• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Packing for Europe

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to Europe for 2 weeks in early July- Netherlands, Belgium and France (Paris and Provence)

So far I am going to pack:
-2 Chinos from Jcrew, beige and gray
-1 Jeans
-Light pink shorts
-2 Semi V-necks from Jcrew
-2 button down shirts
-Brown Alligator Skin belt, plain black leather belt
-Black Light cashmere/silk cardigan, paper thin from Hyden Yoo
-Tan leather Boat Shoes
-Brown/tan leather sandals
-Black hooded rain windbreaker

Now some of that is what I'll actually be wearing the on plane.

What I am having issue with is a jacket. I will not be doing any 5 star restaurants but I am thinking that in Brussels or Amsterdam a blazer with pants and a polo or shirt, even a t-shirt might be good for days at museums or dinner at local restaurants. I got about 6 blazers that might work for the summer, ranging from Cotton to silk to wool. I can post them later. I was thinking about even buying one on ebay. I am looking at an unlined wool Armani Black Label jacket thats brand new. I really have no idea what to do about it. I just don't want to bring a blazer that is too warm or not warm enough.

The other issue is should I bring a polo shirt or two. Also would a light cotton sweater be recommended

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1) You need less than you think
2) Chinos + JCrew is going to make you stand out in Paris
3) You don't want a wool blazer in Provence in July
4) You need less than you think

I kind of feel guilty for answering this post. Haven't there been like 80 threads on this exact same topic in the last year?

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like your packing for a trip to Nantucket not Europe.

vthustle

Reaction score
Forget the jeans. You'll want lighter weight pants for northern Europe in July (especially during the day, cause it can get pretty hot), but if you're set on bringing a jacket, bring a light one. It might not be a bad idea anyway, since the temperature can drop pretty drastically once its dark (although thats not til almost 11 at night). Like the above poster mentioned, you need less than you think, especially for 2 weeks.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you really only need 2 outfits, one hot day outfit, one cool day outfit, the rest you will inevitably buy throughout your trip

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman

laugh.gif

bassmanpatsfan18

Reaction score
France in July can get pretty hot. You probably won't need a blazer. A light cotton jacket would do.

And I wouldn't bring too many polos if I were you. I'm not sure about the Netherlands or Belgium, but in France at least you'll stand out like a sore thumb wearing polos. That's not to say that you should copy what the French people are wearing while you're there, but in my experience, trying to blend in at least a little when visiting a foreign culture is usually a good idea.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't see condoms on the list!

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
1) You need less than you think
2) Chinos + JCrew is going to make you stand out in Paris
3) You don't want a wool blazer in Provence in July
4) You need less than you think

I kind of feel guilty for answering this post. Haven't there been like 80 threads on this exact same topic in the last year?

What kind of pants do you suggest? I understand that wearing khaki chinos scream American but what about lightweight cotton, darker colored (navy, grey) chinos?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman

Also agree with this^^^

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant
What kind of pants do you suggest? I understand that wearing khaki chinos scream American but what about lightweight cotton, darker colored (navy, grey) chinos?
What about Italians wearings khaki. I also do not get the issues with polos...French people do not wear Lacoste polo's or Dior Homme polos? Or are these just strictly imports for Asian minimalists and middle aged men driving Ferrari's on LI.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'll replace the jeans with tan linen pants. Or maybe I should replace the slim fit khakis with them?

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
heres what my grandpa wore

3082594840_f9786c47b5.jpg

bassmanpatsfan18

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
What about Italians wearings khaki. I also do not get the issues with polos...French people do not wear Lacoste polo's or Dior Homme polos? Or are these just strictly imports for Asian minimalists and middle aged men driving Ferrari's on LI.

I don't know about Dior Homme polos, but when I've been in France, Lacoste seems to be worn exclusively by either really old frenchmen or (more commonly) tourists/recent immigrants who wear it thinking they will fit in by doing so (and they don't).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads