonder is how many of the answers on either side are recently made accounts.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score

most of us understood the humor. Those of us with “trained eyes” for message boards can come to that informed conclusion. Those who are new to message boards might have missed the humor though.

And ultimately 70% chose a “yes” option of some sort.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The intent of the choices is perfectly clear to anyone actually engaging honestly.

My real wonder is how many of the answers on either side are recently made accounts.

To your benefit though, the Definately No vote is climbing rapidly now the jokes out ???

jack webb

Reaction score
most of us understood the humor. Those of us with “trained eyes” for message boards can come to that informed conclusion. Those who are new to message boards might have missed the humor though.

And ultimately 70% chose a “yes” option of some sort.
I'd set aside the votes for option C as, regardless of intent, people differ on whether they interpret it as yes-is or no-ish. That done, you are left with roughly 57% who find the pairing acceptable under at least some circumstances, and 43% who firmly say no.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I'd made a middle option of "depends on the chinos and/or oxfords." And I wish I'd made it public. There didn't seem to be an option for that.
I didn't vote precisely because none of the options reflected my position, even though I have already expressed it in the thread.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd set aside the votes for option C as, regardless of intent, people differ on whether they interpret it as yes-is or no-ish. That done, you are left with roughly 57% who find the pairing acceptable under at least some circumstances, and 43% who firmly say no.

Differing opinions from the Yes camp don't matter. The intent of the people selecting C matters, and any honest reading of "Halloween costume" or "other pants at the cleaners" is obviously satirical.

Any 4 choice gradiant poll of this kind can be read very easily as, translated:
"Agree or Disagree: You can wear oxfords with chinos"
A) Strongly agree
B) Agree
C) Disagree
D) Strongly Disagree

@emptym clearly understands this as well, which is why he wishes he should have put in a middle option which would have translated to "neutral."

For the Yes camp to take option C and say "oh thats a yes" or "throw it out" is patently absurd.

Beyond that, as I've said before, most of the people making arguments on the yes side at this point are waging absurdist claims, name calling, willfully misrepresenting views, and trolling. The exception I think is @Nobilis Animus who I believe has argued in good faith for the oxfords with chinos camp.

mjs

Reaction score
Many years ago I used to read this forum and AAAC a lot, ten-plus years ago, when I was in college and afterward. I'm not sure why but I drifted away.

When it looked like the pandemic was winding down, the prospect of the world reopening and social life going back to normal was combined with a lot of free time and getting back into shape, and I set out to refresh my wardrobe, so I found myself spending time here again.

In fact I spent most of my Sunday afternoon reading this thread, and I enjoyed it a lot!

It really reminds me of the way SF/AAAC were back then. Long arguments between people who knew a great deal about this stuff, it was very educational. Manton, FNB, so many other names I can't quite clearly remember anymore. The deep knowledge of people truly fixated on and immersed in 'trad' or neapolitan or different sorts of bespoke tailoring. Old photos and apparel arts scans.

I don't mean to denigrate the forums today, they are still a wealth of information and a great community, but they are different. The internet has changed - not to mention tastes - people's lives move on and they get in to other things, and so must "the clothes forums." (The Alden threads are in Streetwear and Denim?) This was a nice walk down memory lane though, it made me feel nostalgic and I liked it.

I will not be wearing my oxford shoes with jeans or chinos!

Last edited:

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Differing opinions from the Yes camp don't matter. The intent of the people selecting C matters, and any honest reading of "Halloween costume" or "other pants at the cleaners" is obviously satirical.

Any 4 choice gradiant poll of this kind can be read very easily as, translated:
"Agree or Disagree: You can wear oxfords with chinos"
A) Strongly agree
B) Agree
C) Disagree
D) Strongly Disagree

@emptym clearly understands this as well, which is why he wishes he should have put in a middle option which would have translated to "neutral."

For the Yes camp to take option C and say "oh thats a yes" or "throw it out" is patently absurd.

Beyond that, as I've said before, most of the people making arguments on the yes side at this point are waging absurdist claims, name calling, willfully misrepresenting views, and trolling. The exception I think is @Nobilis Animus who I believe has argued in good faith for the oxfords with chinos camp.

If they look good, and the wearer is happy and comfortable with the combo of Oxford shoes with Chino trousers, what exactly is the problem with it???

Why should we all care if some mythical unwritten rule has been bent??

The whole thread is a bit of humour including a ridiculous (but funny) poll where everybody who voted has basically admitted there are circumstances where they would indeed rock this "pant/shoe combo from hell"

Why all the bitterness and hatred??

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they look good, and the wearer is happy and comfortable with the combo of Oxford shoes with Chino trousers, what exactly is the problem with it???

Why should we all care if some mythical unwritten rule has been bent??

The whole thread is a bit of humour including a ridiculous (but funny) poll where everybody who voted has basically admitted there are circumstances where they would indeed rock this "pant/shoe combo from hell"

Why all the bitterness and hatred??

I'm less bitter and more generally depressed that this is the air on SF right now.

This started when @dieworkwear said the following, this was in March, 6 months ago:

Oxfords are only for suits, IMO.

Some here have made the case that some very specific oxfords (e.g. brown suede ones with broguing) can be worn with very formal sport coat outfits (e.g. navy sport coats with grey trousers, white shirt, black grenadine, etc). I disagree, but that combo is less bad to me than oxfords with chinos.

Which is a strong stance, but already not an absolute one. The blowback was much more strident, casting him as an absolutist inventing rules that have no basis.

I myself in May, 4 months ago, said:

Now, Flusser breaks the "rules" himself all the time. But they still exist, and they act as good guidance for those attempting to pur together personal style.

You can totally break the rules, but doing so well usually involves understanding them first.

The most cogent response mustered to this fairly well understood axiom was Chihuahua calling me Picasso for a while for quoting him in regard to the above sentiment.

Really all those months ago @emptym nailed it, and we all continue to make this mistake on this side of the conversation:

It's about the same as it always was, imo. I'd just recommend not getting into long discussions with people who think they know, but don't.

You're new to this thread today, unless my search function is lying to me. I don't think you're arguing in bad faith (as far as I can tell yet - though some of your comments on polling are clearly trolling), and maybe are just having some fun.

Others in the thread have clearly been in bad faith for months.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm less bitter and more generally depressed that this is the air on SF right now.

This started when @dieworkwear said the following, this was in March, 6 months ago:

Which is a strong stance, but already not an absolute one. The blowback was much more strident, casting him as an absolutist inventing rules that have no basis.

I myself in May, 4 months ago, said:

The most cogent response mustered to this fairly well understood axiom was Chihuahua calling me Picasso for a while for quoting him in regard to the above sentiment.

Really all those months ago @emptym nailed it, and we all continue to make this mistake on this side of the conversation:

You're new to this thread today, unless my search function is lying to me. I don't think you're arguing in bad faith (as far as I can tell yet - though some of your comments on polling are clearly trolling), and maybe are just having some fun.

Others in the thread have clearly been in bad faith for months.

We agree on one thing, my interest in the thread is in good faith and I really don't want anybody to feel depressed (not after the year I have had)

The outcome I would actually like is that we can all agree to disagree on the Chino/Oxford combo and not fall out over such trivia

Trolling seems to be a fairly modern term for the age old British custom of "piss taking" and for that I can only apologise, it's part of our culture, and it is always meant in good humour ???

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We agree on one thing, my interest in the thread is in good faith and I really don't want anybody to feel depressed (not after the year I have had)

The outcome I would actually like is that we can all agree to disagree on the Chino/Oxford combo and not fall out over such trivia

Trolling seems to be a fairly modern term for the age old British custom of "piss taking" and for that I can only apologise, it's part of our culture, and it is always meant in good humour ???

Like I said, you just got here. You haven't engaged in 6 months of bad faith argument. 1 day of piss taking is understandable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads