Painting/Customizing Chucks

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by VMan, Sep 1, 2006.

1. VMan

VMan Senior member

I've got a pair of chucks that I never wear - they are lowtop, white sole, black upper, bubblegum pink tongue. I want to paint them and maybe do some stenciling or even freehand painting.

What kind of spraypaint should I use, or doesn't it matter? Also, anyone have any ideas for cool colors or designs?

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Decided to paint the entire canvas part of the shoe with black artist's acrylic paint (save for the logos), then I will spray paint the shoes silver, then do a layer of cream acrylic paint on top of that. I figure that when the shoes get all beat up and worn, the other colors will show through.

3. Rolo

Rolo Senior member

Look into fabric paints. They're more like dyes and leave the fabric soft and won't crack. They'll also allow the shoes to breathe.

4. jet

jet Persian Bro

I just ordered custom chucks for 60 instead last year [​IMG]

5. VMan

VMan Senior member

They turned out really cool. I painted the tongue black so the whole shoe was black, then spraypainted the metallic silver over (allowing a bit of black to show through in places) and then dry-brushed some white mixed with a tiny bit of brown acrylic paint over the top, allowing the silver to show in places. They are surprisingly flexible and don't seem to be cracking at all, but I may be a bit worried about breathability.

I'll post pics soon.