• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

P Johnson MTM

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought as they're one of the best Australian MTM suitmakers around for the money (according to the A members thread anyway), the topic deserves its own thread.

So anyone had any experience / had any suits made by P Johnson?

I had heard of someone with a 'crotch issue' on a PJ suit, and also I think Phat G has had one made there (though I could be wrong about that), but I don't remember seeing any actual pics...

Please share your thoughts.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have booked an appointment with them, from which will probably materialize a suit or SC.

But from what I've seen on Ethan's blog (Rugged Old Salt Tumblr) and Phat Guido's; I don't believe I'll be disappointed.

Cheers.
smile.gif

CHECKstar

Reaction score
As mentioned before in the Australian Members thread, I have approached Tom, the Melbourne based tailor about getting something made up. Through the correspondence I had with him he was quite engaging and honest. When I mentioned that I have just changed my exercise routine, he actually suggested that I hold off a couple of months before getting measured up - so will be looking at locking in a date at the end of April.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
PG uses their stuff. I saw a jacket they made for him in person. Of course the fit was great. I noted some interesting detailing, such as the shoulder treatment. I'm not sure what it would be called, but it was distinctive - sort of like a top-stitch on the shoulder. I liked it.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Like CHECKstar, I am delaying so as to avoid fit-change-related obsolescence. In fact, I'm using the prospect of a new bag-o-fruit as a bit of motivation.

The stuff on their site, on Ethan and PG's tumblrs look fantastic.

My only question (and one I will ask them in due course) is whether, being MTM rather than bespoke, their 'house-style' would allow for a somewhat less trim/fitted silhouette. I think I'd be wanting something a little fuller in the legs and lapel then their stock standard.

Hope to eventually provide an update here.

ivormiric

Reaction score
Great Idea,

I had my first measurement 2 weeks ago, should be another 2-3 weeks before I go back in for the final adjustments.

To start, both Ethan and Patrick seem very very knowledgeable and open to any suggestion accompanied by fun banter.

Considering I'm relatively young and this was my first suit Ethan was happy to go through every detail and every option I could have or want whilst keeping the final product conservative as it is for the office. They have a huge selection of materials and so far all I can really say is the experience was like no other.
I'll be happy to post up pictures when I head back and pick it up

I have a feeling going through Ethans blog's this could be it...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr....DwQ0PP642z4%3D

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
PG uses their stuff. I saw a jacket they made for him in person. Of course the fit was great. I noted some interesting detailing, such as the shoulder treatment. I'm not sure what it would be called, but it was distinctive - sort of like a top-stitch on the shoulder. I liked it.
I think this is the AMF topstitch they refer to on their website. I have a suit from another maker with the same detail and personally I like the look.

I feel it allows for a very soft shoulder while also giving some definition to the top of the sleeve as it appears from the shoulder. It's also not obvious unless you're looking for it.

Thanks for the responses so far guys. Would be good to see some pics and more feedback once some of you guys get measured up and eventually, your new suits/SCs. In the meantime I'll check out the aforementioned brogs.

Getzione

Reaction score
What are the prices like?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Getzione
What are the prices like?

P. Johnson's website is here: http://www.pjohnson.com.au/

At the menu on the bottom of the front page, you will see an "FAQ" section.

Q.6 asks "How much do the suits and shirts cost?"

It states that suits start from $1200 and go up from there, and that if you wish the suit to be fully handmade, it will cost an extra $250, on top of any other cost.

The answer to the question also details costs for shirts, odd jackets and so on.

It's well worth reading through the FAQs and having a look at the website.

stereoscopic

Reaction score
I just got home from my second fitting this evening..

Got a 3 peice mid grey linin suit, and a pair of purple cord trousers.
Really happy with where it's all at, it's sort weird the first time you wear something that really fits YOUR body.
It's my first MTM suit so I've really got nothing to directly compare it to, but certainly the nicest thing I've ever worn.
Really like the space and really like the guys. Your clearly dealing with dudes who are clothing geeks and love the stuff they do, watching a trailer for some new Rubinacci doco while taking fit notes on an iPad. My sort of people, the kind of guys who get similarly geeky about steel bicycles or camera equipment..

Prices were a small jump over herringbone.

Question now is, should I get a purple cord jacket to go with the trousers? Or is such a thing perhaps TOO awesome?

lennier

Reaction score
Had a first fitting with Tom the other day and it was a very encouraging experience. Looking forward to seeing the initial result when it arrives! As stereoscopic says, clearly passionate about the business they're in.
Note too that their prices have effectively come slightly down it would seem, as they now routinely do full canvas (and don't push half option) starting at $1275. It used to be an extra $100 on top of the half canvassed starting price of $1200 to get full canvas.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lennier
Had a first fitting with Tom the other day and it was a very encouraging experience. Looking forward to seeing the initial result when it arrives! As stereoscopic says, clearly passionate about the business they're in.
Note too that their prices have effectively come slightly down it would seem, as they now routinely do full canvas (and don't push half option) starting at $1275. It used to be an extra $100 on top of the half canvassed starting price of $1200 to get full canvas.

Very interested to hear how it works out for you. Their prices seem reasonable.

lennier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bhall41
Very interested to hear how it works out for you. Their prices seem reasonable.
If people are interested I'm happy to post some updates when it's done. It will be a mid grey subtle check by Loro Piana, neapolitan shoulder, notch lapel. Much like (if not identical to) the April 7 pic on their website archive.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lennier
If people are interested I'm happy to post some updates when it's done. It will be a mid grey subtle check by Loro Piana, neapolitan shoulder, notch lapel. Much like (if not identical to) the April 7 pic on their website archive.

Thanks, that would be great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads