• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairing oxford shoes with chinos

Is it acceptable to pair oxfords with chinos?

• Yes, anytime, anywhere.

Votes: 45 27.3%
  • Whenever you've got that "chino + oxfords" feeling.

Votes: 29 17.6%
  • In a pinch (other pants at the cleaners, traveling, Halloween costume...)

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • No, except maaaybe in a life or death situation.

Votes: 55 33.3%

• Total voters

Leiker

Reaction score
Where do you get yours, and how often do you wear them?
I've had good luck with L.L Bean. I recently sent a pair similar to these (in shale gray) to the thrift store because I've gone down a waist size:

But I notice above that you mentioned fading as a problem, and they definitely fade over time. I wore those 2 or 3 times a month for a couple of years, and they faded with repeated laundering.

emptym

Reaction score
A?:
IMG_20210909_1248177.jpeg

Or B?:
IMG_20210909_094631_edit_727532647016587.jpg

Photo credits to @JFWR and @DonRaphael.
General poll added to thread. If you have wittier option titles, pls post them.

emptym

Reaction score
I will resist, um, that term, with my dying breath.

But good idea!

Northants bloke

Reaction score
The poll should allow for the option that informal oxfords such as grained, suede, brogues look pleasant with informal trousers such as darker cotton trousers or chinos. Obviously not ultra formal black toecaps with baggy khakis but most subtle combinations are fine. I would have liked to see more positive contributions

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polished calf skin or shell? No way in hell. Something more casual. Suede? Yeah, it works. Something extremely casual like my waxed suede McTavish brogues with lug soles.............

OXbjjS.gif

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had to look those up.

Can I ask what do you wear up top?

View attachment 1666726 View attachment 1666727

Yesterday was a pair of very dark navy chinos and a pink dress shirt--no tie and no jacket. I've worn them with dark denim, which I think is their best pairing. With a suit? Never. With dress trousers and a sportcoat? Perhaps...probably if it was more in a function over form manner on a snowy Chicago day.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yesterday was a pair of very dark navy chinos and a pink dress shirt--no tie and no jacket. I've worn them with dark denim, which I think is their best pairing. With a suit? Never. With dress trousers and a sportcoat? Perhaps...probably if it was more in a function over form manner on a snowy Chicago day.

Thanks.

For navy chinos and a pink dress shirt, no jacket or tie, I think I would have gone for something like a loafer. Although I generally think that outfits look better with a jacket. For navy chinos, I think I would do: cream-colored sport coat, brown loafers, and a blue-and-white striped shirt. Blue pants and pink shirt read "city" to me; waxed suede chunky wingtips with a lug sole feel rustic. If I were doing blue pants and a pink shirt, I think the shoes and jacket should be similarly city-ish and casual.

A kink in this poll: I think chinos have different levels of formality. The rumpled, double-needle stitched chinos you find at J. Crew are very casual to me. Single needle chinos from Rota are basically like a cotton version of dress pants. I prefer non-oxfords with both, but as the pants get more casual, the incongruence becomes stronger to me.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

For navy chinos and a pink dress shirt, no jacket or tie, I think I would have gone for something like a loafer. Although I generally think that outfits look better with a jacket. For navy chinos, I think I would do: cream-colored sport coat, brown loafers, and a blue-and-white striped shirt. Blue pants and pink shirt read "city" to me; waxed suede chunky wingtips with a lug sole feel rustic. If I were doing blue pants and a pink shirt, I think the shoes and jacket should be similarly city-ish and casual.

A kink in this poll: I think chinos have different levels of formality. The rumpled, double-needle stitched chinos you find at J. Crew are very casual to me. Single needle chinos from Rota are basically like a cotton version of dress pants. I prefer non-oxfords with both, but as the pants get more casual, the incongruence becomes stronger to me.

Interesting that my dark brown country grain Boston loafers from C&J would usually be my first choice for the dark navy/pink combo, particularly this time of year. We, however, have to mix things up lest we stagnate and die. Besides, come January in Chicago, I'm not reaching for those loafers, so I want my waxed suede brogues properly broken in. Love your input; it's always appreciated. Cheers.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regards to the above. Today I'm prepping for my daughters birthday, setting up and baking. Dirty work. I'm wearing tan J crew chinos which I consider throwaway pants.

I have a pair of Collaro japanese cotton chinos in damn near the same color - no belt loops, pleated, 2" cuffs.

I wouldn't wear oxfords with either, but the later wouldn't be a grievous sin. Oxfords with the J Crew chinos would be a terrible look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads