• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

P. lal delays

rayk

Reaction score
I placed an order for a pair of C&J handgrade Belgrave at the end of March, but have to date received only an email that P. Lal apparently received from C&J stating serious production delays, and which the former then forwarded to customers with outstanding orders as explanation. Has anyone experienced this kind of problem with P. Lal? I've ordered from them before and have never had a problem.

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
As someone who has to manage a British manufacturing operation, I can say firsthand that "serious production delays" is quite common in England. The English don't share the same sense of urgency when it comes to manufacturing as others. Be patient, they will arrive and be top quality. The Brits may not be diligent when it comes to timeliness, but they do take pride in quality.

rayk

Reaction score
HRHAndrew: Thanks, I was beginning to become concerned.

Isak Bengtsbo

Reaction score
I spoke to P. lal a couple of days ago and was informed that the next delivery from C&J is supposed to arrive late May/ beginning of June.

rayk

Reaction score
In my case that could mean a wait for delivery of nearly three months from the date of order. A bit excessive for RTW.

rayk

Reaction score
It appears that, at least to some extent, P.Lal's good pricing on C&J shoes is over. Â I just received an email from P.Lal, included here, which indicates that price increases are going into effect immediately. Â Nothing that good could last forever. Â
sad.gif
Email: Yes, we now have along with a dressing down for underpricing their shoes and with orders to increase prices which we have. Of course, this will not affect you. We have 35 pairs specially ordered and we got a reply that 5 pairs can't be supplied yet (not ready) and it appears none of this 5 is yours so you're OK. We expect the shoes in our store in about 10 days now. They will be sent off before the end of this week. Regards, Shyam Doshi +6012.222.2209 -----Original Message----- From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 9:34 AM To: [email protected] Subject: Crockett & Jones of England ************************************************************************ ******* ProductOrService: Crockett & Jones of England Name:       Raymond G Kalendek Email:       [email protected] Phone:       Remote Name:    24-195-37-179.nycap.rr.com Remote User:    HTTP User Agent:  Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; FunWebProducts) Feedback: Sirs: I'm in receipt of  P. Lal forwarded communication from C&J stating production delays.  Have you received further information that would permit you to estimate how much longer the process of delivery will take? Best Regards, Ray Kalendek

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I myself just recently ordered a pair of Belgraves from them as well, along with a pair of Chilterns. I filled out the order form with the quoted low prices, though, so I imagine they will honor that. I'll bet rival retailers were complaining to C&J: One in particular, which advertises that it will beat any price, didn't even bother to try and beat a C&J price I quoted them.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Yes, disappointing to hear about the price jump. I suppose I should have ordered the shoes I almost did a month ago, but I'm pleased with the multiple shoes I bought instead at considerable discounts. I wouldn't be surprised if the exchange rates didn't add to the jump as well. Ben Silver has upped their C&J prices considerably.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Ahh, that's a shame. I was planning on ordering some hangrades from P.Lal very soon.

Any idea how high the price will rise?

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea how high the price will rise?
I was told 10-15% - which isn't so bad, I guess - beginning in July or August.

This was about a month ago, though, so they may have revised their estimate in the meantime.

I've gotta clear some space on my credit card and order a pair pretty quick...

rayk

Reaction score
From P. Lal RE price increases: From: "Shoe Dept. of P.Lal Store" <[email protected]> Â Add to Address Book To: [email protected] Subject: RE: Crockett & Jones of England Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:20:43 +0800 Â Â Â The prices of handgrade are already revised to M$1499 (25%) or US$395. Â Others will follow suit in July probably by about 15% to 20%. Regards, Shyam Doshi +6012.222.2209 -----Original Message----- From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 4:34 AM To: [email protected] Subject: Crockett & Jones of England ************************************************************************ ******* ProductOrService: Crockett & Jones of England Name: Â Â Â Â Â Â Raymond G Kalendek Email: Â Â Â Â Â Â [email protected] Phone: Â Â Â Â Â Â Remote Name: Â Â Â nycap.rr.com Remote User: Â Â Â HTTP User Agent: Â Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; FunWebProducts) Feedback: Sirs: I have several orders for new C&J handgrades shoes on hold. Would it be possible to tell me what the anticipated price increases are to be, and when they will take effect? Is there still time to place orders under the old pricing? Best Regards, Ray Kalendek In my opinion, $395 plus shipping is still a hell of a deal for shoes of this quality.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, $395 plus shipping is still a hell of a deal for shoes of this quality.
Exactly. When I heard, I prepared myself to accept an increase of anywhere up to 30%. Where I live, that's still a good deal for C&amp;J, which can be up to AU$895 (US$650) for the regular, non-handgrade line.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads