• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairing oxford shoes with chinos

Is it acceptable to pair oxfords with chinos?

• Yes, anytime, anywhere.

Votes: 45 27.1%
  • Whenever you've got that "chino + oxfords" feeling.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • In a pinch (other pants at the cleaners, traveling, Halloween costume...)

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • No, except maaaybe in a life or death situation.

Votes: 55 33.1%

• Total voters

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
While there are certainly some chunky, ugly derbies out there, I can't tell if the repeated references to "orthopedic shoes" are a meme as well. There are lots of very attractive non-oxford shoes out there that you don't need a club foot to appreciate.

but let’s be real, derbies were made for people with bad feet or for people who were going to be walking a lot so when their feet swelled it wouldn’t hurt.

so while there may be some nice derbies out there these days (I do own some derbies), most are ugly orthopedic shoes that people with trained eyes don’t appreciate, and any rule saying that derbies or loafers are required if not wearing a suit is laughable insofar as loafers are loafers, for whatever that’s worth, and derbies tend to be ugly andgive the impression of foot problems (to those with a trained eye)

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but let’s be real, derbies were made for people with bad feet or for people who were going to be walking a lot so when their feet swelled it wouldn’t hurt.

so while there may be some nice derbies out there these days (I do own some derbies), most are ugly orthopedic shoes that people with trained eyes don’t appreciate, and any rule saying that derbies or loafers are required if not wearing a suit is laughable insofar as loafers are loafers, for whatever that’s worth, and derbies tend to be ugly andgive the impression of foot problems (to those with a trained eye)
This is absurd. Don’t understand the extremism here. Just as how many of us would agree that how the facings are constructed on a shoe is not the only determinant of formality, it is equally absurd to contend that the how the facings are sewn are sufficient to make a shoe an “orthopedic” shoe. And stop posting pictures of orthopedic shoes; it doesn’t support your argument.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
This is absurd. Don’t understand the extremism here. Just as how many of us would agree that how the facings are constructed on a shoe is not the only determinant of formality, it is equally absurd to contend that the how the facings are sewn are sufficient to make a shoe an “orthopedic” shoe. And stop posting pictures of orthopedic shoes; it doesn’t support your argument.

here you go;

ADA54563-63FF-4002-93F8-4B34A9192D43.jpeg
BA5D63A7-939F-4401-8732-1BE908B649DD.jpeg

If you are not wearing a suit, you must wear these shoes. It’s the rule.

And obviously I’m taking it a bit extreme, because the made up gentleman gazette’s like comments earlier were so absurd.

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
And stop posting pictures of orthopedic shoes; it doesn’t support your argument.

here you go;

The picture of the orthopedic shoe is… believe it or not, an orthopedic shoe, and thus - believe it or not, looks like an orthopedic shoe.

You’re sure you just haven’t trained your eyes wrongly?

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Yeah
The picture of the orthopedic shoe is… believe it or not, an orthopedic shoe, and thus - believe it or not, looks like an orthopedic shoe.

You’re sure you just haven’t trained your eyes wrongly?

Wow

perry mason over here...

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
The whole difference between that thread and this one can be explained with this quote:

I used to love this sockless Oxford/wingtip look in the summer with shorts. Those of us with trained eyes know this is a great look.

I did not chime in to discuss shorts with Oxfords and socks, as in the other thread and the posted picture above, I joined in to discuss the abomination that is shorts and ‘sockless in Oxfords’;

a film that tried to ride on the wave of ‘Sleepless in Seattle’, but missed the mark and became a cult horror classic.

Last edited:

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
The whole difference between that thread and this one can be explained with this quote:

I did not chime in to discuss shorts with Oxfords and socks, as in the other thread and the posted picture above, I joined in to discuss the abomination that is shorts and ‘sockless in Oxfords’;

a film that tried to be a PG-friendly romcom, but ended up becoming a horror.

oh if you are going to wear oxfords with shorts, you have to go sockless. Otherwise you will look silly.

have to treat them like loafers.

it makes sense when you think about it. Loafers are a nice slip on shoe, but the laces for the Oxford give them more support to be worn when loafers wouldn’t be as comfortable due to more walking.

I posted the footjoy leather sole wingtip classic golf shoe above. Those were frequently worn with shorts, probably why I was so comfortable with that style as a kid through college and such. (Although with the wingtip golf shoes I would wear no show socks, way too much walking for no socks at all)
The sneaker style golf shoe didn’t become mainstream until the later 1990’s. So I guess I was used to seeing dress style shoes with shorts as that’s what most people golfing at the club would be wearing.

DB28C74F-61BA-42B2-A8F2-8741404FE59A.jpeg

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank god I don’t play golf as I see a lot of men my age slowly start to confuse golf attire for casual wear. It’s a slippery and rather acute slope from wearing those shoes on the course to all of a sudden being inspired to remove the cleats as they are “pretty snazzy” to wear out.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Attended a Covid-delayed wedding reception in Ohio last night. Shoes were a mixed bag. Oldest generation (firmly in their 70s) knew how to dress and guys in suits had oxfords and those in sport coats generally wore loafers. My generation was a mixed bag. Suits with derby shoes or ugly square-toed things was common.

Younger folks were all over the map. My sport coat has a sheen to it and the pants are a silk-linen blend also with a sheen. Wore my C&J cap toe oxfords as they were highly shined (I spit-shined the heck out of the toes). Also discovered that I hadn’t worn this jacket in a bit and it needs to be let out a hair. Stupid pandemic.

F5B74B53-D7D5-4C37-BACC-6BF3B3540D6F.jpeg

rjc149

Reaction score
Chinos are a half-step above jeans. Any non-creased pant is inherently casual. Of course, chinos are can be dressed up to a certain extent, but I think oxford dress shoes and jackets are a stretch. If wearing oxfords and a jacket, the pants should be creased.

Black oxfords are strictly for suits.

Panama

Reaction score
Chinos are a half-step above jeans. Any non-creased pant is inherently casual. Of course, chinos are can be dressed up to a certain extent, but I think oxford dress shoes and jackets are a stretch. If wearing oxfords and a jacket, the pants should be creased.

Black oxfords are strictly for suits.
What shoes would you wear with black or charcoal cords?

rjc149

Reaction score
What shoes would you wear with black or charcoal cords?
Corduroy pants are for casual fall and winter outfits, which I would wear with brown boots or chukkas, if I owned a pair of corduroy pants.

I personally only wear black oxford dress shoes with business suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads