• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paestum vs Pompeii

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After all the shopping and eating you could stand, if you had a free day in the Naples area and wanted to do something "educational", would you spend a day visiting Paestum or Pompeii. Assume you will have a guide.

WildeMan

Reaction score
Having just returned from the area, I would suggest Pompeii over Paestum. There is more to see there, and guides are more readily available. (Expect to pay about 10 Eur per person for the guide, plus the 11 Eur entrance fee.)

A number of the walls and frescoes from Pompeii are actually on display in the Naples museum, so that they aren't worn down by the elements. You might want to see them first.

A 2 hour tour just scratches the surface. You can stay and poke around by yourself after the tour is completed.

Don't get me wrong, Paestum is interesting, and worth a trip if you have the time. But if you can do only one, I say it's Pompeii.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
After all the shopping and eating you could stand, if you had a free day in the Naples area and wanted to do something "educational", would you spend a day visiting Paestum or Pompeii. Assume you will have a guide.

Herculaneum for sure. I'd rather split the day and then go to Herculaneum where the preservation is better, less tourists, and the buildings are impressive.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pompeii, and then hike up Vesuvius.

I'll have a better answer tomorrow - I'll ask my tailor
smile.gif

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Herculaneum for sure. I'd rather split the day and then go to Herculaneum where the preservation is better, less tourists, and the buildings are impressive.

+1,000

I've done all three, and I would say Herculaneum > Pompeii every single time.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help, Herculaneum it is!

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
Thank you all for your help, Herculaneum it is!

you won't regret it. eat a lot while you're in naples.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like Paestum more, but I was sick as a dog for Herc and Pompeii. As sfield said, eat. Definitely hit da Dora at least once. One of my favorite restaurants in the world.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I like Paestum more, but I was sick as a dog for Herc and Pompeii. As sfield said, eat. Definitely hit da Dora at least once. One of my favorite restaurants in the world.
I've got it and Europeo on my Naples Google map. You and whnay have been a wealth of info for meal planning during this short visit. My priorities are basically: food, clothes, history, so the restaurant recs are much appreciated!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads