• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairing oxford shoes with chinos

Is it acceptable to pair oxfords with chinos?

• Yes, anytime, anywhere.

Votes: 45 27.1%
  • Whenever you've got that "chino + oxfords" feeling.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • In a pinch (other pants at the cleaners, traveling, Halloween costume...)

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • No, except maaaybe in a life or death situation.

Votes: 55 33.1%

• Total voters

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How can a golden age encompass a great depression, a war, post war austerity and the swinging sixties?

You said you followed the "norms" of the golden era, then stated you followed 1950's uniform that hasn't changed. Everything has changed, are you really dressing up in Mad Men cosplay?

You’re being egregiously disingenuous and arguing in very bad faith — you can’t honestly expect me to engage with someone like you. You asked about what I wore to the office, which has not changed since the 1950s in London. Everyone in my office dresses the same way. I was not talking about what I wear outside of the office and I made that abundantly clear. There is no cosplay. Mad Men is set from 1960 to 1970 anyway, not the 1950s (not to mention the fact it is set in New York, not in London, so is irrelevant to this conversation). You should stick to stuff you actually know about.

Panama

Reaction score
You’re being egregiously disingenuous and arguing in very bad faith — you can’t honestly expect me to engage with someone like you. You asked about what I wore to the office, which has not changed since the 1950s in London. Everyone in my office dresses the same way. I was not talking about what I wear outside of the office and I made that abundantly clear. There is no cosplay. Mad Men is set from 1960 to 1970 anyway, not the 1950s (not to mention the fact it is set in New York, not in London, so is irrelevant to this conversation). You should stick to stuff you actually know about.
I have never asked what you wear to the office. Anyway you're just a fan boy of mr workwear with two modern cut Hugo Boss suits and loafers in his closet thinking he is following the alleged golden age of classic menswear...

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I have never asked what you wear to the office. Anyway you're just a fan boy of mr workwear with two modern cut Hugo Boss suits and loafers in his closet thinking he is following the alleged golden age of classic menswear...

is loathing really a DWW fanboy?
loathing seems to actually respect professional attire. DWW is the champion of Biz Caj Plus. They seem to contradict.

The only commonality is that Lothing Seems to like is the concept of rules for menswear, and that DWW is making up fake rules, so there is this rules bond. But the uniform that DWW is pushing on everybody doesn’t seem to be loathing’s thing

I don’t think loathing is wearing derbies and a country sports coat to the office.

Panama

Reaction score
is loathing really a DWW fanboy?
loathing seems to actually respect professional attire. DWW is the champion of Biz Caj Plus. They seem to contradict.

The only commonality is that Lothing Seems to like is the concept of rules for menswear, and that DWW is making up fake rules, so there is this rules bond. But the uniform that DWW is pushing on everybody doesn’t seem to be loathing’s thing

I don’t think loathing is wearing derbies and a country sports coat to the office.
His post:

It was the norm in what is often considered the golden age of menswear to wear certain combinations of clothing items, determined largely by the formality of the occasion and the seasons. These norms are documented in thousands of pictures in iconic magazines like Apparel Arts and early issues of Esquire, as well of thousands of photos, some of which were shared by DWW and feature on Voxsartoria’s website. There is a community of people today who admire those norms and think they still look good today, and that they look good partly because they form part of an coherent scheme of norms.

He endorses Mr Workwear's belief of a golden age of classic menwear from 1930 onwards excluding the 1970's, which is false. What classic menswear would you be wearing to the Savoy Grill in 1941?

He admires the "norms" of this alleged golden age and supports the use today. But virtually every "norm" of the age he doesn't follow.

No wearing of black tie to dinner, wearing of plus fours, wearing polyester.

He follow's a 1950's career uniform for his industry's sector which he wears with loafers!. Any photos of a 1950's cut suit with a bowler hat? He supports the use of Americana to support these "norms", then backtracks with but I live in Britain...

kayumochi

Reaction score
Actually, Tanner Guzy is a big proponent of following the rules in order to be liked by others (as pathetic as that is).
So yeah, don't push his questionable style on us. You can have him.

Tanner Guzy has created his own little cottage industry by dressing angry young white men while throwing them subtle QAnon tropes as red meat on Twitter.

LC7

Reaction score
As the OP, I have an update. It turns out that I've gotten derbies (in brown) instead of oxfords (cue deflated Squidward meme). The oxfords from Allen Edmonds I tried didn't fit right, so I went elsewhere. Part of the impetus behind my question was that I wanted to try Allen Edmonds, but they have a dearth of derbies in stock for some reason. It's mostly just oxfords. But I dress business casual, with things like chinos. So I wanted to know if there really was a clash or not. I suppose now everyone can sleep easy knowing that I have chosen the 'safe' option, albeit somewhat by necessity.

Also, instead of the charcoal chinos, I'm going to try olive instead (along with khaki, this color should work better with brown shoes, I think, and shouldn't fade in color as much as charcoal, which has bothered me the more I think of it).

That said, the Boyer pic and others still have me convinced that pairing oxfords with dressier chinos can be done. This is not because I am some sartorial antinomian (far from it; I aspire toward the golden age trad look and other things trad besides), but because everything is in balance. Chinos make an outfit more casual. Oxford shoes are sleek and formal in shape.

However, if the oxfords are brown, especially light brown, matte/pebble-grained/suede, have brogueing, and have rubber soles, especially chunkier ones, then I really can't fathom how the pairing could be seen as bad or verboten. Maybe not the most ideal? Perhaps, or perhaps not. But even if so, something not being the best can still be good and need not be bad. I think some here may be making the perfect the enemy of the good.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, instead of the charcoal chinos, I'm going to try olive instead (along with khaki, this color should work better with brown shoes, I think, and shouldn't fade in color as much as charcoal, which has bothered me the more I think of it).

i can’t think of a worse color for chinos than gray.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gray is so much better than olive. Gray is a great color for chinos, pairs well with so many things.
I have to disagree, at least for more casual or workwear chinos. I don’t tend to wear dressy chinos. Maybe when new, grey chinos can look okay. As they age and wear, I find that they look worse over time. More casually styled olive chinos tend to improve with age. YMMV of course

Leiker

Reaction score
I have to disagree, at least for more casual or workwear chinos. I don’t tend to wear dressy chinos. Maybe when new, grey chinos can look okay. As they age and wear, I find that they look worse over time. More casually styled olive chinos tend to improve with age. YMMV of course
That hasn't been my experience, but I do understand your point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads