• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairing oxford shoes with chinos

Is it acceptable to pair oxfords with chinos?

• Yes, anytime, anywhere.

Votes: 45 27.3%
  • Whenever you've got that "chino + oxfords" feeling.

Votes: 29 17.6%
  • In a pinch (other pants at the cleaners, traveling, Halloween costume...)

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • No, except maaaybe in a life or death situation.

Votes: 55 33.3%

• Total voters

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So then why ask me whether a suit sleeve needs to be pressed?

He's been wearing tailor for over 20 years and apparently trashing them:

(I would go through suits, never worried about them lasting)

Maybe he just had servants to figure out the pressing? Or he was buying such crap that maintenance cost more than new clothing?

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
So then why ask me whether a suit needs to be pressed?

you know clothing maintenance and construction.

however your examples of actual quality of some of these looks have proven to be less than impressive, and yourbelief that your preference is law comes off as arrogant.

I do appreciate how you did provide details/photos. That was constructive. And it actually showed that your premise wasn’t really correct, as many examples you liked were poor and ones you didn’t like were nice.

I do think your comments where you claim to have a trained eye or that people eventually evolve to your preferences or that your preferences are somehow rules are off putting (or should I say strident?).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you know clothing maintenance and construction.

however your examples of actual quality of some of these looks have proven to be less than impressive, and yourbelief that your preference is law comes off as insecure and arrogant.

I do appreciate how you did provide details. That was constructive.

I do think your comments where you claim to have a trained eye or that people eventually evolve to your preferences or that your preferences are somehow rules are off putting (or should I say strident?).

Sounds like I'll leave it to you to figure out in the future.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Sounds like I'll leave it to you to figure out in the future.

or maybe in the future don’t make up rules that mirror your preference, and when people call out those preferences as maybe not being for everyone just accuse everyone of having untrained eyes?

both of us (and vadilus) probably could have handled ourselves more maturely the past 24 hours in this discussion. Oh well, it’s a message board. I’m willling to apologize for my part in the denegrated conversation.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yawn... East Coast just waking up here. Man, you guys were going at it! I looked in my closet and realized I have no Derby's. Oxfords, cap toe and brogue, loafers and boots. Huh.

In normal times I'm in CM five days a week and didn't have much use for a Derby, especially after getting bitten by the loafer bug.

Last edited:

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Yawn... East Coast just waking up here. Man, you guys were going at it! I looked in my closet and realized I have no Derby's. Oxfords, cap toe and brogue, loafers and boots. Huh.

In normal times I'm in CM five days a week and didn't have much use for a Derby, especially after getting bitten by the loafer bug.

one thing we learned from this thread:
Derbies kind of suck

a split toe derby can look nice, but most derbies look far too bulky and tend towards work boot moreso than stylish. Us with trained eyes can see that. Others will eventually evolve to realize this.

anyway, another thing this thread has shown is how well oxfords work with non-suit attire. Simon Crompton owns this look. Is he a masterful Picasso breaking the rules? Ha, no, there is no rule against this look. It is actually a much better look than what a clunky boot like derby would provide.
8AEFEBD8-33D1-4A34-BD2A-50B45B379823.jpeg

#burnyourderbies
#tosstheorthopedicshoes

8F5B8E95-298C-4468-9D5C-0C321757D2FD.jpeg

DC009CE5-213A-4C1D-A3E4-75A67FBD5BC6.jpeg

06C76EFF-A67F-4A67-B69B-5681ABD9D836.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one thing we learned from this thread:
Derbies kind of suck

a split toe derby can look nice, but most derbies look far too bulky and tend towards work boot moreso than stylish. Us with trained eyes can see that. Others will eventually evolve to realize this.

anyway, another thing this thread has shown is how well oxfords work with non-suit attire. Simon Crompton owns this look. Is he a masterful Picasso breaking the rules? Ha, no, there is no rule against this look. It is actually a much better look than what a clunky boot like derby would provide.
View attachment 1609120

#burnyourderbies
#tosstheorthopedicshoes

View attachment 1609119

View attachment 1609121
View attachment 1609122
I wear oxfords with sport coat ensembles but only wear the cleaner, cap toes with navy jacket, grey pants. Brogues go with everything.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I wear oxfords with sport coat ensembles but only wear the cleaner, cap toes with navy jacket, grey pants. Brogues go with everything.

You are like Picasso!

(If you don’t get the joke, it’s buried a few pages back. DWW’s minion said that we need to learn DWW’s made up rules so that we can learn how to break them, and he quoted Picasso)

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I pointed out before. I misattributed that page. Its Roetzel. And even he is pointing out an exception to the case in which full brogued oxfords can be appropriately used with specific English countrified attire (cords and moleskin). I don't think almost anyone on this forum owns any moleskin; probably almost no one outside the US. I own one pair of moleskin pants and I'm probably an alien as an American.

You are not the lone American with moleskin trousers. There are two of us.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DWW’s minion said that we need to learn DWW’s made up rules

The internet is wild. Here im his minion and 36 hours ago on a different thread im his troll.

This is the level of analysis to be expected from someone who thinks "derbies kind of suck."

By your thread of logic I should call you "Simon."

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a year without buying any shoes, quite unexpectedly I got my first pair of Tricker's. Is there a better way to start this journey than a pair of Bourton in acorn?

View attachment 1609135

I went for a first walk yesterday, they feel like absolute tanks, might take a while to break them in!
i know it's not oxfords, but this falls into the conversation with the color and jeans, thought the collective here would like this.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
i know it's not oxfords, but this falls into the conversation with the color and jeans, thought the collective here would like this.

that’s nice. The derby can be such an informal shoe, really not the best option with a smart business look (sports coat style), but it really works well here with the jeans!

the color is a bit bold. Some might not like the way the shoes are the star of the show. But hey, with jeans we aren’t really talking about trying to look like some guy from 1935, so I say go for it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads