• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxxford Type A Model - Any Thoughts?

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just came across a deal on one of these online - measurements are spot on and price is right, but there isn't a lot of information on these. I called the flagship store in NYC, but they didn't have too much to say other than it was a "softer, thinly padded shoulder model that is much more like a classic Italian silhouette than our traditional models."

Any thoughts on the cut, fit, shoulders, and style of this model?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spark
Just came across a deal on one of these online - measurements are spot on and price is right, but there isn't a lot of information on these. I called the flagship store in NYC, but they didn't have too much to say other than it was a "softer, thinly padded shoulder model that is much more like a classic Italian silhouette than our traditional models."

Any thoughts on the cut, fit, shoulders, and style of this model?

Very light shoulder padding and the slimmest cut of any Oxxford model. Handwork, fabrics, etc are great (like with any Oxxford suit).

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here own one of these?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One was on sale on B & S a couple of weeks back.

Where did you see the Type A online ?

chatty

Reaction score
I own one. Bought on sale at their NYC store. Very nice, although I did get double pleated pants. And it's cut for someone with a more flattering figure, so the pleats are popping.

if you aren't that slim, I would avoid pleats because you could run into the same problem I had.

But definitely agree that this cut feels very italian...a much slimmer cut

Also, if you have big arms, i feel like the sleeves are a little narrow.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a solid navy 40R type A on eBay and it's quite nice. The shoulders are indeed very lightly padded (in fact, I'd prefer a little more padding, but it's okay). It's slim but not skinny. One thing I like are medium-wide lapels, which you don't often find on a slimmer suit. Mine came with pleated pants also, which I prefer, but the pants are also cut trimmer (Radcliff model) than standard-issue pleated pants. Overall very nice.

For some reason these seemed to fall off a truck around six months ago; not sure where they were initially meant to be sold. But they're on eBay and have been in Filene's too.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all - How would you say this compares to say an Isaia in terms of fit and silhouette?

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
I bought a solid navy 40R type A on eBay and it's quite nice. The shoulders are indeed very lightly padded (in fact, I'd prefer a little more padding, but it's okay). It's slim but not skinny. One thing I like are medium-wide lapels, which you don't often find on a slimmer suit. Mine came with pleated pants also, which I prefer, but the pants are also cut trimmer (Radcliff model) than standard-issue pleated pants. Overall very nice.

For some reason these seemed to fall off a truck around six months ago; not sure where they were initially meant to be sold. But they're on eBay and have been in Filene's too.

+1. I have a solid navy in 40S, and these are my impressions as well. At first, I thought the fit was a bit too slim and the coat too short (I'm 5' 10", 160 lbs.), but that was because I was more accustomed to BBGF and the more tradional Oxxford models. In fact, I posted fit pictures on SF, and most thought the length was either just right, or even a bit too long.

I had it tailored a bit, and now I think it's my best fitting suit (along with a BBGF Regent). Like needshoehelp, I was pleased that the lapels aren't too skinny (like those on the Radcliff model coat that I bought, and later returned).

Ben Silver now sells the model A by special order, but I believe theirs is from the "budget" 1220 series ($2495).

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
The "A" Body is very Neapolitan, minimal shoulder padding and trim fitting. I sell this model mostly in the 1220 range. The "B" body (Capitol) is similiar but with a 1/4 larger Point-to-Point and a fuller chest, which I generally sell more in the HQ range.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tony -- I clicked through to your site... is one of those suits in the pics an A model?

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spark
Tony -- I clicked through to your site... is one of those suits in the pics an A model?

The ones on the front page are actually H. Freeman's Fall '10 new models, which are spectacular...

the picture on the sale page the 4th picture down on the right is a A model

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So does it have a natural or a structured shoulder?

Skillet

Reaction score
Is there any Oxxford suit, Type A or otherwise, that fits similar to a Canali 13xxx model? Having a broad chest and shoulders with an 8-10" drop in the waist, I've found that the Canali's fit me very well with almost no alterations to the jacket. Does Oxxford have anything that is comparable?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads