• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Painting reproductions

PHV

Reaction score
I've always kind of frowned on prints and the like, because I always thought it looked really cheesy and cheap. However, I stumbled on a place where they have a huge collection of reproductions by professional artists, but to me I'm almost kind of thinking that it's like buying a fake Kiton suit or something. I love art, so I guess it doesn't matter, I just want to look at it obviously.

What's your opinions on owning reproductions?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a couple of prints, but prefer original art. You can get real paintings at any price point, from a few dollars to whatever you want to pay. You will often pay less for a real painting than you would for a print. Collecting art is a lot of fun. Search out unknown local artists, or surf the net looking for cool stuff. The satisfaction of owning a real work of art beats buying a print hands down. Some of my paintings: http://www.larsonweb.com/art/art.htm

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have alot of artwork, but most of it is by my father... a few pics... Lake Wingra in my hometown of Madison:
smmorningmist2.jpg
Monona Terrace in Madison:
mononaterrace.jpg
Grand Tetons:
smlandscape267.jpg
If interested, you can visit www.ckchang.com to see more artwork.

PHV

Reaction score
I own a couple of prints, but prefer original art. Â You can get real paintings at any price point, from a few dollars to whatever you want to pay. Â You will often pay less for a real painting than you would for a print. Â Collecting art is a lot of fun. Â Search out unknown local artists, or surf the net looking for cool stuff. Â The satisfaction of owning a real work of art beats buying a print hands down. Some of my paintings: http://www.larsonweb.com/art/art.htm
I'd love to find some good original artwork at low price points. (under $500), for now at least.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually have a bit of origional art, a bit of global "folk art" and quite a bit of repreductions. My wife's family has a very good collection of "real art" - her families collection has been shown at a few major museums. we have been lucky enough to get just a very small fraction of that. I also have some peice by my father look at www.grantselch.com but my favorite pieces are reproductions of specific peices of some really great artists. I, myself, prefer to have a copy of a realy great Matisse hanging than an origional mediocre peice

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have alot of artwork, but most of it is by my father... a few pics... Lake Mendota in my hometown of Madison:
smmorningmist2.jpg
That's a very nice painting.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won some litho reproduction Monets, wish I could afford the real thing, but, that is the closest I will come...the only reason for owning those is I particularly love Monet's work, and my favorite museum is the D'Orsay.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, my dad loves monet too, he does alot of similarly styled paintings. Here are a few paintings he did of Givereny, after we visited.
smmarsh.jpg
smmangrove264.jpg
A few more: Monterey Bay:
smwaves.jpg
The Oregon Coast:
smbeach.jpg

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He does shows sometimes locally, and has sold some items at shows, and to friends, we're working on putting together a new website, right now he has done about 300-400 works and is constantly painting more so we're going to try to put most of them online. Almost all of his earlier work is on www.ckchang.com but i have another 200 or so pictures on my computer that I haven't put up yet... If you see anything on the site you like, I can see if it is for sale.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Always get originals, otherwise its not art its just a copy. Chinese may argue differently howeveR
smile.gif

PHV

Reaction score
Always get originals, otherwise its not art its just a copy. Chinese may argue differently howeveR
smile.gif
Yes. All of the art in my parents' house is original, as my father and mother have very much the same philosophy. They of course buy the painting, not the artist, but definately have some names on the wall. I would be perfectly happy with an apartment full of beautiful art done by someone who will never be recognized than an mansion full of 98% of the stuff in the Gugenheim.

PHV

Reaction score
Yeah, my dad loves monet too, he does alot of similarly styled paintings. Â Here are a few paintings he did of Givereny, after we visited.
smmarsh.jpg
smmangrove264.jpg
A few more: Monterey Bay:
smwaves.jpg
The Oregon Coast:
smbeach.jpg
Drizzt, your father posseses an incredible skill. I however prefer much bolder work, more masculine, or at least I do at this point in my life. Again though, he is a very skilled painter. I'll look through the whole site.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif
Actually, traditional Chinese art is some of the best bargains you can find for really beautiful art at tiny prices. A large and (to my mind) beautiful painting that hangs in my dining room cost me $9 at a BeiJing street market.

PHV

Reaction score
(Brian SD @ Feb. 11 2005,16:41) Always get originals, otherwise its not art its just a copy. Chinese may argue differently howeveR
smile.gif

Actually, traditional Chinese art is some of the best bargains you can find for really beautiful art at tiny prices. Â A large and (to my mind) beautiful painting that hangs in my dining room cost me $9 at a BeiJing street market.
What's the best place to try and find some?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads