• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Pairing oxford shoes with chinos

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bluchers/derbies run the range in terms of formality and would work just fine with a sport coat.

Why am I getting the feeling that this thread is like a car stuck in 3rd gear due to a failed clutch?

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Bluchers/derbies run the range in terms of formality and would work just fine with a sport coat.

Why am I getting the feeling that this thread is like a car stuck in 3rd gear due to a failed clutch?
I would agree, if you are really looking to dress down the sports coat in a somewhat smarter biz caj setting. Not really a fan of biz caj, so I’m not really a fan of derbies with sports coats. Really dresses down the outfit, it’s not all that smart a look.

but certainly no rule against biz caj these days.

adrianvo

Reaction score
At the very least, I think these things allow an outfit to date better. Men who are constantly strident about "not caring about the rules" often look like this

View attachment 1609047
Actually, Tanner Guzy is a big proponent of following the rules in order to be liked by others (as pathetic as that is).
So yeah, don't push his questionable style on us. You can have him.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your reading skills are poor and comprehension level low.
ah yes! Always the class act.
Why don’t you write one of your long winded dissertations and try to sneak into it just what you mean.
I may disagree with you at times, but at least I don’t call you names.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
ah yes! Always the class act.
Why don’t you write one of your long winded dissertations and try to sneak into it just what you mean.
I may disagree with you at times, but at least I don’t call you names.
It's literally in the passage you quoted.

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 4.05.15 PM.png

I never said that men who wear oxfords outside of suits end up looking like Tanner.

I said guys who are strident about not caring about the rules end up looking like Tanner.

As proof, @adrianvo just posted this photo below in the Suitsupply thread as something to aspire to. This is basically the same as looking like Tanner

5fb6572d50183a564801d1e3_Renato-Plutino-and-Hugo-Jacomet.jpg

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
So I didn’t know this, but Dieworkeewr is actually a rules blogger. We were joking about him trying to be a gentleman’s gazette, but it appears he actually is.

whatever, to each their own.
but his cause seems to be the champion of formal informality. The uptick of business casual 20 years after biz caj swept the nation. The sports coat dressed down with casual shoes, trying to keep it informal while still presenting some aura of formality. Oxfords are too formal for the look he endorses (but younger guys wear white gun socks with their leather shoes is ok).

to each their own. Not really a bad look, but not exactly all inclusive of the world of classical menswear (so not sure why he thinks his made up rules are gospel when he’s really championing one unique look).

but what I didn’t realize is he actually has stake in this conversation. I don’t, I was just thrown aback to see him so strident about some rule he had made up. But apparently it’s part of the cause he is championing, so he’s made himself a true believer.

but yeah, he is all in on this “rule”. Actually compares it to “no brown in town” but says it’s still the one rule he thinks should be followed (even if it doesn’t look as nice).
D3E444E8-8679-43E2-99F5-CFFFF0AC6DE8.jpeg

5FB4D5E4-52E8-482F-86C9-9B5D269EA1A9.jpeg

DC298545-1279-44AF-9031-8F8E339D8FD4.jpeg

Ireally hadn’t paid enough attention to know this tidbit. Had I known I probably wouldn’t have engaged him so harshly. I thought we were all joking comparing his desire to be a rules maker to gentleman’s gazette, didn’t realize that it was a real thing.

My apologies.

and anybody looking for the gospel on Biz-Caj Plus might enjoy DWW’s rules.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So I didn’t know this, but Dieworkeewr is actually a rules blogger. We were joking about him trying to be a gentleman’s gazette, but it appears he actually is.

whatever, to each their own.
but his cause seems to be the champion of formal informality. The uptick of business casual 20 years after biz caj swept the nation. The sports coat dressed down with casual shoes, trying to keep it informal while still presenting some aura of formality. Oxfords are too formal for the look he endorses (but younger guys wear white gun socks with their leather shoes is ok).

to each their own. Not really a bad look, but not exactly all inclusive of the world of classical menswear (so not sure why he thinks his made up rules are gospel when he’s really championing one unique look).

but what I didn’t realize is he actually has stake in this conversation. I don’t, I was just thrown aback to see him so strident about some rule he had made up. But apparently it’s part of the cause he is championing, so he’s made himself a true believer.

but yeah, he is all in on this “rule”. Actually compares it to “no brown in town” but says it’s still the one rule he thinks should be followed (even if it doesn’t look as nice).
View attachment 1609445
View attachment 1609447
View attachment 1609448

Ireally hadn’t paid enough attention to know this tidbit. Had I known I probably wouldn’t have engaged him so harshly. I thought we were all joking comparing his desire to be a rules maker to gentleman’s gazette, didn’t realize that it was a real thing.
Incredible the amount of hubris someone has after watching five Kirby Allison videos, shining shoes on a beach, and then asking people what's a canvassed suit. Suddenly, they go from "I'm just here to learn" to being a dick.

By the way, there's no "j" in business casual. It's not business cajual.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Incredible the amount of hubris someone has after watching five Kirby Allison videos, shining shoes on a beach, and then asking people what's a canvassed suit. Suddenly, they go from "I'm just here to learn" to being a dick.

By the way, there's no "j" in business casual. It's not business cajual.
incredible that you actually are a gentleman’s gazette wannabe. If I had known you were actively championing a certain style, I would have let you be with your made up rules.

and It’s a phonitic thing. “Biz-Caj” is what all the cool kids call it. You endorse “Biz-Caj Plus.” All good. It’s your thing and you have a vested interest in it.
if I knew your rules were geared toward this look, I might have been more understanding of you making up rules like you are an authority. You aren’t actually directing your rules to classic menswear, you are championing Biz Caj Plus.

best of luck.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh. Tone it down.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never said that men who wear oxfords outside of suits end up looking like Tanner.
nor did I suggest that. But the thread is about pairing oxfords with chinos and you post that?

I’m not even sure you know your own mind on this. On the one hand elsewhere, you’ve indicated that oxfords are oxfords and they’re to be worn with suits. Then here you post that depending on the shoe and the rest of outfit, oxfords could work.

The irony is you posted an example of suede oxfords being worn with a casual outfit after previously having ruled it out.

no one, at least speaking for myself, is suggesting adamantly refusing rules, but there’s also something to be said about being so slavish to rules that one forgoes any sense of individual style.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
nor did I suggest that. But the thread is about pairing oxfords with chinos and you post that?
Half the conversation up to that point was about whether it's reasonable to talk about rules inspired by the Golden Age of classic men's style.

Anyway, my last post on this thread. I've become depressed at what's become of this forum. We now have people arguing whether Matt's fits are good, and then another member posting Pitti Uomo photos.

No reason to like what I post or my view on clothes. But if someone doesn't like my views or taste, don't ask me what to buy at Ralph Lauren, how to use a steamer, or how a suit should look.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that’s nice. The derby can be such an informal shoe, really not the best option with a smart business look (sports coat style), but it really works well here with the jeans!

the color is a bit bold. Some might not like the way the shoes are the star of the show. But hey, with jeans we aren’t really talking about trying to look like some guy from 1935, so I say go for it!

I actually like the shoe's and the color, they are on my list of wants, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I think it works and looks fine, I was just trying to ruffle some feathers around here.

Like I said earlier, I wear both oxfords and derbies/balmoral shoes with both chino's and jeans. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, what I think looks good someone else may not, such is life. I'm not going to make my style choices based off of rules that were written somewhere by someone before my Grandparents were even born, wake up people it's 2021! The suit isn't everyone's everyday clothing anymore!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Threads of Apollo Leather Jackets: Which 2-tone colourway do you like the best?

• Blue

• Red

• Gold

• All of the Above

• None of the Above

Results are only viewable after voting.