• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

P Johnson MTM

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How willing is PJ to make a something that doesn't fit like a wetsuit? The styling on their tumblr puts me off trying them. I understand they are going for young and playful, but how can anyone take this seriously?

This is genuinely atrocious...

fox81

Reaction score
the sort answer is yes, they will make you a conservative suit. in fact, none of mine are fashion forward like they promote.
it may have something to do with who you deal with, but Tom in Melbourne understood what I was looking for and has been able to deliver conservative conservative business dress suits to my liking.
if you know what you want and don't just walk in asking for a suit, you should be fine. Australia has a perception that a well fitting suit should "fit like a glove", where that is obviously too small and not a well fitting suit.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe Porter wears Patrick's old suits as hand-me-downs, which is why they're far too small for him?!?!

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's even more worrying - a good suit should be flattering regardless of body size or type (sure, sure within limits). Is skin-tight really the way to go in this case? Surely something like this raises red flags for prospective customers?

Again, he's a bigger guy, wearing a double breasted jacket, turned slightly diagonally. The fit isn't fret for him, but I'm sure as one of the Melbourne fitters he would be completely aware of this.

I'm sure PJT can do a more conservative fit (they did for my blazer), but they're not going to be the ones you see on Instagram as worn by 20 something graphic designers.

Last edited:

Styleternity

Reaction score
Regarding the photos of Porter, that was taken during his early training as an apprentice. As with most of these matters, he was properly trying out the 6 x 2 DB and realized maybe that it wasn't for him.

I've visited him in Sydney a couple times over the past year, and the unstructured block he favors now is much more flattering and body shape appropriate.

As for the other various questions about whether PJ make a more robust cut, the short answer is yes. It'd probably be better to talk to someone with a bit more experience however, someone like Tom Riley who is incredibly observant and receptive to these things. Most of the apprentices are roughly my age, and as such in the vast majority err toward what somebody affectionately described on this thread as the 'wet suit' cut. If you're in Sydney, perhaps speak to Tom Cranston (one of the senior apprentices who alternates between Suitshop & PJ), he has a penchant for the less aggressively close more roomy proportions.

I'm very happy with my first commission from them (a blazer woven S130 number in mid-gray from Carlo Barbera) but I will be lugging it down to Sydney with me the next time I'm there for some alterations. Needs about 1cm standaway from the current buttoning point, because that fashionable 'pull' is on my flabby gut dreadful.

tl;dr - as long as you're firm and precise, they'll do you a less fashionable cut with no problem
biggrin.gif
PJT customer service has always (in my experience) been prompt and accommodating, so this is something they will adjust.

Fun fact @Journeyman (though all evidence would suggest you're joking), a couple of the apprentices are a deadringer for Pat and do on occasion wear his so-called hand me downs. Definitely not Porter though, guy puts the 'barrel' in barrel chested.

Vice

Reaction score
Regarding the photos of Porter, that was taken during his early training as an apprentice. As with most of these matters, he was properly trying out the 6 x 2 DB and realized maybe that it wasn't for him.

I've visited him in Sydney a couple times over the past year, and the unstructured block he favors now is much more flattering and body shape appropriate.

As for the other various questions about whether PJ make a more robust cut, the short answer is yes. It'd probably be better to talk to someone with a bit more experience however, someone like Tom Riley who is incredibly observant and receptive to these things. Most of the apprentices are roughly my age, and as such in the vast majority err toward what somebody affectionately described on this thread as the 'wet suit' cut. If you're in Sydney, perhaps speak to Tom Cranston (one of the senior apprentices who alternates between Suitshop & PJ), he has a penchant for the less aggressively close more roomy proportions.

I'm very happy with my first commission from them (a blazer woven S130 number in mid-gray from Carlo Barbera) but I will be lugging it down to Sydney with me the next time I'm there for some alterations. Needs about 1cm standaway from the current buttoning point, because that fashionable 'pull' is on my flabby gut dreadful.

tl;dr - as long as you're firm and precise, they'll do you a less fashionable cut with no problem
biggrin.gif
PJT customer service has always (in my experience) been prompt and accommodating, so this is something they will adjust.

Fun fact @Journeyman (though all evidence would suggest you're joking), a couple of the apprentices are a deadringer for Pat and do on occasion wear his so-called hand me downs. Definitely not Porter though, guy puts the 'barrel' in barrel chested.
This is something I had been worrying about myself also. I adore PJ and he was one of the guys that really influenced me when I first got into menswear and really got into the lightweight, soft, Italian style that I so dearly admire. However As I have grown in my experience and taste, I like things that fit, but not too tight nowadays. When I first started, I wanted everything tight and close fitting, to the point where it may even be uncomfortable bit. However, I enjoy roomier cut, especially in the legs. I like it slim but straight leg, an opening somewhere around 19-19.5cm. Along the lines with how the guys at The Armory where their pants (specifically Jake), high waist and all.
But back to PJ, I'd love to one day get a commission for a super lightweight jacket (or suit), no canvas, unlined, unconstructed, perhaps Napoli line (if it doesn't break the bank), but for sure in a cut that fits well, but is subtly roomy at the same time. Good to hear that they can accommodate.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Jake doesn't leave as much room as Mark. I find the latter's fit completely unbecoming. His physique affords him the option of wearing his clothes the way Porter wishes he could, and he should be taking advantage of it.

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Xpost

First MTM project with PJohnson in NYC. This is there Roma line (middle line). Went with a navy seersucker, half lined, and patch pockets so I can wear as separate. Fabric is a bit stiff which you can see in the pictures. It will soften up with time. We intentionally left some room in the back given it is for warmer weather.

Edit: woops, posted my face

Last edited:

vida

Reaction score
Nicely done. I've looked at the PJ tumblr for a number of years and have always admired their approach to tailoring. The back looks nice, did they say the extra room would allow for better ventilation?

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nicely done. I've looked at the PJ tumblr for a number of years and have always admired their approach to tailoring. The back looks nice, did they say the extra room would allow for better ventilation?

That was more my call. I went in Tuesday for the first fitting of the suit. We discussed that the lower back could be minimized a bit, but I asked him to leave it as is. I also fluctuate in weight month to month so I wanted a bit of room.

KVG91

Reaction score
Evening chaps.

What is the general feedback on SuitShop products?

I was also looking to get some advice RE first time MTM suiting. I'm from Brisbane and am only in Sydney for a few days. I simply refuse to get anything done at Brisbane's The Cloakroom, as I've had numerous friends get items done (including members of the Reds) and the feedback has never been good. I have an appointment later this month at Suit Shop and I'm looking to get two suits done plus an extra pair of off-white trousers.

I've been pretty indecisive with what I should get. Considering I am just about to graduate from Uni and enter the professional world, I'm looking for a reliable everyday option but also something that is not too basic or conservative. Not sure if I can have my pie and eat it, though.

Any suggestions?

(apologies if this is the wrong thread for SuitShop related questions - just thought I would have a crack because they're PJT affiliated.)

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was also looking to get some advice RE first time MTM suiting. I'm from Brisbane and am only in Sydney for a few days. I simply refuse to get anything done at Brisbane's The Cloakroom, as I've had numerous friends get items done (including members of the Reds) and the feedback has never been good. I have an appointment later this month at Suit Shop and I'm looking to get two suits done plus an extra pair of off-white trousers.

It's probably too late to say this, but if you're from Brisbane, you should give very serious consideration to ordering something from Rene at Deer Style in Brisbane.

Excellent price point, very wide range of customisation, very wide range of cloth and, as you note, much, much, much better than the Cloakroom. Rene's also an extremely nice person, to boot. I don't have a commercial interest, but I'm a very satisfied customer of Deer Style.

With regard to Suit Shop, I've heard good reports about them and I know that there are several satisfied customers over in the Australian Members' thread here on StyleForum. They do have limited customisation/options, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads