• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

P.Johnson in Sydney

dingdongbell

Reaction score
Thanks again...

Sorry one more question - material (Apology, I dont really know much in this area.)

The purpose of the suit is 1.work 2. functions (for all seasons) what kind of material would you guys suggest?

wool + cashmere?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, worsted wool. There are plenty of fine fabric suppliers. You can see samples at all/most of the tailors I listed for you, dingdong. You can then choose the look, colour and feel that you desire.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the PJ look, and some of the details are fun, but it is best suited for a skinny dude. I also don't like them on PG...

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dingdongbell
right! Lucky I asked!!
any suggestion?

- Oh FFS, I even replied to your email.
- just call them & talk to them
- Sheesh..

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
Really? I haven't been impressed with P Johnson for Phat Guido but what do I know... I second this advice! Don't pick a tailor just because your friend or some one on the internet says so...
Originally Posted by maomao1980
I like the PJ look, and some of the details are fun, but it is best suited for a skinny dude. I also don't like them on PG...
- I hear you, but we all know that it's part of a journey & yes version 1 was tight, but version 2 is a big improvement & so will version 3 & so on. - Unless I'm part of some Super Trust Fund, I'm not about to go to Florence or Naples for pizza & not all pizza's served there are great the first time around

quar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
What are your dislikes about what they do for PG? Proportions a little whack? Or is it the fit? PG, do you think the P Johnson finish is comparable / worse / better than WW Chan?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quar
What are your dislikes about what they do for PG? Proportions a little whack? Or is it the fit?

PG, do you think the P Johnson finish is comparable / worse / better than WW Chan?

FYI - Chan is bespoke & PJ is MTM. They both are good, but I like the finer details of PJ.
FWIW - I have 5 Chan suits & have not worn them in over a year. My Peter Lee suits are still worn today, in fact I'm wear PL today.

quar

Reaction score
I'm aware Chan is bespoke. I am a customer of Chan.

I have also recently orders some PJ items. I was very happy with my first shirt from them. I have just ordered another couple today. I think the quality of the finish on their shirts is very good.

I was just interested in your opinion on the quality of their finish in their suiting range. The fit and style is another matter for discussion. I personally have found that Chan's level of construction is very good. I have not inspected a PJ jacket yet, but from the pants I saw today (I did also order a pair of MTM pants from Tom today), Chan's finishing is superior. Chan do charge upwards of $600AU for pants though.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quar
I'm aware Chan is bespoke. I am a customer of Chan.

I have also recently orders some PJ items. I was very happy with my first shirt from them. I have just ordered another couple today. I think the quality of the finish on their shirts is very good.

I was just interested in your opinion on the quality of their finish in their suiting range. The fit and style is another matter for discussion. I personally have found that Chan's level of construction is very good. I have not inspected a PJ jacket yet, but from the pants I saw today (I did also order a pair of MTM pants from Tom today), Chan's finishing is superior. Chan do charge upwards of $600AU for pants though.

- for me it about the sum of all parts & in this case, I'm happier with PJ over Chan.
- some get excited about hand this had that & we all like hand-jobs, but I don't toss my cookies over these. To my eye the finish is finer on my hand finished PJ to Chan.

quar

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That is certainly very promising if you think that the level of finish achieved by PJ is comparable / better than Chan. I think that Chan's level of finish is superior to common 'high-end' companies (EZ, RLBL, etc.). It certainly makes PJ's price-point very attractive for Australian men.

I would be comfortable in saying that the finishing of PJ's shirts (button-holes, stitching, collars and cuffs, interlining) is higher than Chan (although Chan are not typically known for their shirts). The Thomas Mason range of shirting that they offer is also good quality with many interesting selections.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- I hear you, but we all know that it's part of a journey & yes version 1 was tight, but version 2 is a big improvement & so will version 3 & so on.
- Unless I'm part of some Super Trust Fund, I'm not about to go to Florence or Naples for pizza & not all pizza's served there are great the first time around

Saw version 2 on your blog, mate.

Looks exerent; much cleaner than v1; and I like v1.

Can't wait for mine (mid-gray SB 2-button; very-subtle POW check; Loro Piana S120s; handmade) to arrive end April... and the shirt too!

Think I'll get the LP Wave (same cut) in navy next!

Cheers

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just went into the new Harrolds today for the first time. I was talking to a charming Italian guy, Simone, who told me they have 9 rooms in the new premises on Pitt St Mall. He offered me a coffee and it was one of the best I have drunk in years. I may be mistaken but I reckon there had to be at least AUD1 million in stock sitting in the rooms. The new premises is like 10X bigger than the old.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads