• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oysters and Spirits

Bouji

Reaction score
Now I was out for lunch today, and I had the following:

6 Fines de Claire Oysters
Hendrick's and tonic
Grilled Whole Lobster
1 Armagnac
1 Romeo y Julietta petit coronas
Bread and butter pudding

Now my concern is that my server told me that the consumption of spirits and oysters is not recomended. At first I though that it would be okay, and shuned him because my stomach is ruthless, and so it would be after spending a few years in India... added to that I often eat steaks raw from the fridge, and I have no problems.
Later I realised that the reason for them not being recomended together may be something other than my stomach... I'm fine at the moment, at it was about 5 hours ago now, but can anyone fill me in as to why consuming oysters and spirits together are not recomended

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is recommended to drink either beer, wine or soft-drinks with oysters since strong spirits does not aid in the digestion of oysters. Stout and champagne are traditional drinks to accompany oysters.
http://www.shellfish.org.uk/frequent..._questions.htm As far as I'm concern, if it doesn't kill you and you like the combo, eat and drink until your heart's content.

Bouji

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I still seem to be fine!

Reaction score
How can you eat raw oysters? (or oysters in general for that matter)

Where I'm from people eat raw seafood all the time. Grosses me out.

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Despite being allergic to most of what you ate, your lunch sounds amazing. What was the occassion/how can justify such a lunch?

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
Despite being allergic to most of what you ate, your lunch sounds amazing. What was the occassion/how can justify such a lunch?

I was taking lunchon with my manager; whom was discussing promotion options with me.

carlhuber

Reaction score
Bread and butter pudding? That sounds tasty.

To the point of your topic, I've never heard that before. There's a "drink" called an oyster shooter, which is essentially a bloody mary with an oyster in it.

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by carlhuber
Bread and butter pudding? That sounds tasty.

To the point of your topic, I've never heard that before. There's a "drink" called an oyster shooter, which is essentially a bloody mary with an oyster in it.

Bread and butter pudding is pretty standard stuff here in England; although this was a superlative version of it, with a nice sauce anglaise.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i heard someone once say that eating a raw oyster was like making love to the ocean. i have to agree.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
B,

sounds like a fine meal to me

could it be that spirits and osters don't support each others flavors?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads