• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairing oxford shoes with chinos

Is it acceptable to pair oxfords with chinos?

• Yes, anytime, anywhere.

Votes: 45 27.1%
  • Whenever you've got that "chino + oxfords" feeling.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • In a pinch (other pants at the cleaners, traveling, Halloween costume...)

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • No, except maaaybe in a life or death situation.

Votes: 55 33.1%

• Total voters

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 9.57.40 PM.png

apShepard

Reaction score
My impression is that people naturally like the last photo when they're new to tailored clothing. And, over time, they learn to dress in a more subtle and casual way.
You're right. Nothing can take a chiselled last like an Oxford.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Good lord.

good lord what?

when would this outfit ever be a good look?

this is exactly the look of somebody who is trying to dress up for church on Sunday but is not really comfortable doing so.
this is one of the worst looks I have seen in this entire thread. I can’t really think of many situations when it would look good.

but again, not so much because of the shoes. The whole look just looks so lazy. Like somebody who is just getting into tailored clothing but thinks it’s cool not to wear a full suit, so they are trying to pull off the near suit look but failing miserably.

throw the rules out, let’s just talk whether it looks good or not. This looks bad.

this is amateur hour

68C08634-2F85-447C-A3F3-DF9C2534A247.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
10 years after I joined this forum

- Will is taking hits from a bong
- Foo is wearing a Patagonia vest
- Manton worked for a reality TV star turned President
- Someone calls Iammatt's outfit one of the "worst he's seen"

I wonder what the next ten years will bring.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9:45 -
What is it? It’s not a work outfit. It’s not really a nice outfit for a more formal tie wearing function.
it’s lazy. It’s like trying to look nice but being too bothered to actually act like one cares.
this has that forced “trying to dress up for church” look that you referenced earlier.
mom sure there could be situations where this could work, but I’m not aware of many.

10:52 -

this is exactly the look of somebody who is trying to dress up for church on Sunday but is not really comfortable doing so.
this is one of the worst looks I have seen in this entire thread. I can’t really think of many situations when it would look good.

but again, not so much because of the shoes. The whole look just looks so lazy. Like somebody who is just getting into tailored clothing but thinks it’s cool not to wear a full suit, so they are trying to pull off the near suit look but failing miserably.

Repeating the same comments ad nauseum that no one wants to engage with, let alone agree with, is just borning.

Calling that outfit "amateur hour" is honestly risible.

It is a well cut jacket with a nice lapel line and well balanced accessories.

I know you hate rules, but if there is one rule much of the forum would agree with it would be "Fit is the most important aspect of style."

The photo quality leaves something to be desired.

And if I were going to critique it, the quarters seem to be a bit open perhaps.

The outfit won't be the Pride of Pitti, if thats what you mean by "amateur hour."

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 years after I joined this forum

- Will is taking hits from a bong
- Foo is wearing a Patagonia vest
- Manton worked for a reality TV star turned President
- Someone calls Iammatt's outfit one of the "worst he's seen"

I wonder what the next ten years will bring.

Oh god...I forgot the "Who Still Wears a Suit to Work" thread. In which he also said he no longer wears ties with odd jackets. His reasoning wasn't terrible, though I still disagree w/ the outcome.

#SQUADGOALS!

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
9:45 -

10:52 -

Repeating the same comments ad nauseum that no one wants to engage with, let alone agree with, is just borning.

Calling that outfit "amateur hour" is honestly risible.

It is a well cut jacket with a nice lapel line and well balanced accessories.

I know you hate rules, but if there is one rule much of the forum would agree with it would be "Fit is the most important aspect of style."

The photo quality leaves something to be desired.

And if I were going to critique it, the quarters seem to be a bit open perhaps.

The outfit won't be the Pride of Pitti, if thats what you mean by "amateur hour."

I actually don’t believe In The comment amateur hour.
that was a tongue in cheek comment making fun of DWW with his belief that he has somehow evolved into a sartorial force and others will slowly evolve toward his taste. That does look like a beginner outfit, so for him to praise it was funny.

that said, that is by far the worst outfit posted in this thread (besides the whole comedy posts DWW out up earlier). I can think of few places where that would actually work. It’s too lazy looking for a professional environment, but the tie makes it too formal for asmart casual social environment.

it looks like somebody had to get dressed up for a family holiday party and that’s what they could muster up.

it’s terrible

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think your whole read on that outfit is wrong. I think you just choose the one w/ the worst photo quality and teed off.

You have called it "lazy," as your prime justification for it being bad. How is it lazy?
It is well cut and well fit.
The colors complement each other.
Its stylistically coherent - piece to piece.
Its not loud and brash.

that said, that is by far the worst outfit posted in this thread (besides the whole comedy posts DWW out up earlier)

You think its worse than
pitti-1140x675-jpg-qwx49onf-2021-04-16.jpg ??

That's just insane.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I actually don’t believe In The comment amateur hour.
that was a tongue in cheek comment making fun of DWW with his belief that he has somehow evolved into a sartorial force and others will slowly evolve toward his taste. That does look like a beginner outfit, so for him to praise it was funny.

that said, that is by far the worst outfit posted in this thread (besides the whole comedy posts DWW out up earlier). I can think of few places where that would actually work. It’s too lazy looking for a professional environment, but the tie makes it too formal for asmart casual social environment.

it looks like somebody had to get dressed up for a family holiday party and that’s what they could muster up.

it’s terrible

Prior to the pandemic, I wore sport coats to my office all the time.

I'm sure you're a nice person in other regards, and it seems we share a love for animals. But in many threads, you are very overconfident and strident. I didn't mean any offense when I said you seem new to tailoring. I only said that because in many threads, you ask basic questions, such as how does one get a suit professionally pressed and whether suits can be in the rain.

There's little incentive to answer your questions when you act like a jerk, tbh. Yesterday, when you asked for help regarding what to buy at Ralph Lauren, I took the time to comb through the site and give suggestions. When you asked about suit pressing, I dug up some photos to show how a coat is shaped. So on and so forth. It doesn't mean that there can't be some friendly debate. But I woke up today at 8am to a very strident message from you and it's now continued for over 24 hours since your first message from yesterday.

Matt's tailoring looks great and I think you have an untrained eye.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I think your whole read on that outfit is wrong. I think you just choose the one w/ the worst photo quality and teed off.

You have called it "lazy," as your prime justification for it being bad. How is it lazy?
It is well cut and well fit.
The colors complement each other.
Its stylistically coherent - piece to piece.
Its not loud and brash.

You think its worse than
View attachment 1609087 ??

That's just insane.

I thought I did a pretty good job explaining how it was a lazy outfit.

and first, I have been plenty complimentary of other outfits with derbies. I actually said I agree the split toe derby looks great. So I’m not looking at teeing off.

and that one actually caught my eye later, which was why I had the second post on it. But when I saw it I laughed out loud. If that’s inspirational to somebody, they need a new hobby. That outfit is so bad.

when would that outfit ever be appropriate?
It’s not an outfit one would wear in a professional setting.
it doesn’t work for a more casual social setting when a sports coat look might work.
it looks like something that somebody threw together for a holiday party but they didn’t really out much thought into it and they failed.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I did a pretty good job explaining how it was a lazy outfit.

and first, I have been plenty complimentary of other outfits with derbies. I actually said I agree the split toe derby looks great. So I’m not looking at teeing off.

and that one actually caught my eye later, which was why I had the second post on it. But when I saw it I laughed out loud. If that’s inspirational to somebody, they need a new hobby. That outfit is so bad.

when would that outfit ever be appropriate?
It’s not an outfit one would wear in a professional setting.
it doesn’t work for a more casual social setting when a sports coat look might work.
it looks like something that somebody threw together for a holiday party but they didn’t really out much thought into it and they failed.

Except you don't explain anything. You don't actually comment on the outfit. You make sweeping statements that as DWW put it, make you look like you have an "untrained eye".

Putting forth broad statements with no justification is not "explaining". I have bolded above examples.

Or Below:
good lord what?

when would this outfit ever be a good look?

this is exactly the look of somebody who is trying to dress up for church on Sunday but is not really comfortable doing so. this is one of the worst looks I have seen in this entire thread. I can’t really think of many situations when it would look good.

throw the rules out, let’s just talk whether it looks good or not. This looks bad.

this is amateur hour

Just a bunch of ... dare I say... lazy commentary that doesn't address the actual outfit in any particular way.

You might, for example, discuss:
Points of Fit
Points of Cut
Styling points on the jacket
Color coordination

Those are some starting points for things that might actually make for a conversation rather than you yelling your half formed opinions.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Prior to the pandemic, I wore sport coats to my office all the time.

I'm sure you're a nice person in other regards, and it seems we share a love for animals. But in many threads, you are very overconfident and strident. I didn't mean any offense when I said you seem new to tailoring. I only said that because in many threads, you ask basic questions, such as how does one get a suit professionally pressed and whether suits can be in the rain.

There's little incentive to answer your questions when you act like a jerk, tbh. Yesterday, when you asked for help regarding what to buy at Ralph Lauren, I took the time to comb through the site and give suggestions. When you asked about suit pressing, I dug up some photos to show how a coat is shaped. So on and so forth. It doesn't mean that there can't be some friendly debate. But I woke up today at 8am to a very strident message from you and it's now continued for over 24 hours since your first message from yesterday.

Matt's tailoring looks great and I think you have an untrained eye.

I have been wearing tailored clothing for decades. I recently started paying more attention to the construction and things of that nature (as opposed to just got to the store, buy whatever and just go to the tailor). That doesn’t mean an untrained eye, that means I usually just went with what looked good and didn’t pay too much attention to the construction or even care details (I would go through suits, never worried about them lasting)

but in terms of just saying “untrained eye”, sorry but if you think that prince Phillips orthopedic shoe photo is good, or that iammatt photo is a good look, well those in glass houses... those photos were terrible.

you are talking strident? You made up some Bs rule, I was shocked to read that somebody who holds themself Out as knowing this subject would just make some rule up like that (yes, it is a made up rule, even if you didn’t make it up).
then you proceeded to post photos where oxfords look better than derbies, but claim you just have a trained eye?

that is nonsense.

you have a certain preference that your daily wear leads you to prefer. That’s fine. But that doesn’t mean you have a more trained eye or that your preference is a rule and that no other preference is acceptable. That’s arrogant on your part, and shows that you actually don’t have a trained eye but rather you think everyone should be in a look you prefer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads