• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxxford suits ebay

Joefitz

Reaction score
I don't have the funds to buy a bespoke Oxxford suit, so I search ebay. I did get an Oxxford suit for $115 and a jacket for $50 on ebay, but these are old. I like them, but clearly they are not like a new suit. I see some New With Tags on ebay for about $1000. I know some people say these re old man's suits, but I am quite happy with the fit. Is it worth it to buy one of these or to go MTM or bespoke for that kind of money?

MrBorland

Reaction score
I bought a stylish (i.e. not 'old man") NWT Oxxford suit on eBay that I'm very happy with. It was definitely more than $115, but under $1000 (about a fourth of the cost of a new Oxxford suit), and less than any decent new OTR suit would cost, let alone MTM or bespoke. That said, I wasn't in a hurry to buy a new suit, so I was able to take my time to find "the one".

Any jacket or suit you look at should include clear and accurate measurements, and you should know your own measurements beforehand. Even so, expect a run to your tailor for some fine tuning.

EDIT: Any reason you're zooming in on Oxxford? They have a great reputation for quality, but in general, they also seem to have a fairly conservative style, which may be why some see them as "old man" suits. I'm going out on a limb here, but if you want quality, but a bit less conservative, maybe also look at Brioni, Canali and Samuelsohn.

Last edited:

Joefitz

Reaction score
Thanks. I like the Oxxord "conservative" style. I was wondering it he ebay NWT suits are of the same quality as those in stores (which are out of my price range).

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not believe that Oxxford makes suits at different levels of construction quality. There are different models but AFAIK they are all made to the same standard.

Ecloth

Reaction score
I'm considering buying the suit linked below. But I've never bought a suit on eBay. Measurements are good for me. Are there questions I should be asking, pitfalls I should be looking out for, obvious reasons to pass? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Ecloth

Reaction score
Just checking one more time if anyone has any advice or thoughts.

Cassadine

Reaction score
Just checking one more time if anyone has any advice or thoughts.

They don't make any junk. But much of what on the bay is dated. The ones that are New and have "Highest Quality" label on the inside are the cream of the crop.

Cassadine

Reaction score
This is from a helpful thread on another site.

Oxxford has a number of profiles and models.
In the beginning there was the Ownensia and the Manhattan. No there is the Renaissance XX, the Salvatore, and Oxxford Crest.
The Ownensia and Manhattan are the Oxxford standards. Minially padded, natural shoulders. Think of Geo. W. Bush.

The Renaissance XX is a more recent model. The shoulder is a little longer. Think of Michael Douglas who wore the clothing is a mystery-thriller of about 10 years ago. This is the model carried in Bergdorf.

The Oxxford Crest has a little longer shoulder. Generally, the Oxxford Crest has bolder colors and fabrics. Think of 1940's Hollywood.

I think that a call to either the Oxxford Shop or an Oxxford dealer will answer these questions more authoritatively. The key issue is what looks good on you.

A further word on cut and styling.
I have bought bespoke from London and bespoke and MTM in the USA (Greenfield, Alan Flusser, and others).
I think that Oxxford MTM is as good as bespoke regarding both construction and fit. Furthermore, it is better priced at $2,200 versus 2,000 pounds for my London tailor.
I have Renaissance XX coats (DB with 6 on 2) which are as good as my London stuff.

The key to getting the most out of Oxxford is to work with an experienced salesman/fitter/tailor who knows the product and tailored clothing and is willing to collaborate with you in the process.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads