1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Padma's back, bitches!

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Aug 19, 2009.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Damn, other than Jen the women seem hopelessly outmatched this time.

Fuck that OMG I'M GAY HOW CAN YOU EXPECT ME TO CATER A WEDDING EVENT bullshit.

I thought that was a little strange. I understand being unhappy about being unable to marry if you are gay. But having a fit because you are asked to cater for someone else's sedate, poolside bachelor/bachelorette party?

2. KJT

KJT Well-Known Member

Anyone know when this season was filmed? I happened to be at one of the Volt brothers' restaurant in Frederick MD about a month ago. I wonder if he had won by that point.

3. Roikins

Roikins Well-Known Member

Anyone know when this season was filmed? I happened to be at one of the Volt brothers' restaurant in Frederick MD about a month ago. I wonder if he had won by that point.
    They started filming in April. I was last at VOLT the end of March, and Bryan was telling me he was flying out to visit Michael at the Bazaar the following week, and I ended up eating at The Bazaar about 2 weeks after that with Michael in the kitchen. A week later, there were rumors that Michael was no longer at the Bazaar, which puts it around the time of the show.

4. 6ApRadat

6ApRadat Member

Nice Show, I caught Part 1 and 2.

Las Vegas is a nice venue for Top Chef.

5. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Question - In the past episode one of the contestants was complaining that her scallops did not get a good sear on them, but said she was unable to add some butter as she had already used her allotted number of ingredients. However, it was said that salt, pepper and olive oil did not count toward the ingredient total. Could she not have used the oil for the same purpose? Not a chef so maybe this is a dumb question.

6. BrooklynHighpost

BrooklynHighpost Well-Known Member

Question - In the past episode one of the contestants was complaining that her scallops did not get a good sear on them, but said she was unable to add some butter as she had already used her allotted number of ingredients. However, it was said that salt, pepper and olive oil did not count toward the ingredient total. Could she not have used the oil for the same purpose? Not a chef so maybe this is a dumb question.
    I thought adding more oil would cool down the temperature in the pan, and since she wanted a quick sear and color (using butter), the oil would do the opposite. Just a guess.

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Butter will add more color to the scallop (and anything, for that matter) because it has proteins and lactose that assist the Maillard reaction. When the milk sugars start to cook and caramelize, they will transfer more color to the object rather than oil, which is better for heat transfer.

8. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Got it; thanks for the explanation.

9. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I am rooting for Bitchy Jen. She is awesome.

10. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Well-Known Member

Fuck that OMG I'M GAY HOW CAN YOU EXPECT ME TO CATER A WEDDING EVENT bullshit.

I guess the complaining lesbians forgot that they were in the restaurant business.

11. chorse123

Me too. She was perfect for that task. The best thing about her is that she can walk the walk. She should pop that whiny shrimp salad guy in the mouth.

12. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

I like the jolly Southern redheaded fellow. Reminds me of a young Santa Claus, if Santa was a ginger.

There is something going on with the brothers that we don't know about (unless I missed it, which is possible as I haven't been paying full attention). Their relationship is strange...almost like they grew up very close but for whatever reason have grown apart. One seems more excited that they are both on the show than the other, but I can't remember which is which.

edit - the shrimp guy is a huge douche. Also he has a very annoying face.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

We just quit watching Top Chef for the season. The whiney lesbian going on and on about how the bachelor/bachelorette party made her "uncomfortable," etc., was it. I don't watch the show for fucking propaganda and it has increasingly had that over the last couple of seasons.

Do lesbians go into the chef business at about 2 million times their population ratio?

14. Roikins

There is something going on with the brothers that we don't know about (unless I missed it, which is possible as I haven't been paying full attention). Their relationship is strange...almost like they grew up very close but for whatever reason have grown apart. One seems more excited that they are both on the show than the other, but I can't remember which is which.

It's definitely a clashing personality thing. I've been to Table 21 at VOLT a few times and when you watch Bryan cook and talk to him, you can see he's definitely the more levelheaded and mature one. Plus he opened VOLT in his hometown of Frederick. Michael is the "bad brother" with all the tats and when you talk to him has a slightly detached attitude. He also never seems to be able to stay settled at one kitchen and doesn't seem to have any interest in working at a place close to Frederick. Maybe he was banned from the city. [​IMG] You get the feeling Bryan was the brother that worked hard and was responsible when it came to school while Michael was the one that was more interested in going out with his friends to get drunk and tip over cows.

15. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Well-Known Member

That show is gaining a larger black audience as we speak.

BIG BUTT PADMA SHOW!!!!!

16. milosz

milosz Well-Known Member

Ash reminds me of a goofy comic actor, but I can't figure out who it is.

17. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Ash reminds me of a goofy comic actor, but I can't figure out who it is.

Jim Gaffigan?

[​IMG]

18. chorse123

It's definitely a clashing personality thing. I've been to Table 21 at VOLT a few times and when you watch Bryan cook and talk to him, you can see he's definitely the more levelheaded and mature one. Plus he opened VOLT in his hometown of Frederick. Michael is the "bad brother" with all the tats and when you talk to him has a slightly detached attitude. He also never seems to be able to stay settled at one kitchen and doesn't seem to have any interest in working at a place close to Frederick. Maybe he was banned from the city. [​IMG] You get the feeling Bryan was the brother that worked hard and was responsible when it came to school while Michael was the one that was more interested in going out with his friends to get drunk and tip over cows.

Those guys are such stereotypical older/younger brothers it's ridiculous. Even down to the younger one's sort of shifty eyes which make it look like he could have sampled some illegal substances.

19. Roikins

Those guys are such stereotypical older/younger brothers it's ridiculous. Even down to the younger one's sort of shifty eyes which make it look like he could have sampled some illegal substances.

I bet Michael got in trouble when he was younger, and the family had to use money tucked away for Bryan's culinary school education to bail him out and get a lawyer. [​IMG]

20. milosz

milosz Well-Known Member

Thank you, Manton, that's it.