• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairing oxford shoes with chinos

Is it acceptable to pair oxfords with chinos?

• Yes, anytime, anywhere.

Votes: 45 27.1%
  • Whenever you've got that "chino + oxfords" feeling.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • In a pinch (other pants at the cleaners, traveling, Halloween costume...)

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • No, except maaaybe in a life or death situation.

Votes: 55 33.1%

• Total voters

LC7

Reaction score
I have some Lands' End pleated chinos in charcoal and khaki colors, which fit me the best and seem dressier than other chinos. I'm wondering if I could wear black and brown A-E Strands with them respectively (specifically the weatherproof models).

I would be wearing OCBD, sport coat, and tie three seasons, and linen/cotton blend dress shirts in the summer with them. I've seen conflicting opinions on this online so far, so thought I'd ask here myself.

Panama

Reaction score
I have some Lands' End pleated chinos in charcoal and khaki colors, which fit me the best and seem dressier than other chinos. I'm wondering if I could wear black and brown A-E Strands with them respectively (specifically the weatherproof models).

I would be wearing OCBD, sport coat, and tie three seasons, and linen/cotton blend dress shirts in the summer with them. I've seen conflicting opinions on this online so far, so thought I'd ask here myself.
Go for it!

LC7

Reaction score
Post some photos.
Well, here are the pants in question, and the model in the charcoal colorway is wearing pretty much exactly what I have in mind for that color (change the shirt to blue for the khaki), only I want to add a sport coat and tie. Right now, I have cheap Clarks derbies instead of the loafers you see in the pics.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion. Some people feel more strongly about this than others.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oxfords are only for suits, IMO.

Some here have made the case that some very specific oxfords (e.g. brown suede ones with broguing) can be worn with very formal sport coat outfits (e.g. navy sport coats with grey trousers, white shirt, black grenadine, etc). I disagree, but that combo is less bad to me than oxfords with chinos.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The strand is definitely a less formal shoe. Nothing whatsoever wrong with wearing a strand with khakis. Brown works great whith khaki. If you don't already have the black, I would suggest oxblood if they still have it for the grey. It will look great (I have them myself). I get quite a few compliments on my oxblood and walnut strands - and 99% of the time I'm not wearing a suit with them. Black will work with grey but I like oxblood over it with anything but black pants.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This combo makes sense to me:

12940304_1703910179881098_1191304820_n.jpg
strand-6105-darkbrown-pair-web.jpeg

Casual suit + casual oxfords.

But without a tailored jacket, these sorts of combos just look very "shoe guy" thread. Or "guy wearing chinos + v-neck sweater and wants to look nice for Sunday church/ wife/ business office." Feels very ?

1000.jpg

Personally wouldn't recommend wearing charcoal chinos, esp in a CM style outfit. Or even navy chinos.

But with tan chinos + sport coat + blue OCBD, I would choose a more classic option: black tassel loafers, brown penny loafers, or brown derbies. Aim for a more coherent outfit.

Think of what shoes would be worn here:

Screen-Shot-2018-10-07-at-1.18.40-PM.jpg
8a02c842220c08da2464e26d0556305c.jpeg
tumblr_inline_pekc9zNzpd1qfex1b_540.jpeg
FullSizeRender_34.jpeg
MG_2717_1024x1024.jpeg

LC7

Reaction score
The strand is definitely a less formal shoe. Nothing whatsoever wrong with wearing a strand with khakis. Brown works great whith khaki. If you don't already have the black, I would suggest oxblood if they still have it for the grey. It will look great (I have them myself). I get quite a few compliments on my oxblood and walnut strands - and 99% of the time I'm not wearing a suit with them. Black will work with grey but I like oxblood over it with anything but black pants.
Thanks for the reply. This was similar to my thinking. I wouldn't have batted an eye about this a week ago, but I saw the sentiment against this pairing, which gave me pause, although I have yet to fully comprehend those who have an issue with it (outside of staying away from captoe oxfords, which I do think clash).

LC7

Reaction score
As much as DWW knows I like to disagree with him about footwear, I agree with him here.

Wear a loafer or a derby with chinos.
I've actually tried about a half dozen loafers over the last couple of months but am sick of doing returns. I haven't found one that fits right, is priced right, or doesn't make my feet look tiny and therefore screw up the balance with the rest of my outfit (I'm rather tall and thin).

Derbies would make sense, obviously, but I'm not really seeing any at A-E's price point or from A-E itself (their classic styles are largely out of stock right now for some reason, and none are weatherproof, which I would prefer).

LC7

Reaction score
Casual suit + casual oxfords.
I'm not entirely tracking you here. A casual suit could be made of cotton or even linen, in which case the suit pants would be either roughly identical to or even less formal than a chino pant, no? Is it the matching jacket that makes the difference, and if so, what about that makes oxfords better? The guy in your top pick kind of looks like he's wearing a cotton twill, which is what chinos are made of.

I don't care for navy chinos, but why not the charcoal ones I linked?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads