• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairing advice

jollybg

Reaction score
I have this light grey suit with black trim on the lapel and on lining the pockets of the pants. Clearly, not a typical light grey suit you can pair with just anything because of this black trim. Do I just go with the regular black or white shirt? Will I be able to pull off a gingham (small/med) as I'm hoping for? I was initially thinking going with just a black and white gingham, due to the black trim on the suit. Now, I'm thinking perhaps one of the ginghams at ctshirts.com either dark grey or "berry" with an appropriately matched tie. What do you guys think?

chrisb0109

Reaction score
I would tend toward a black and white gingham or just a plain white shirt.

jollybg

Reaction score
Which size pattern? Should I small or towards the medium gingham? Will i be able to pull off a deep, but not dark, purple solid tie? Perhaps, black with purple dots or black purple paisley tie? Or, other than black and white, Nordstroms has a gingham, small pattern, this one - http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3084939?...resultback=223, dark purple. Will I be able to pull it off?

jollybg

Reaction score
Okay... I'll try to find one that looks like it. Don't have a camera with me... It was custom made a couple years back. Give me a sec.... found one... scoured all google.. images.. http://cgi.ebay.com/New-One-Button-S...t_13524wt_1282 this one looks very similar to it.. my suit is very very slightly lighter grey. But close enough.. I suppose its just the lighting.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can wear a suit like that if you are in a Herman's Hermits revival band. But nowhere else, ever.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Why not?

Not everyone is going for conservative business dress.

Saltricks

Reaction score
sorry but it looks like someone stuck gaffer's tape on the edges of the lapels

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

jollybg

Reaction score
FYI, BTW that's not my suit. My suit actually looks way better than that... So black/white or grey or dark purple gingham?

I've seen current styles as such, suits/blazers.... maybe its trending... Of course not as sloppy as link above.

CrispyDuck

Reaction score
I'd stick with black/white or grey. Might come off as a little too busy if you go with colored gingham. If you want color, do it with the tie.

jollybg

Reaction score
Yes, initial instinct was telling me to go with blk/wht and black paisley tie. I suppose I can wear a purple patterned tie. Or solid? What shade? Man, I'm lost without my usual plain super light grey suit!

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with grey tones, black and white would work as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads