• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxxford or Made-to-Measure with Lonsdail or Raphael

DrJimbo

Reaction score
I currently live in New York and have usually had my suits made by Oxxford. I have asked several times when being fitted for suits at Oxxford if I need a completely custom fit or if made-to-order will suffice and have been assured that I do not need a completely custom fit.

With that said, while I love the quality of workmanship, their double-breasted style is a bit fuller than is always to my liking. As such I am exploring two other tailors in New York who have been recommended on this forum. I have had an appointment with Raphael and am scheduled to meet with Len Lonsdail after the new year. With respect to quality of workmanship are Raphael and Lonsdail the equal of Oxxford? I ask because I like Raphael's styles, but don't want to "trade-down" in quality in any way.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
I have not purchased from Logsdail and Raphael. From the suits that I have seen on members and from members' testimony, they both make excellent and traditional handmade suits.

I think that the Raphael, Logsdail, and Oxxford coats would match-up on the amount of handwork both visible and in the interior. However, each maker's coat will have individual touches.

The Logsdail and Raphael suits would not have some of the Oxxford flourishes and signature touches. E.g., Oxxford's front buttonholes are double sided. Oxxford also has the interior bellows pockets. Oxxford also has a certain way of stitching the armholes, but I suspect that R and L have similar methods. However, Oxxford's one piece waistband is unique to Oxxford. I have not seen it duplicated. I would assume that these tailors do a traditional full skirt waistband.

I think that a bespoke suit from each one of these master tailors is worth experiencing at least once.

Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads