• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairing oxford shoes with chinos

Is it acceptable to pair oxfords with chinos?

• Yes, anytime, anywhere.

Votes: 45 27.1%
  • Whenever you've got that "chino + oxfords" feeling.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • In a pinch (other pants at the cleaners, traveling, Halloween costume...)

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • No, except maaaybe in a life or death situation.

Votes: 55 33.1%

• Total voters

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What was their dislike of this suit based on? What did you learn from their criticism?

I'm curious because I've seen diagonally striped suits like this in a bunch of old Apparel Arts/Esquire images, but never in person and I think it looks good (at least from the image you posted... Maybe the tie is also diagonally striped which would indeed be weird).
That was 15 to 20 years ago and might have been at Ask Andy when many of us were there. Honestly I don't recall the specifics with few exceptions. Btw, the tie is a woven dot ... and that does create its own diagonal ... but I don't recall that being mentioned. What I recall most was criticism of the various directions of the pattern at the lapels. Honestly none of the criticism really bothered me. Being an architect I appreciate the asymmetry. And being an architect, I'm used to presentations before planning commissions and design review boards where criticism is freely offered. I all sincerity I like the suit and wore it mostly to clubs in New York and San Francisco. I also enjoyed wearing it to a restaurant in San Francisco famous for its Deco style. I will add that I knew better than to wear it in middle America.
RADBDiaPinDtl.jpg

Let me see if I can find something that better shows the lapels ... maybe this close-up.

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The voting statistics suggest otherwise!!!!

Knowing the rules is one thing, enforcement of them isn't for me, sorry ?
SmartSelect_20210919-141216_Chrome.jpg

Assuming that my opinion was going to be changed by this poll, or that anyone's will, which is unlikely, the poll is currently 51-45 no/yes.

Is there a way to see who has voted for what in these polls?

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1671644

Assuming that my opinion was going to be changed by this poll, or that anyone's will, which is unlikely, the poll is currently 51-45 no/yes.

Is there a way to see who has voted for what in these polls?

The way I read it is:

30.2% definitely no/69.8% possibly yes ?

So that's a win for the rulebreakers ???

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I read it is:

30.2% definitely no/69.8% possibly yes ?

So that's a win for the rulebreakers ???

I think you are well aware that is a poor reading of that poll.

"Halloween costume" makes it clear choice C is clearly in the no camp.

This take is indicative of the whole problem with this thread.

One side is attempting to have a conversation.

One side is attempting to troll the other by being disingenuous.

jack webb

Reaction score

Choice C seems ambiguous. If it had only given the examples of pants at cleaners and traveling, it would clearly be in the Yes camp; if only the Halloween example, then clearly the No camp.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

C'mon man, nobody likes a sore loser!!!

Read it again, technically everybody who votes is a yes (because of the life and death situation) ?????

The whole thread is nonsense!!!!

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Choice C seems ambiguous. If it had only given the examples of pants at cleaners and traveling, it would clearly be in the Yes camp; if only the Halloween example, then clearly the No camp.

I think that's very generous.

The spirit of the discussion is whether oxfords with Chinos are in good taste. C makes it clear they are not, but in a situation where you don't care what you look like can be worn.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
So even on a thread dominated by posts labelling wearers of chinos with brogues as ignorant, blind or tasteless, with a poll which was itself worded to ridicule these clothing choices, but any reading 45% still of readers still voted yes.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I must admit, after my experiment last week, I pretty much see wearing my suede brogues -- be they oxfords or derbies -- interchangeably (preferably the same pair as opposed to mixed and matched). Somehow I've gotten from when hell friezes over to wearing my oxfords whenever it's not raining here in New York, the Pacific Northwest, or LaJolla. Does that make me a CM turncoat? ;)

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So even on a thread dominated by posts labelling wearers of chinos with brogues as ignorant, blind or tasteless

I'm not sure those posts dominate the thread. If anything, the most vocally abusive and likely to post the same thing over and over is the other side.

with a poll which is was itself worded to ridicule these clothing choices

I think you have a somewhat fair claim here. I would prefer if the poll was:
"Are oxfords and chinos in good taste?"
- Yes?
- No?

45% still of readers still voted yes.

Currently yes. That's why I was asking if there is a way to see who voted yes and no. I'm far more interested in seeing who has an opinion and why.

When Pew does polls on the Rapture, about 40% of Americans believe Jesus Christ will return to earth to rapture the populace within the next half century.

33% of millenials and genz at one point said they thought the Earth might not be round.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
I'm not sure those posts dominate the thread. If anything, the most vocally abusive and likely to post the same thing over and over is the other side.

- Yes?
- No?

Currently yes. That's why I was asking if there is a way to see who voted yes and no. I'm far more interested in seeing who has an opinion and why.

When Pew does polls on the Rapture, about 40% of Americans believe Jesus Christ will return to earth to rapture the populace within the next half century.

33% of millenials and genz at one point said they thought the Earth might not be round.

Or in the case of us Brits, voted through Brexit.

My actual position is in any case some Oxfords with some chinos. Not all. It still strikes me that the poll has failed to provide the unequivocal answer it was framed for. Never mind.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Last edited:

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must admit, after my experiment last week, I pretty much see wearing my suede brogues -- be they oxfords or derbies -- interchangeably (preferably the same pair as opposed to mixed and matched). Somehow I've gotten from when hell friezes over to wearing my oxfords whenever it's not raining here in New York, the Pacific Northwest, or LaJolla. Does that make me a CM turncoat? ;)

The signature phrase at the bottom of all your posts contains the answer ?

Reactions: RSS

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- Yes?
- No?

33% would indeed be correct, I believe the correct term is an "Oblate Spheroid" ???

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads