Oxxford Opportunity

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Connemara, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Need some sartorial advice.

I have an opportunity sitting in front of me. I can purchase an Oxxford (navy 2B SB pinstripe in dark navy) for under $100. Not sure how much this particular model originally cost, but I'm assuming a few thousand.

The catch: there's a snag on the pocket seam. Here's a photo:

[​IMG]

Is this repairable? Should I spring for the suit (even if it's not)?

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Need some sartorial advice.

I have an opportunity sitting in front of me. I can purchase an Oxxford (navy 2B SB pinstripe in dark navy) for under $100. Not sure how much this particular model originally cost, but I'm assuming a few thousand.

The catch: there's a snag on the pocket seam. Here's a photo:

[​IMG]

Is this repairable? Should I spring for the suit (even if it's not)?

If it's used, $100 isn't that spectacular a bargain. I'm having a hard time making out the pic, but it looks like it would at least require a reweaving, and that ain't cheap.

3. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

It's likely that a good re-weaver can mend the area invisibly for you. Not knowing exactly where the problem area is and what donor cloth is available, I can't speak more definitely.

Are you feeling lucky? [​IMG]

4. Connemara

Well, I don't own a decent suit. As a young chap about to head off to college, I think it may be a great investment.

5. Full Canvas

If that is a trouser pocket edge in the photo, you might have an alterations tailor simply "cheat the eye" by turning the edge under to take the offending area out of view.

Few, if any, people will see such a minor imbalance. That would allow you to forego the expense of reweaving that both DocHolliday and I mentioned in our replies.

6. Connemara

The seller claims it is on the pocket seam.

Wish me luck, gentlemen...I think I'm going for it.[​IMG]

7. DocHolliday

If it's as small as it looks like, you might be able to color it in with a marker. I did this with a white spot on a Brooks tie and it worked out great.

Poor man's reweaving!

8. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

That is a very confusing picture. I can't for the life of me figure out what "seam" it is.

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

It looks to me to be on a front pocket edge. Perhaps something placed in the pocket caught it or caused wear.

10. Connemara

It looks to me to be on a front pocket edge. Perhaps something placed in the pocket caught it or caused wear.

That is my theory also, Alan. Thanks for the input.

11. pgoat

pgoat Senior member

If it's as small as it looks like, you might be able to color it in with a marker. I did this with a white spot on a Brooks tie and it worked out great.

Poor man's reweaving!

OMG I've done this too!

12. pgoat

pgoat Senior member

The possibilities suggested by that post are endless. Tired of how your old navy suit looks? Go chalkstripe for the day. Want different brogueing on your shoes? Grab a magic marker. If it worked for fake moustache stubble in junior high, why not revive the technique? [​IMG]

Is anyone familiar with C21 in NYC (across from Ground Zero)? A certain salesman with relevance to the above post? (Hint: hairline)

13. DocHolliday

OMG I've done this too!

I only tried it because I really liked the tie and there was only one of that pattern available. The tie had a small white spot, about the size of a pinhead, and it really stood out against the bright red background. But not once I hit it with the marker!

14. rip

rip Active Member

It's likely that a good re-weaver can mend the area invisibly for you. Not knowing exactly where the problem area is and what donor cloth is available, I can't speak more definitely. Are you feeling lucky? [​IMG] _________________________
    Reweaving ain't cheap! I can't tell what size the damaged area is from your picture, but any size is probably going to cost you at least $100, probably more; $100 for the suit + $100 for mending... you do the math. It's not such a good deal since you can frequently pick up Oxxford suits in perfect condition on Ebay for less than $200.

15. Full Canvas

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Full Canvas
    It's likely that a good re-weaver can mend the area invisibly for you. Not knowing exactly where the problem area is and what donor cloth is available, I can't speak more definitely.

Are you feeling lucky? [​IMG]

Reweaving ain't cheap! I can't tell what size the damaged area is from your picture, but any size is probably going to cost you at least $100, probably more; $100 for the suit + $100 for mending... you do the math. It's not such a good deal since you can frequently pick up Oxxford suits in perfect condition on Ebay for less than $200.

Therefore, my follow-up (shortly thereafter) of:

"If that is a trouser pocket edge in the photo, you might have an alterations tailor simply "cheat the eye" by turning the edge under to take the offending area out of view.

Few, if any, people will see such a minor imbalance. That would allow you to forego the expense of reweaving that both DocHolliday and I mentioned in our replies."

Nevertheless . . . you're correct, rip, about the cost of reweaving.

Seldom can one justify the expense of passion, addiction, or overpowering and irrational desire.[​IMG]