• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairing oxford shoes with chinos

Is it acceptable to pair oxfords with chinos?

• Yes, anytime, anywhere.

Votes: 45 27.1%
  • Whenever you've got that "chino + oxfords" feeling.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • In a pinch (other pants at the cleaners, traveling, Halloween costume...)

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • No, except maaaybe in a life or death situation.

Votes: 55 33.1%

• Total voters

Northants bloke

Reaction score
I think you could add a fourth group:

(4) People who know how to dress with traditional styles but are also aware and use recent trends and, because of this, are able and willing to experiment. This group could fall into your third one, but not necessarily.

I'm not sure I can entirely disentangle 2, 3 and 4. Practical considerations override cod philosophy. Tradition isn't really a consideration if no one else is following it.

To my eyes and upbringing, most brogues (including Oxford brogues) work with ANYTHING from jeans to suits except black tie.

I own more clothes now than I ever previously imagined. Far more than my dad every did but not at the quality espoused here. My outfits are still smarter than what most English men wear to the shops, pubs and restaurants and absolutely NOBODY here wears a suit off duty anymore. I still keep a couple just-in-case but chances of needing to wear formal black toecaps are vanishing. Even older men these days wear hoodies and t-shirts.

Nothing unusual, but I rarely leave the house without smart jeans/chinos/perhaps cords, chukkas/boots/brogues, casual shirts/polos, casual sports jacket/blazer (unless too hot) plus a scarf and
raincoat/peacoat/overcoat if needed. These are my rules. In my natural habitat, I feel well dressed and comfortable but hopefully avoiding any impression that I am trying too hard. To be seen to be trying too hard (often described here as cosplay) is far worse than being under dressed.

Smart slim fit chinos are great for work because they can (to an extent) be dressed up for work (knitted tie and Oxford shirt). Importantly they are machine washable so avoid the cost (both financial and ecological) as well as the inconvenience of dry cleaning. There is plenty of variety of texture in cotton trousers and I rotate about a dozen pairs.

Regarding the dreaded unlined blue suede oxford brogues. I wasn't aware of any particular trend except that Cheaney (factory shop) were offering them one year. They make a pleasant change to liven up brown or grey chinos. In fact I can't think of any other context where I would wear them. A simple reversal of brown shoes with blue/grey trousers.

No historical reference is going to change my mind because it is irrelevant. More recently Loake blue suede chukkas and olive suede brogue boots. None of these would be my first purchases if I was starting over but why not?

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like there are a lot of people here who think “I and my friends all wear [insert clothing choice], so the forum needs to change and accept that.”

Just because something is in fashion right now doesn’t mean it fits with the classical menswear perspective of this forum. If you want to wear slim grey chinos and blue suede oxfords, go for it, but don’t pretend that it’s classical and don’t expect to be cheered for it around here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I can entirely disentangle 2, 3 and 4. Practical considerations override cod philosophy. Tradition isn't really a consideration if no one else is following it.

To my eyes and upbringing, most brogues (including Oxford brogues) work with ANYTHING from jeans to suits except black tie.

I own more clothes now than I ever previously imagined. Far more than my dad every did but not at the quality espoused here. My outfits are still smarter than what most English men wear to the shops, pubs and restaurants and absolutely NOBODY here wears a suit off duty anymore. I still keep a couple just-in-case but chances of needing to wear formal black toecaps are vanishing. Even older men these days wear hoodies and t-shirts.

Nothing unusual, but I rarely leave the house without smart jeans/chinos/perhaps cords, chukkas/boots/brogues, casual shirts/polos, casual sports jacket/blazer (unless too hot) plus a scarf and
raincoat/peacoat/overcoat if needed. These are my rules. In my natural habitat, I feel well dressed and comfortable but hopefully avoiding any impression that I am trying too hard. To be seen to be trying too hard (often described here as cosplay) is far worse than being under dressed.

Smart slim fit chinos are great for work because they can (to an extent) be dressed up for work (knitted tie and Oxford shirt). Importantly they are machine washable so avoid the cost (both financial and ecological) as well as the inconvenience of dry cleaning. There is plenty of variety of texture in cotton trousers and I rotate about a dozen pairs.

Regarding the dreaded unlined blue suede oxford brogues. I wasn't aware of any particular trend except that Cheaney (factory shop) were offering them one year. They make a pleasant change to liven up brown or grey chinos. In fact I can't think of any other context where I would wear them. A simple reversal of brown shoes with blue/grey trousers.

No historical reference is going to change my mind because it is irrelevant. More recently Loake blue suede chukkas and olive suede brogue boots. None of these would be my first purchases if I was starting over but why not?
That's cos you live in North Londonshire tho

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because something is in fashion right now doesn’t mean it fits with the classical menswear perspective of this forum. If you want to wear slim grey chinos and blue suede oxfords, go for it, but don’t pretend that it’s classical and don’t expect to be cheered for it around here.
By the same token, is there any particular reason to believe that 'Golden Age' attire will indefinitely remain the touchstone? I think the early part of that era is closer in time to the American Civil War than it is to 2021. Could be that it had a good run but some people are starting to move on. Worth considering, perhaps.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the same token, is there any particular reason to believe that 'Golden Age' attire will indefinitely remain the touchstone? I think the early part of that era is closer in time to the American Civil War than it is to 2021. Could be that it had a good run but some people are starting to move on. Worth considering, perhaps.

I mean, I don’t think anyone here is honestly pushing repros of 1940s suits and hats.

I think pretty much all the recent fits that DWW has posted here are still relevant and look good. If it’s not your taste then again, that’s fine.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
I feel like there are a lot of people here who think “I and my friends all wear [insert clothing choice], so the forum needs to change and accept that.”

That's fine. Of course in suggesting that taste is personal, it cuts both ways. Your opinion of my blue brogues is entirely valid. We all have arses and we all have opinions.

On the other hand, 'classic style' is not nearly as fixed as some here pretend. I would merely suggest that if fewer fundamentalists closing down discussion with their strict and particular doctrines of style, we might see more interesting and creative examples of oxfords with chinos (the point of the thread).

We can all come up with 'rules' based on our own peer groups and local customs. It only becomes laughable when someone tries to apply their own preferences to devise universal laws.

I wouldn't wear them to work in a bank in central London. Not a problem. Cotton trousers are hardly a new innovation and Cheaney has a heritage dating back to the 1880s.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
I mean, I don’t think anyone here is honestly pushing repros of 1940s suits and hats.

I think pretty much all the recent fits that DWW has posted here are still relevant and look good. If it’s not your taste then again, that’s fine.

I have enjoyed reading DWW's posts. He is clearly knowledgeable and his contributions are interesting. My contention is that his personal opinions are overstated as universal principles. No one has the monopoly.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel the same way, that taste is to each his own. I try not to be judgmental of others, even if I can't make sense of what they are doing. (This is the case for me when it comes to most streetwear looks, for example.) I try to maintain humility, which to me means that even when you are confident in your own abilities you never believe that you don't have anything left to learn.

I also maintain a certain skepticism of self-represented 'authority' in the arts, especially in matters that seem to have room for interpretation or that may be malleable over time. I sometimes wonder if Permanent Style is starting to lose the plot a little bit. Consider this cover image on their website at the moment:

PS.JPG

It's hard to count the ways in which that image runs counter to the 'received wisdom' being issued here.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
6) Guys don't wear suits very much anymore, particularly country/informal suits, but they still want to get some use out of their "nice" shoes.
I had to chuckle. The other day when I wore my suede oxfords with odd trousers and a coat, this was partly the reason. I got out a pair of Peal's -- in a deep brown ... half brogue -- I've had since the 80's. They looked to me nearly unworn. As I'm 71 I thought, wear them now before it's too late. ;)

But I have since come to my wits and found in my closet several nearly unworn pairs of suede derbies in a nice deep brown and one in a medium brown. Whew!

Honestly, I'll wear them all.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel the same way, that taste is to each his own. I try not to be judgmental of others, even if I can't make sense of what they are doing. (This is the case for me when it comes to most streetwear looks, for example.) I try to maintain humility, which to me means that even when you are confident in your own abilities you never believe that you don't have anything left to learn.
I think that this veers too far into the “anything goes” realm where any outfit looks good. I will say that one thing I appreciated about the older SF is that members were more willing to call out bad outfits. Right now it feels like many bad outfits are being posted and getting likes, and there is too little critical discussion of why a particular fit works or doesn’t work.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will say that one thing I appreciated about the older SF is that members were more willing to call out bad outfits.
I recall posting -- long ago -- a photo of me wearing a double-breasted Richard Anderson in a diagonal pinstripe. Few liked it and I got LOTS of feedback. Style forum was more educational in those days. And you are right, that rarely happens these days.

Attachments

• RADPDiagPinTorso2.jpg
    RADPDiagPinTorso2.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads