• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxxford Suit eBay pickup, thoughts?

Zackb911

Reaction score
I'm trying to upgrade/overhaul my professional wardrobe piece by piece. So far this forum has been invaluable! To date most of my suits were from Jos A Bank and Men's Warehouse.
redface.gif
To get on point, I won this earlier today with a best offer of $200, he was asking $270 BIN. It says it was Bespoke and a recent model, seems to have a nice taper to it for an Oxxford which is great since I'm a 10" drop 42" chest and 32" waist. I just wanted to see what your more expert opinions are with respect to quality, value, and style. Did I do well?
biggrin.gif
**EDIT Thanks to Tony Romo I checked with the seller and it was indeed pinched in the back and is not as tapered as it looks. The seller hasn't shipped yet though and is canceling my order. I learned something new to look for and love this forum even more!** http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...253D&viewitem=
6927_side.jpg
Brand: Oxxford Clothes (a *recent* model!) Size: Approximately 42R (Bespoke...slacks might need to be let out - PLEASE SEE MEASUREMENTS!) Closure: Modern 2-button Vent: Single-vented Color: Gray Fabric Content: 100% Super 120's Wool Pants - Pleats: Double-Pleated Cuffed: Yes Lined: No Condition: Excellent Pre-Owned Additional Notes: Buying one of these now will set you back $3000.00+ for retail, so this is a pretty killer buy. The measurements are: # Chest - 45 1/2" # Shoulders - 19 3/4" # Sleeves - 25" (2" to let) # Length - 32" (from the bottom of collar) # Pants Waist - 34" (1" to let) # Pants Inseam - 29 1/2" (2" to let)

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all, the jacket seems like it's an L, not an R. What is your height? I predict, that either the pants will be too short, or the jacket will be too long. Otherwise, not a bad buy. Nothing special, but not bad.

Secondly, the suit's design a little dated. I don't know if you care about that. I certainly wouldn't, as long as it fit me fine.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the drop is misleading since it was probably pinned in the back to look better.

Zackb911

Reaction score
I'm 5' 11" 182lbs.

Didn't think about pinning either... I hope the drop isn't misleading. That's good to keep in mind for future purchases. I also have a good tailor if it's worth getting some waist suppression done. I'll email the seller and clarify. Thanks!

saiyar1

Reaction score
Looks very nice to me. I'm sure the experts here can tell, but to me I don't see anything that makes it glaringly dated (unless you want to count pleats as dated, I still like them on suits).

Please do post pics before any tailoring and then after. I'd be interested to see how it comes out.

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Looks like a nice suit, but a guy with a 10" drop probably won't get his best look from an OTR Oxxford.

Zackb911

Reaction score
You know I hadn't noticed before but it does look long in the pic, the length is 32" from the bottom of the collar. I just double checked and my current suits range from 30.5-32" so I should be ok.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahem...

Originally Posted by acecow
First of all, the jacket seems like it's an L, not an R. What is your height? I predict, that either the pants will be too short, or the jacket will be too long. Otherwise, not a bad buy. Nothing special, but not bad.

Secondly, the suit's design a little dated. I don't know if you care about that. I certainly wouldn't, as long as it fit me fine.

Zackb911

Reaction score
Ahem...
5' 11", this suit is 32" in length my current suits range from 30.5 to just under 32" in length. I'm finishing law school so I'm looking for conservative, though dated would not be a good thing.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You bought it already, so you're stuck with it. Wait for it, try it on, post pics, then decide if it's worth taking it to a tailor. Expect to spend another $100 if you're lucky and $300 if you were not.

Zackb911

Reaction score
Ahem...

You bought it already, so you're stuck with it. Wait for it, try it on, post pics, then decide if it's worth taking it to a tailor. Expect to spend another $100 if you're lucky and $300 if you were not.

Nothing like a little tough love
fistbump.gif

That's the game plan.

Just wanted to hear some insight from those more knowledgeable. Your eye caught the length possibly being an issue when mine did not, thanks!

Zackb911

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
It's a nice classic suit. You'll probably need to find a good tailor (not the drycleaners) and have them take the waist in on the jacket.
Thank you sir, I do have a good tailor in Boston should it need attention. He comes well regarded, is affordable, and only deals in Men's suits. This is a test purchase, it was the drop in the pic and reputation of Oxxford that caught my eye. I know I should be looking for RLBL, Paul Smith, and other "euro" cut suits given my build. I'm hoping the drop in the pictures isn't misleading otherwise I may be out of luck on this one. I should know sometime next week.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zackb911
5' 11", this suit is 32" in length my current suits range from 30.5 to just under 32" in length. I'm finishing law school so I'm looking for conservative, though dated would not be a good thing.
It looks like a good suit. It does look dated, however. It could imply that you were buying good suits years ago.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, the deal breaker is the double-pleated pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads