• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairing oxford shoes with chinos

Is it acceptable to pair oxfords with chinos?

• Yes, anytime, anywhere.

Votes: 45 27.3%
  • Whenever you've got that "chino + oxfords" feeling.

Votes: 29 17.6%
  • In a pinch (other pants at the cleaners, traveling, Halloween costume...)

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • No, except maaaybe in a life or death situation.

Votes: 55 33.3%

• Total voters

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A bespoke suit for California is a bit of overkill isn't it or do you attend the Oscars?

I live in California. All my tailored clothing is bespoke, and now some of my shoes. Things are more casual here, but if you like and wear tailored clothing, then bespoke can be an enjoyable process and, sometimes, better than RTW.

Panama

Reaction score
I live in California. All my tailored clothing is bespoke, and now some of my shoes. Things are more casual here, but if you like and wear tailored clothing, then bespoke can be an enjoyable process and, sometimes, better than RTW.
Where do you get your bespoke made? Is Quintino still going?

adrianvo

Reaction score
Maybe you're a really nice person in real life. I don't know. But you're super obnoxious online.
That's awfully rich coming from you, but I won't hold your lack of self-awareness against you.
I,on the contrary, think you're equally boring and uninteresting online as you are in real life.
It's pretty obvious that you just discovered tailored clothing. Your combinations and stylistic choices show that. Which is fine, everyone starts somewhere. But no one on here watches YouTube vloggers; this is your own hang-up because you watch the videos, as you just discovered this subject.
What an awe-inspiring amount of projecting in a single paragraph.

This is probably the most infantile I've seen you in a while:
"I've been on this forum longer than you!!!", "I found tailored clothing first!!!", "My clothes are better than yours!!!!"
tenor.gif

Riiiiight. Moving on.

Instead of screaming at people on here about ideas you just learned yesterday, I suggest you be more open-minded to the idea that many people here know a lot more than you.
Oh my, your projections and temper tantrums are very entertaining.

By "many people", you clearly imply yourself.
I'm open to the idea of learning things from others, but I won't take style advice from someone who suffers from pattern-phobia - as well as always choosing the safest options so you can avoid critique. You reek of insecurity.

Perhaps your own advice to others is better suited for yourself. *Yawn*

3d263dd66d9580e2ba8d5b28d5853986.gif

Oh lawd. How can non-bespoke peasants even compare?

No, these are reasons you have given to justify ignoring the "rule", not actual explanations of why you think the rule is wrong, or photos of what you think is right (such as @dieworkwear has provided).
They are principles that explain why I think it's silly to be a style rule absolutist. Plenty of examples exist and have already been provided in this thread of how and where oxfords can be used with chinos.

Since you insist:
I think brown oxfords (suede, grain, calf, or even a mix) can work well with chinos - without a doubt. Especially brogues.

Once again this is you projecting your own (perceived?) inadequacies onto me.
Huh?
Perhaps you should read the definition of certain words like "iconoclasm" before using it.
I'm getting the feeling you enjoy throwing around words that make you feel powerful, but I advice you to only use them if it makes sense. Understanding them should be a minimum.
You are calling me a YouTube igent for thinking this "rule" is generally correct. I can only assume that's because you have gleaned the majority of your "information" from that source.
No, but I won't rule out that you are. I don't watch any style-related YouTube-channels. I find them consistently bad and just a way to push ads through clickbait.

Style rules were popularized and presented as absolutes through those channels in recent years, and I'm calling them out for what they are - misguiding and unnecessary. If you choose to adhere to them, feel free, but I see them more as unneeded limitations rather than holy scripture. Rules CAN be broken if it looks good, it's really that simple.

I don't see the connection between how long you've been on SF, and how long you've been into clothes. I also don't see how the mention of when your first bespoke suit was made is relevant.
Are you trying to brag and drag me into a discussion of who has been into tailored clothing for the longest time?

By the way, DWW probably gets an ego trip from your brown-nosing.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where do you get your bespoke made? Is Quintino still going?

I use traveling tailors from London, Hong Kong, Naples, and Sicily. London tailors include Anderon & Sheppard and Steed. Neapolitan is NSM and Solito. Sicilian is I Sarti. Hong Kong is Ascot Chang. Also use a local San Francisco bespoke tailor for trousers. Have used two London shoemakers: Templeman and Cleverley.

Don't know who or what is Quintino.

Panama

Reaction score
I use traveling tailors from London, Hong Kong, Naples, and Sicily. London tailors include Anderon & Sheppard and Steed. Neapolitan is NSM and Solito. Sicilian is I Sarti. Hong Kong is Ascot Chang. Also use a local San Francisco bespoke tailor for trousers. Have used two London shoemakers: Templeman and Cleverley.

Don't know who or what is Quintino.
Quintino of Beverley Hills who created the suits of Cary Grant for North by North West...

North-By-Northwest-2.jpg

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oxfords are only for suits, IMO.

Some here have made the case that some very specific oxfords (e.g. brown suede ones with broguing) can be worn with very formal sport coat outfits (e.g. navy sport coats with grey trousers, white shirt, black grenadine, etc). I disagree, but that combo is less bad to me than oxfords with chinos.
What about light brown oxfords with Khakis? since light brown is a more casual color.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What about light brown oxfords with Khakis? since light brown is a more casual color.

I think oxfords are only for suits.

To me, the demarcating line is oxford (meaning, the design of the facings). It doesn't matter to me the color, broguing, sole construction, etc. I think of oxfords as a formal shoe.

If someone is wearing a sport coat, then I think they do better in derbies, chukkas, or loafers.

As you make this outfit more casual (e.g. no jacket or swapping pants from wool to cotton), then I think there's an even stronger case to choose more casual.

For one, I think the outfit looks more coherent.

Secondly, I have bad associations with guys who wear oxfords in non-suit get-ups. Again, just reminds me of a lot of bad business casual or "church" type looks (not that it's about church, but there's a certain uniform many men wear nowadays when they want to "look nice" but don't have any particular interest in clothes. It's often chinos (a "step up" from their usual jeans), dress shirt (step up from their t-shirts), v-neck sweater (seemingly a step up from crewnecks), and oxfords (their "nice shoes"). Just looks bad to me, and I think most guys can do better in other outfits.

Thirdly, I think tailoring always looks better when it's casual, sporty, easygoing, etc. The one exception is a very formal rig, like black tie, or very formal suits, such as grey and navy worsted with black oxfords. But otherwise, I like when sport coat ensembles look easygoing and carefree. Recently been into whipcord trousers because I think they're more casual and sporty than flannels.

Example, this is flannel:

tumblr_inline_pjqwwfWMhX1qfex1b_540.jpg

The ribbed, darker brown pair of trousers here is whipcord

tumblr_inline_pjp6km1ioo1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pjp6kxBiHa1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pjp6kqsrka1qfex1b_540.jpg

So instead of choosing an oxford with that kind of causal tailoring (e.g. not a suit), I also think the entire outfit looks better when the shoes are similarly casual. So it looks like these are your normal clothes and not your "dressed up" clothes.

As posted earlier: I think sport coat outfits look better with black tassel loafer, brown pennys, suede chukkas, split toes, etc.

Imagine the above pants with these coats

tumblr_inline_p18vbjGRAm1qfex1b_540.jpeg

And these sportier, more casual shoes:

DSCF6278-1.jpg
atn1024_eg piccadilly 2.jpg
60fd05e7645a923513000aa2dcddf7be.jpeg
MG_2703_1024x1024.jpeg

To me, that's more coherent, stylish, and cooler than this choice:

da663a8d-b140-4623-93f1-c9c5ea466740.jpeg

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are principles that explain why I think it's silly to be a style rule absolutist. Plenty of examples exist and have already been provided in this thread of how and where oxfords can be used with chinos.

Since you insist:
I think brown oxfords (suede, grain, calf, or even a mix) can work well with chinos - without a doubt. Especially brogues.

@apShepard above has done what you haven't. (Though the first example I think looks pretty bad).

I think suede, or grain in brown can look ok-ish. But I think a derby is going to look better pretty much all of the time.

What would be your argument, besides "Break the rules!" for choosing an oxford over a derby w/ chinos?

Huh?
Perhaps you should read the definition of certain words like "iconoclasm" before using it.
I'm getting the feeling you enjoy throwing around words that make you feel powerful, but I advice you to only use them if it makes sense. Understanding them should be a minimum.

Considering your argument has been heavily centered around rule breaking for its own sake without regard to the actual merits of the rule itself, please explain to me how iconoclasm is not descriptive? I guess I could have gone with "Edgelord"?

I don't see the connection between how long you've been on SF, and how long you've been into clothes. I also don't see how the mention of when your first bespoke suit was made is relevant.
Are you trying to brag and drag me into a discussion of who has been into tailored clothing for the longest time?

I'm giving you a reference point. You have asserted that I have gotten my ideas about style from Youtube. I'm explaining to you how that is false.

By the way, DWW probably gets an ego trip from your brown-nosing.

I doubt DWW thinks I'm trying to ego boost him. I disagree w/ him fairly often. He and I got into a like...10 page argument about Blundstone boots.

Just because I disagree w/ him often doesn't mean I'm going to disagree w/ him when I think he's right. And in this case, I think he's right.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bespoke suit for California is a bit of overkill isn't it or do you attend the Oscars?

I'm not really in entertainment. I had my first bespoke suit made to be a groomsman in a wedding, and after that I just fell in love w/ the hobby.

I also played rugby and football in HS/College, and have a large drop. Makes it very very hard to buy of the rack.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm pretty unexperienced with tailoring but I've seen people wear casual oxfords with sportcoat combinations and nothing looked off to me. I have some images saved on my computer. View attachment 1578766 View attachment 1578767 View attachment 1578765 View attachment 1578764

Bruce always looks great to me. So no argument from me there. Some guys transcend the "rules." So long as they look good, I think it's fine. Notably, he's at least wearing a sport coat in that photo.

This below does not look good to me. I see this everywhere in the city and really dislike the look. To me, this is why the business casual is so terrible. This semi-professional look doesn't work without a tailored jacket.

19893h.png

I think these shoes are too bright for the outfit. Would be better in a darker color, so as to not draw the eye downward. Again, also feel that most men don't have the wardrobe to support tan shoes. Additionally, I think this guy would look better in the semi-casual choices I mentioned above

W2sTQCs.jpeg

Will try to find some other photos to compare the above outfit to similar outfits, but with better shoes. Will post later.

apShepard

Reaction score
Fair enough.I think the "these are not my dress up" cloths makes a lot more sense. I have some questions. What do I do if I like the chinos + button down? Is there no way to make them look good? I should note that I'm an non-religious and don't go to church and I also live in eastern Europe. Here people that go to church go in baggy pleated trousers, baggy dress shirts and cheap black shoes. Button-downs in general are pretty rare.

Also do I sell my suede oxfords now? What makes Bruce able to "pull it of"?

Panama

Reaction score
@apShepard above has done what you haven't. (Though the first example I think looks pretty bad).

I think suede, or grain in brown can look ok-ish. But I think a derby is going to look better pretty much all of the time.

What would be your argument, besides "Break the rules!" for choosing an oxford over a derby w/ chinos?

Considering your argument has been heavily centered around rule breaking for its own sake without regard to the actual merits of the rule itself, please explain to me how iconoclasm is not descriptive? I guess I could have gone with "Edgelord"?

I'm giving you a reference point. You have asserted that I have gotten my ideas about style from Youtube. I'm explaining to you how that is false.

I doubt DWW thinks I'm trying to ego boost him. I disagree w/ him fairly often. He and I got into a like...10 page argument about Blundstone boots.

Just because I disagree w/ him often doesn't mean I'm going to disagree w/ him when I think he's right. And in this case, I think he's right.
What rules? There is no Escoffier of clothing....

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fair enough.I think the "these are not my dress up" cloths makes a lot more sense. I have some questions. What do I do if I like the chinos + button down? Is there no way to make them look good? I should note that I'm an non-religious and don't go to church and I also live in eastern Europe. Here people that go to church go in baggy pleated trousers, baggy dress shirts and cheap black shoes. Button-downs in general are pretty rare.

I think chinos and button downs can be fine. I just think they look better with a tailored jacket, meaning a sport coat.

If you don't want to wear the sport coat, then I think you'd do better in other kinds of casualwear.

I can't speak to what life is like in Eastern Europe. I lived in Moscow, Russia for a while and can see how some styles aren't appropriate in some cities. But I think if you ditch the sport coat, then it's worth just pursuing non-classic-menswear aesthetics. IMO, classic men's style revolves around the tailored jacket (some exceptions, such as Barbours with Shetland sweaters, etc). I just think life becomes easier when you explore other aesthetics. Again, I think the reason why business casual is so bad is that we have not found a professional replacement for the tailored jacket.

Also do I sell my suede oxfords now? What makes Bruce able to "pull it of"?

I don't know. Some guys can pull certain things off; some can not. Style is also about more than clothes. I find Bruce to be stylish partly because of his personality, interests, knowledge in certain subjects, manner of speaking, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads