1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Oxxford slacks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

I recently purchased a vintage (early 1980s) Oxxford suit in eBay and noticed that the right side (while wearing) of the slacks has two belt loops, while the left side only has one. Â At first, I thought that one of the belt loops had fallen off, but then I noticed that other Oxxfords, such as this one, had the same missing (or extra) belt loop. Â Is there a point to this asymmetry, or is it a design oddity of Oxxford?

2. ernest

ernest Distinguished Member

for watch?

3. petescolari

petescolari Senior Member

I believe the extra loop on the right serves to keep the belt end closer to the pant/body. I have only seen this on Oxxford pants, but I am sure there are others that have it as well.

I could be wrong though.

4. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

It's an Oxxford trademark. It does seem to serve the purpose that petescolari mentioned.

5. Ambulance Chaser

That sounds right, but it seems odd -- don't most right handers wrap their belt around their waist counter-clockwise so that the belt would go from the right to the left? Â Maybe I'm just weird. Â [​IMG]

6. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

Yes, the loop is put on a side where it isn't useful to most right handers. Thus, it becomes more of a trademark than anything else -- or maybe it's telling us that we're looping our belts the wrong way.

7. Ambulance Chaser

Or maybe just a quick way to tell if your Oxxford is real or not.  Although I would imagine that Oxxford is at the very top of the list of high-end clothing items that are rarely faked considering the amount of work one would have to undertake to produce a convincing replica, with comparably little return.

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

If one can make a fake Oxxford with the same quality, then one should start one's own suit making business.

9. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior Member

I'll be in the Oxxford store on Saturday, and I'll try to get an answer.

10. Mark Seitelman

Just spoke to Tashay at the Oxxford Shop on E. 57th St. He doesn't know the answer. Tashay was asked the same question by a customer, and Tashay relayed the question to the Chicago factory. He couldn't get an answer. He confirmed that the belt loops are placed in this manner on the RTW. He has some cutomers who have placed the two loops on the other side on their MTM orders which Oxxford is willing to do. He also mentioned that whereas most RTW slacks have a button on the left, rear pocket, Oxxford RTW has it on the right, rear pocket. I never noticed this since I order MTM, and I order it with the button on the left side. Therefore, it seems that this is one of Oxxford's design quirks. I'll see if I can get an answer from some of the other Oxxford people. [​IMG]

11. Mark Seitelman

[​IMG] Just returned from the Oxxford shop. None of the boys know the rationale, if any, for the loop placement. One of the guys said that even on MTM the factory places the double loops even when there are explicit orders to delete them. They delete the second loop in the store's tailor shop. Andy at the shop ventured to guess that the double loops are in the standard pattern and that the factory follows the set pattern on every order. After all, Oxxford is a factory with an assembly line manner of production. I was wrong about what one of the men said about the back button placement. The Oxxford RTW trousers has a button on the left rear pocket, not the right rear as I reported before. Tashay was under the impression that a button on right pocket is the standard and that Oxxford deviated from that standard. The shop is going to undergo (finally) its post-flood renovations. Happy holidays.

12. Ambulance Chaser

Alas, this appears to be one of life's great mysteries, along with "Why are we here?", "Who killed JFK?", and "What happened to Steven Seagal's career?"