• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paging GetSmart: how the F do PS Starr brogues fit?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend was out shopping yesterday and found something she thought I'd like: Paul Smith Starr brogues in the discontinued, pre-neon off-white dip dye. She didn't buy them, because she wasn't sure about sizing, but given that they are labelled in UK sizes, I think the pair she found is indeed my normal size. I'm considering going and snagging them because, well, they're pretty cool, but my research is yielding really conflicting results w/r/t sizing. According to some, they're said to fit a half size large in all dimensions, elsewhere I hear that, due to the shape, they fit pretty narrow... so what's the real deal?

PSstar.jpg

ineffable

Reaction score
I usually wear an 11-11.5(closer to 11) in most shoes and I wear a 10 (UK) for the starr's..

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have PS Sundance (Brogue boots) and I'd say go a half size down, assuming they are similar.

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are on a "fashion last", so they do fit narrowly.

I take an 11.5 or 11 in D width typically and I have the same pair of boots as pg2g above, the Sundance, and in a size uk10 they have a length of 12 3/4" and a width of 4 1/4". They are tighter in width than most of my shoes at that size. I believe the last to be the same as the shoe you're considering.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
JC,

IME.....I wear size 8us in most shoes...for example Allen Edmonds

the PS starr I wear size 7UK/41EU....the last is true to width, but a half size longer altho the extra length doesnt negatively affect how they fit since they taper in a bit towards the toe box.

I'd recommend getting your "usual" US size (-1 for UK)

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
word, thanks guys. What's a good price for this model nowadays?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool. One other thing: am I correct that the off-white is indeed out of production (can't find it online anywhere but ebay)? If I like it, should I jump on it now or can it be had at a later date just as easily?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't seen that color for sale lately. I bought my pair of tan ones from ebay. I don't think those are sold in stores any more either. I really wanted a pair of bordeaux ones but mine are almost that color right now after using Obenauf's, heh.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I haven't seen that color for sale lately. I bought my pair of tan ones from ebay. I don't think those are sold in stores any more either. I really wanted a pair of bordeaux ones but mine are almost that color right now after using Obenauf's, heh.

Yeah from all the pix I have seen, it certainly looks like the leather would take color really well. That'll be good if I tired of white brogues.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was able to go down to the smallest size in any shoe I have (9UK) for my PS boots and still put thin insoles in them. I don't have wide feet and they are snug. But for reference C&J 9.5 UK are much snugger, EG 10UK is similar, AE 10.5DUS, etc. Overall I'd say if you don't have wide feet then err on the small side. (If the boots are similar to the other footwear.)

Gem-bean

Reaction score
I have a pair of starr brogues in canvas and a pair of PS Yorke boots. The brogues are 8.5 UK and the boots are 8 UK. Just to add to the confusion I tried on a pair of leather starr brogues and found the 8UK fitted better than the 8.5 UK. I am a US 10 or 10.5.

My experience was that the starr brogues fit long and narrow.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
Cool. One other thing: am I correct that the off-white is indeed out of production (can't find it online anywhere but ebay)? If I like it, should I jump on it now or can it be had at a later date just as easily?

iirc, the white starrs were from 06 and tho the starr last and style gets carried over season to season, the specific colors dont (other than black and dk brown)

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear 6.5's in Starr Brogues and 8.5-9's in most other shoes...

The width is not the problem for me, its the length.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads