• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxxford slacks

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a vintage (early 1980s) Oxxford suit in eBay and noticed that the right side (while wearing) of the slacks has two belt loops, while the left side only has one. Â At first, I thought that one of the belt loops had fallen off, but then I noticed that other Oxxfords, such as this one, had the same missing (or extra) belt loop. Â Is there a point to this asymmetry, or is it a design oddity of Oxxford?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a vintage (early 1980s) Oxxford suit in eBay and noticed that the right side (while wearing) of the slacks has two belt loops, while the left side only has one. Â At first, I thought that one of the belt loops had fallen off, but then I noticed that other Oxxfords, such as this one, had the same missing (or extra) belt loop. Â Is there a point to this asymmetry, or is it a design oddity of Oxxford?
for watch?

petescolari

Reaction score
I believe the extra loop on the right serves to keep the belt end closer to the pant/body. I have only seen this on Oxxford pants, but I am sure there are others that have it as well.

I could be wrong though.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's an Oxxford trademark. It does seem to serve the purpose that petescolari mentioned.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds right, but it seems odd -- don't most right handers wrap their belt around their waist counter-clockwise so that the belt would go from the right to the left? Â Maybe I'm just weird. Â
biggrin.gif

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the loop is put on a side where it isn't useful to most right handers. Thus, it becomes more of a trademark than anything else -- or maybe it's telling us that we're looping our belts the wrong way.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or maybe just a quick way to tell if your Oxxford is real or not.  Although I would imagine that Oxxford is at the very top of the list of high-end clothing items that are rarely faked considering the amount of work one would have to undertake to produce a convincing replica, with comparably little return.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Or maybe just a quick way to tell if your Oxxford is real or not. Although I would imagine that Oxxford is at the very top of the list of high-end clothing items that are rarely faked considering the amount of work one would have to undertake to produce a convincing replica, with comparably little return.
If one can make a fake Oxxford with the same quality, then one should start one's own suit making business.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Just spoke to Tashay at the Oxxford Shop on E. 57th St. He doesn't know the answer. Tashay was asked the same question by a customer, and Tashay relayed the question to the Chicago factory. He couldn't get an answer. He confirmed that the belt loops are placed in this manner on the RTW. He has some cutomers who have placed the two loops on the other side on their MTM orders which Oxxford is willing to do. He also mentioned that whereas most RTW slacks have a button on the left, rear pocket, Oxxford RTW has it on the right, rear pocket. I never noticed this since I order MTM, and I order it with the button on the left side. Therefore, it seems that this is one of Oxxford's design quirks. I'll see if I can get an answer from some of the other Oxxford people.
dontgetit.gif

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
confused.gif
Just returned from the Oxxford shop. None of the boys know the rationale, if any, for the loop placement. One of the guys said that even on MTM the factory places the double loops even when there are explicit orders to delete them. They delete the second loop in the store's tailor shop. Andy at the shop ventured to guess that the double loops are in the standard pattern and that the factory follows the set pattern on every order. After all, Oxxford is a factory with an assembly line manner of production. I was wrong about what one of the men said about the back button placement. The Oxxford RTW trousers has a button on the left rear pocket, not the right rear as I reported before. Tashay was under the impression that a button on right pocket is the standard and that Oxxford deviated from that standard. The shop is going to undergo (finally) its post-flood renovations. Happy holidays.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alas, this appears to be one of life's great mysteries, along with "Why are we here?", "Who killed JFK?", and "What happened to Steven Seagal's career?"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads